Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to check if planning was required?

Options
  • 28-01-2018 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

We have a kitchen extension that was built more than 30 years ago. It was here when we moved in so I reckon it's nearer 40 years going on what neighbours told us.
    Thing is I dont know whether planning was ever got or even needed at the time.
    It's approx 10m2

Did it ever need planning?
    Do I need to look at getting a retention order at this stage.
    The plan is to sell up at some point so I don't want anything to hold that up

All advice welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If you are planning to sell up then best to get it sorted now instead of in a rush during a sale.

You need to engage a local architect, engineer or Surveyor. They will check your address against the Planning register and the building bye law register.

They can also check area etc to confirm if it meets the exemption criteria.

You will need the following :

Copy of granted Planning
    Cert to confirm it’s built in compliance with that Planning.
    Cert to confirm building regulation compliance.

Or

Cert to say it is Planning exempted and built in accordance with the building regulations from a visual inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

We had an engineer look at an old extension to our house revently- our extension is 9 point something sq m, and would not have been planning compliant. In 1974, you could build an extension of 8.4 sq m without planning. That area increased in the 80’s, and again in the 90s.
    The most straightforward thing to do is probably to get retention on it, although if it’s that old, and no one has objected this far, the council couldn’t take any action at this stage, and possibly the bank would give a mortgage anyhow.

Apparently all councils are different- in some areas, the council are happy if old extensions would comply with current guidelines re:size, while others look to know if they would have been compliant at the time of construction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I came accross this on the DCC site

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning/frequently-asked-questions-planning#Can I build an extension to my home without having to seek planning permission?
    Broadly speaking, the construction of an extension or conservatory does not require planning permission when it is to the rear of the house; however, any query from the public of this nature should be dealt with subject to the provisions of Part 1 of the 2nd Schedule to the Planning and Development Regulations, 2001.

The following should be seen only as general guidelines;

Terraced and Semi-Detached Houses: If the house has not been previously extended, the floor area of the proposed extension cannot exceed 40 sq metres. This exemption also allows for extensions above ground-floor level (if the house is semi-detached or terraced, the area of the above ground extension cannot exceed 12 sq. m). This means, for a typical semi-detached house, one could have a ground floor extension of 28sq. m & 2nd floor extension of 12sq m without applying for planning permission. Any above ground floor extension shall be a distance of not less than 2 metres from any party boundary.

It would seem I am covered....or maybe not!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭californiabear

Did you buy or inherit the house? If you bought it, your solicitor would have checked this out at the time (you said this extension was there when you moved in).

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I came accross this on the DCC site

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning/frequently-asked-questions-planning#Can I build an extension to my home without having to seek planning permission?
    Broadly speaking, the construction of an extension or conservatory does not require planning permission when it is to the rear of the house; however, any query from the public of this nature should be dealt with subject to the provisions of Part 1 of the 2nd Schedule to the Planning and Development Regulations, 2001.

The following should be seen only as general guidelines;

Terraced and Semi-Detached Houses: If the house has not been previously extended, the floor area of the proposed extension cannot exceed 40 sq metres. This exemption also allows for extensions above ground-floor level (if the house is semi-detached or terraced, the area of the above ground extension cannot exceed 12 sq. m). This means, for a typical semi-detached house, one could have a ground floor extension of 28sq. m & 2nd floor extension of 12sq m without applying for planning permission. Any above ground floor extension shall be a distance of not less than 2 metres from any party boundary.

It would seem I am covered....or maybe not!

Whether or not you need planning permission is purely dependent on the planning regs in existence at the time of construction.

So if the extension was built forty years ago its not subject to the 2001 planning regs

• Advertisement

Did you buy or inherit the house? If you bought it, your solicitor would have checked this out at the time (you said this extension was there when you moved in).

It was my parents house initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Did you buy or inherit the house? If you bought it, your solicitor should have checked this out at the time (you said this extension was there when you moved in).

A slight change to your post but it's an important one! You wouldn't believe some things I've seen go through in house sales!

Did you buy or inherit the house? If you bought it, your solicitor should have checked this out at the time (you said this extension was there when you moved in).

A slight change to your post but it's an important one! You wouldn't believe some things I've seen go through in house sales!
    Coincidentally, I had originally written should but changed it before posting!!

It was my parents house initially.
    Best course of action is to engage local engineer or surveyor and they will look into it for you. A retention application should be straightforward if it is necessary due to the length of time the structure is in place. Very sensible to think about this now rather than when you're sale agreed.

Has anyone any recommendations for engineers/ surveyors in Dublin....or are there any on here ?

thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement