Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knife by O'Neill & Thompson, Dublin

• 28-01-2018 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me more about this knife or the retailer whose name is stamped on the blade: "O'Neill Son & Thompson- Henry Street & Nassau Street". The blade is 12" long, overall length is 17.5", blade is quite thin, flexible and sharp! Nice bone handle with embossed coat of arms, blade tang is pinned, as per photo. I presume this would be considered a bread knife? It's in remarkably good condition, I don't know how old this might be but I imagine it must be 50 years old amyway. I'd like to use it at home. I can't find much on the web about this firm, I presume they would have been retailing knives and cutlery made by others mostly (and Sheffield in the main)? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Given the length of the blade and the smooth edge, it's more likely a carving knife designed to tackle the likes of a large turkey and it probably came as a set with a carving fork and sometimes, a steel to sharpen the blade.

Example:

antique-english-sheffield-steel-and-bakelite-carving-set-3-pieces-0149?aspect=fit&width=640&height=640

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Very interesting, not sure I should use the blade for cutting turkey or bread now! Funnily enough I remember as a child visiting an auction room with my parents more than 35 years ago and seeing a medical instruments case for sale with surgeons tools- a saw, I remember and possibly some trepanning equipment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The company claimed to be 'razor and surgical instrument makers and cutlers to Her Majesty and the Lord Lieutenant'

Which means they supplied cutlery to Queen Victoria and the Viceregal Lodge in Dublin.

Which would have included carving sets.

Advertisement