Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who should he talk to...

Options
  • 28-01-2018 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Ok long story . Son finished apprenticeship early last year . Signed new contract with "company" basic one setting out his title days of work etc. "Company" decided to add on call rota to his job. He asked management for breakdown of his contract with this new part added ie what was expected during the on call, how long it was for, what happens during rota change etc. No written confirmation was given so after a few months he approached his Union rep to help . Union rep has come back stating that "the contract cannot be found" . Loads of back and forth between him & rep which has resulted in rep informing him that top management are "aware" of him and have it in for him. Now he's totally stressed ,upset and feels like he's been bullied. He can't understand why this has happened and would like to talk to somebody who could advise him . I don't want him to quit but he's feeling like it's the only way to go.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Ok long story . Son finished apprenticeship early last year . Signed new contract with "company" basic one setting out his title days of work etc. "Company" decided to add on call rota to his job. He asked management for breakdown of his contract with this new part added ie what was expected during the on call, how long it was for, what happens during rota change etc. No written confirmation was given so after a few months he approached his Union rep to help . Union rep has come back stating that "the contract cannot be found" . Loads of back and forth between him & rep which has resulted in rep informing him that top management are "aware" of him and have it in for him. Now he's totally stressed ,upset and feels like he's been bullied. He can't understand why this has happened and would like to talk to somebody who could advise him . I don't want him to quit but he's feeling like it's the only way to go.

Sorry, but nothing you posted there indicates he is being bullied or that the company have it in for him, he is basing this on the word of his union rep who sounds less than helpful. How does he fell bullied? He should have his own copy of his employment contract, this often contains a clause about change in work practices when business requirements make it necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Many places would get nervous of him asking loads of questions about his contract and the details regarding the change of work.

I wouldn’t particularly trust the union rep, he could be talking out of both sides of his mouth and painting your son as a troublemaker.

Tell him to return to work and keep his head down, stop asking questions and he’ll find out soon enough what’s going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Twelve Bar Blues

I agree with above posts.
    In previous jobs, I sometimes felt that going with the Union was convoluted and made SOME simple enough queries in to a bigger deal that they should have been.
    After a few experiences, I just approached the manager personally. In a matter-of-fact, friendly way your son should ask if he could clarify some points about his on-call duties. Clear the air. And I think it's good to get used to doing this when your starting out at work so that dealing with your boss doesn't become daunting.

Advertisement