Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spotting Scope Help

• 28-01-2018 5:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks. First post in this part of the forum as I've been strictly hunting til now... I plan to get into a little target shooting out to 300 yds max. I've been doing my homework on spotting scopes but there's a huge variety of opinions on the subject online... I want to buy once & buy right rather then getting onto something I'll be selling in 3 months time.

That said, I don't have Leica / Zeiss money to spend. I've been looking at Redfield and Vortex (a brand I love and like their rifle scopes).

Basically, will 45x zoom do me for my intended use or do I need 60x, and will Vortex diamondback and similar price range work, or must I spend more?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Ziggieire

There are a hand full of the Vortex Diamondback on the line most weekends.
    I have a Razor HD and on a clear day its hard to tell them apart, now on lower light or mist rain the Razor comes into its own, but at a little over twice the price.
    The Diamondback is a great option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Robotack

Just the sort of info I'm after, thanks... Low light is not really an issue for me because I have descent binos for hunting so the spotting scope will be largely range specific, and the range is rather exposed to weather so dull or rain usually means high wind so probably would not be shooting too much.

What I really want to know is, will I be able to clearly see my holes on paper @300 in bright conditions with the diamondback?... The Viper HD also get great reviews but they too are €800 ballpark.

Oh, and would you entertain 60mm obj lens or should I be going 80??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭clivej

Robotack wrote: »
    Just the sort of info I'm after, thanks... Low light is not really an issue for me because I have descent binos for hunting so the spotting scope will be largely range specific, and the range is rather exposed to weather so dull or rain usually means high wind so probably would not be shooting too much.

What I really want to know is, will I be able to clearly see my holes on paper @300 in bright conditions with the diamondback?... The Viper HD also get great reviews but they too are €800 ballpark.

Always go bigger. it gives a brighter picture.
    I have a cheap'o Bresser 25-75x100mm Aldi spoting scope with tripod and bag that I got secondhand for 50 yoyo's. It does all I'd want it to do out to 600y. I think they sold for 150 yoyo's at the time.
    I hear lads are happy enough with the smaller Aldi spoting scopes that they sell from time to time

Ill ask a lad who has one

would the vortex dimondback spotter see holes at 300 yards ?
    Yes all day long I could see holes in paper at 600 yards yesterday.

what size objective do you use?

There you have it,
    Let me know if you need any other help

• Advertisement

Really appreciate the help!! I'm getting a good deal on the 60mm but not the 80.... Can't make that much difference I suppose... Well, I hope it doesn't make 250quid difference which is what I'd be paying extra for the 80mm.

For the ranges you are talking about you wont be loosing out anything using the 60.

Much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Just bought a minox Tactical with the reticle, but it has not arrived yet so can't say if it is good or not. I chose 12-40 mag.
    edi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

I mentioned this here before, but once again.
    Buy/get an old mobile phone or a mates, set up beside target (maybe not possible in some ranges) use another mobile phone to view via whatsapp or ip webcam app etc.
    Much cheaper than a scope imo

• Advertisement
Advertisement