Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kicking the tyres on whether to upgrade

Options
  • 28-01-2018 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? [€500] incl delivery

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/3D Modelling/Development/General use]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No] Licence linked to ms a/c so hope to just transfer

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes (details below)

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [n/a]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080] [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card]

9. When are you purchasing? [Undecided]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [n/a]

I built (thanks to the help of this forum) a PC in 2011, it has served me well and actually continues to do so. But because time is pushing on, I am pondering the idea of refreshing the build that could potentially give a similar life span as the current build. I have been considering the switch to AMD as their new line looks interesting.

My current build

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K
    Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD55 (B3), Intel P67, ATX, DDR3
    Ram: 8GB (2 x 4) G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 RipjawsX
    GPU: MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 Gaming Twin Frozr
    Storage: 2 x SSD (games + os) and HDD for storage
    PSU: Super-Flower SF800P14XE Golden Green 80plus gold
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 (pretty big)

My thoughts are with giving AMD a try. I was considering a build around the Ryzen 5 1600. The motherboard and ram choices are a bit of a guess, as I am basing it off of ratings on part picker. I want to hold on the GPU for the moment as prices are a bit mental with the crypto craze currently going on.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (€224.95 @ Komplett)
    Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
    Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
    Total: €450 approx
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-28 14:37 GMT+0000

So what are your thoughts, would it be worth it, would I see a benefit or should I consider holding out a bit longer?

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

At this point wait for Zen 2 which is due soon, or consider Intel Coffee Lake. The new hex-core i5's are excellent (though more expensive than their six core AMD competitors - but when you're coming from a 2011 CPU and want similar lifespan....).

Going from an overclocked 2500K to a Ryzen 1600 will show some gains in some areas, but personally I'd go either one of the 8 core Ryzen or hex core Intel Coffee Lake at a minimum if longevity is the aim for an overall system refresh.

But makes sense to wait and see what new Ryzen lineup brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

I can definitely wait, the current rig is by no means creaking. I also see my original budget will need to be revised, but that is OK considering I'm going for the long haul. Not opposed to going Intel again but out of curiosity, considering Zen 2, would you really want to be an early adopter of a new chip or would it be considered stable enough seeing its more of a refresh?

Advertisement