Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's begun - Dublin's Scientology Center enticing toddlers & parents

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

And think of the publicity you just put up for them :) mind you it is fundraising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It's ok, they have freshly ground Italian coffee.

Didn't know the Italians free coffee!!

They're going further than that- they have their Irish Headquarters across the road from Leinster House- it's a full-on assault to penetrate the Irish Religious market and pedal their bullsh1te to anyone who has the money and/or vulnerability to sign-up.

They want to befriend politicians to gain legitimacy and more to the point, charity tax status in Ireland-it will be the end of their career whatever politician who tables that motion.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/scientologists-hired-firm-to-lobby-politicians-on-church-ideals-1.3365998

Nice article from the Times here outlining their MO: I think half the battle with these cults is knowing how they go about doing things- then tell them to sling their hook. They have the predatory instincts of the worst kind of criminal you can think of and a massive bank balance to back up their activities.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/scientology-in-ireland-a-spy-network-setting-honey-traps-1.2827288

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

These lads give women their human rights and don't actively encourage killing Gays, Christians or Jews. There is bigger threats than a few Scientologists. This is called Religious Tolerance. However we should NOT be tolerating the elephant in the room who is guilty of preaching and legitimizing the aforementioned.

Doltanian wrote: »
    These lads give women their human rights and don't actively encourage killing Gays, Christians or Jews. There is bigger threats than a few Scientologists. This is called Religious Tolerance. However we should NOT be tolerating the elephant in the room who is guilty of preaching and legitimizing the aforementioned.

Scientology is not recognised as a religion in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Do you have any other scratched records to play, no?

It is much more deserving of Religious status than other Religions which should be outlawed for what they really are State-Terrorism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

If the coffee is free people would do anything for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

It's almost as if people don't have to go to things like this if they don't desire to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

It is much more deserving of Religious status than other Religions which should be outlawed for what they really are State-Terrorism.

And the CIA don't sponsor state terrorism ? Sure they don't, Harmless folk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Possible venue for the next boards.ie Meetup?
    Beers probably not, but free coffees and pasties!!
    With enough of us, we can all ensure we don't get indoctrinated or whatever...
    The perfect crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Over christmas, they had a funfair "for the community", I went in with the family and the kids met santa. The official photographer wanted to take my daughters photo and we refused.

Got a few mince pies and stuff, bought a coffee, and then left. We were not approached by anyone so think they are starting off softly softly.

I literally choked on my coffee though, they had christmas music playing. Chris DeBurgh's A spaceman came travelling came on, Holy crap, isn't that their destiny? A spaceship is coming to collect them. The wife thought I was having a funny turn.

Fecking loopers.

Come to think of it, they were up at fairyhouse market before christmas, all dressed in yellow, giving free massages, it was only when you read the blurb on the walls of the stall, you see "Our founder Ron L Hubbard".......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

whiskeyman wrote: »
    The perfect crime.

Or pregnant , imagine getting pregnant at a boards.ie meet up in the Church of Scientology whatchamacallit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

All hail Xenu, how else are the supposed to find the third reincarnation of the great one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

How many terrorist attacks can be blamed on Scientology I can't think of the number?

europe2.jpg

And the CIA don't sponsor state terrorism ? Sure they don't, Harmless folk.

Yes they do, but they are what they are and don't pretend to be anything different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

whiskeyman wrote: »
    The perfect crime.

If anyone needs to borrow a child for the occasion I'm sure it can be arranged :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How many terrorist attacks can be blamed on Scientology I can't think of the number?

europe2.jpg

If item number two is worse than item number one it doesn't mean item number one isn't a bad idea.

kneemos wrote: »
    If item number two is worse than item number one it doesn't mean item number one isn't a bad idea.

Yes but one should get their priorities straight.
    It's is daft to moan about the colour of the wallpaper while the house is on fire.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Wtf has that got to do with anything? Just because they haven't committed terrorist acts doesn't mean that it's actually desirable to have them around.

• Advertisement

Yes but one should get their priorities straight.
    It's is daft to moan about the colour of the wallpaper while the house is on fire.

One is a weird relatively harmless Religion and the other is homophobic misogynistic terrorism masquerading as a genuine Religion and defended to the death by the hard-left politically correct marxist types, that cartoon sums it up perfectly.

Zaph wrote: »
    Wtf has that got to do with anything? Just because they haven't committed terrorist acts doesn't mean that it's actually desirable to have them around.

They are not desirable but why not speak about a religion many times worse.
    Why only get your bloomers in a twist now.

That big Islamic centre has a seperate entrance for women and I have yet to her any feminists cry about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Noone is forcing anyone in their doors unlike the catholics who grab your kids early whether you like it or not.

Adults do not have to be 'protected' from ideas. Well they shouldn't anyway. Kids on the other hand do.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Because this is a thread about Scientology, not Islam. It's pure whataboutery. Yes, there are a lot of worse things going on in the world, but saying that X isn't so bad because Y is so much worse isn't a reasoned argument.

One is a weird relatively harmless Religion and the other is homophobic misogynistic terrorism masquerading as a genuine Religion and defended to the death by the hard-left politically correct marxist types, that cartoon sums it up perfectly.

How much are they paying you?
    Are you head of their social media campaign? It's just that you're not doing a very good job and you should be fired.
    Have you met any aliens yet?
    Does Tom Cruise fart in bed?
    Where have you hidden your space ships?

Zaph wrote: »
    Yes, there are a lot of worse things going on in the world, but saying that X isn't so bad because Y is so much worse isn't a reasoned argument.

Hey that sounds JUST like a Scientology argument :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

shinju wrote: »
    Was looking for parents coffee mornings and sounded great... until i noticed who it is sponsored by and where it is held.
    Yep, get them in as toddlers and let the brainwashing begin at as early an age as possible.

You should go along if you think it's so great. Sign up to some courses while you are there.
    They want to befriend politicians to gain legitimacy and more to the point, charity tax status in Ireland-it will be the end of their career whatever politician who tables that motion.

If they decide to go for charitable status in the RoI, they'll get it no problem. The CoS beat the IRS into submission in the USA. The authorities here wouldn't even be a challenge for them.

Not correct. On the tone scale, an evaluation scale that Hubbard came up with, LGBT people have one of the lowest scores, 1.1. Hubbard classified them as perverts and a danger to society. He also said the homosexuals don't practice love and they have no redeeming social value. Sorry for bursting your RCC rant bubble.

Scientology is far from harmless. It estranges families, bankrupts it's members, and requires children abandon their childhoods. People have committed suicide because of the demands it makes of them. They isolate and abuse some of those who transgress and operate a policy of persecution towards anyone who seeks to expose their practices.

You can compare it with established religions all you like, it doesn't make it less dangerous or toxic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

What? We can only speak about one bad thing at a time now? Like we need to pick a specific cause and ONLY focus on that one?
    Why only get your bloomers in a twist now.

Seems to me there's nobody actually getting their bloomers in a twist, well, besides you that is.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Noone is forcing anyone in their doors unlike the catholics who grab your kids early whether you like it or not.

Adults do not have to be 'protected' from ideas. Well they shouldn't anyway. Kids on the other hand do.

Eh, they ARE targeting children

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/scientologists-seek-planning-permission-to-build-playground-at-controversial-dublin-centre-36520670.html

The Church of Scientology has applied for planning permission to build a playground at its centre in south Dublin.
    The application was made on January 16 of this year and outlines plans for a 17sqm internal playground at its community centre in Firhouse.
    It follows the opening of a "Winter Wonderland" at the centre over the Christmas period.

The event featured fairground rides, Santa Claus and several other children’s activities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Eh, they ARE targeting children

Didn't say they weren't. Like any religion they want to get people in early when they are open to manipulation. Generally in playgrounds kids are with their parents.

When the only schools available in an area are scientologist then there will be a problem.

When the only schools available in an area are scientologist then there will be a problem.

That's a bit of a passive attitude.

They're already trying to infiltrate schools with their literature- again, targeting kids. Thankfully in this case the teacher spotted their game.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/how-scientology-is-trying-to-insert-itself-into-irish-schools-1.3327646

The material came from an organisation called Youth for Human Rights, one of about 500 organisations operating internationally that are widely regarded as front groups for the Church of Scientology. The Dublin teacher was familiar with the group, having previously taught his class a module on Scientology. He had even used some of the organisation’s own material to illustrate how it operates.
    “I was pretty savvy, just because I was aware of it in the past. But, as a teacher, the resource packs are really, really good. I would be afraid that a young, naive teacher would be taken in. “You’re grappling for resources, and when you’re teaching the topic of human rights, which falls into so many different subjects, you would think it’s fantastic.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The hysteria around them here is bordering on comical at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

With so many people having left the RCC over the disgusting pedo coverups, i think Scienconology believe they can grab some of those disillusioned people into their ranks.

They are far from harmless, waiting for their time to strike. A handmaids tale in waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Didn't say they weren't. Like any religion they want to get people in early when they are open to manipulation. Generally in playgrounds kids are with their parents.

Looks like we have ourselves a Scientology PR conscript.

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    The hysteria around them here is bordering on comical at this stage

I see no hysteria on this thread. I'm just posting facts about them relating to Ireland that people may be interested to read, as this is an Irish based discussion forum. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They'll lobby revenue, government etc to be considered one in time though so they can get charity status to avoid tax,
    Just like they campaigned against the IRS in the USA,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

dxf659dsM5NT7met_fwwGtlYB5PlX6S3Yw-kU2B9zd466lpAG0y06VGiOVseb6ZbL8-8CLhmRacGXf2DU3ViYJoOMbfduh3XWn5jkEXtw6AiSEbQlQDZPnXb-nQdrBwKvbFmJy77Op2mQENs0BwLDI8FFbdohkLVqKS33FATdAPa5iCHS3FwQBGKjHTSU-XyCASq6npfGwcAqp35xwAnuCWQivFYSPSAlqiXSGaIFSoaCTAJMQrAVninPSkgWf6yho8jRy4_oABfGNrumxR-Mq6ez0YeruXUoVR4T_z_YJg_EQAo046fB8MDLLLUgwpCDBCi_O1E7BLrjtseyhGJX3N0JmFKagiffxElEvY2Te-OsQLl9YDqxlgdc3SWXa27Z1u5sd-KlCAux73nBOlCWOO0jBx7IQcDrXc1_p3fWLTaxykBJVfyYLQ2GFYbrttYpZ-K5wQM4rp7MmbS4VuaAq733dmApyLTdlyEH3KGNqCwsRLN8F5W2XIX-Pfy_rXpLnsBqp0eCvxoaHqNVsd1kYAG7aUH3qnyFmWlhvYlTzo0zJzOcenE_TyP8lnPfbW_MdHO18Inzq-POBDm4D28PzM3bbst4UE1C4RsDIc=w682-h384-no

Cabaal wrote: »
    They'll lobby revenue, government etc to be considered one in time though so they can get charity status to avoid tax,

That's why they're based beside Leinster House.

they will, but I don't think they'll be successful.

However, considering they are recognised in Portugal, Czech Republic and the UK but classed as a cult in France and unresolved in Germany, there might be a case to the European Court of Human Rights yet- but that would bring so much bad publicity I don't think they'll go that far.

Interestingly in some countries, some courts have recognised them as a religion and others haven't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Why wait until then?
    Cabaal wrote: »

The didn't lobby the IRS. They got all their members to file lawsuits against them and the IRS gave them charitable status to get them off their backs. It was an onslaught of lawsuits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Snowseer

Can't abide these guys. Remember they used to have a setup on O'Connell Street near a bus stop. Invited myself and my friend up twice when we were both just 14. First time was just a chat. Second time, we were invited to take a stress test.

Being 14 year olds in the city, we were interested in anything different. Judgment wasn't great - so fair play for these guys to promote asking kids to come up to some private room.

The second time - with the stress test - the guy told me that I was stressed about my dad. He said that I should speak to him, instead of my dad. That home life isn't the most important thing.

Dangerous individuals.

Snowseer wrote: »
    Can't abide these guys. Remember they used to have a setup on O'Connell Street near a bus stop. Invited myself and my friend up twice when we were both just 14. First time was just a chat. Second time, we were invited to take a stress test.

Being 14 year olds in the city, we were interested in anything different. Judgment wasn't great - so fair play for these guys to promote asking kids to come up to some private room.

The second time - with the stress test - the guy told me that I was stressed about my dad. He said that I should speak to him, instead of my dad. That home life isn't the most important thing.

Dangerous individuals.

Got "tested" at their centre as a student in Abbey st many moons ago. I knew even back then what they were about. I had time on my hands and was curious to know how they went about things. So yep, same thing, brought me upstairs and asked me to do their written "test". I put a false name and address at the start and completed the test - the wording of the test BTW is worded in such a way that no matter what way you answer it, they'll find fault with how you've responded- it's a bullsh1t test designed to rope you in to their money making racket.

They started recommending some "courses" to me and I told them I had no money- I was a poor student. :p
    They lost interest in me and I walked out- they mustn't have covered objection handling in their sales course. :D

kneemos wrote: »
    Looks like we have ourselves a Scientology PR conscript.

Huh??

The point is their 'religion' is nonsense but no more nonsense than most other religions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

This thread will go on ad infinitum with people saying "it sounds like a religion to me" and "all religions are based on greed" or some bollocks. The fact is that actual religions, even if they later become corrupted, are at least founded on a belief in a higher power. Scientology started off being called "Dianetics" and there was nothing religious about it. It was a self help book.

Dianetics.JPG

L. Ron Hubbard later threw some sci-fi bullshit in there and called it a religion so as to get tax breaks and so that if the authorities investigated his organisation he could claim they were interfering with his religious freedom.

They don't commit terrorist acts for the simple reason that they're a business who don't actually believe in anything other than increasing their wealth.

I'd like to see the people that say "it's the same as any other religion" name just one major religion that wasn't founded on the belief in a higher power.

I've read a lot about Scientology and Hubbard.. Depressing stuff.

The only good thing to ever come out of Scientology is the comical whitewashing of his life story.

http://www.lronhubbard.org

I really recommend watching it, especially if you already know how pathetic he really was.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Master of the Omniverse

So let me see,they seem particularly interested in children.Ffs.Does anybody here think they are a truly benevolent organisation?It just shows what a bunch of ****in tossers our gov.is by allowing them so much freedom over here,when they have caused so many problems worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Master of the Omniverse

I've read a lot about Scientology and Hubbard.. Depressing stuff.

The only good thing to ever come out of Scientology is the comical whitewashing of his life story.

http://www.lronhubbard.org

I really recommend watching it, especially if you already know how pathetic he really was.

I think theres alot more to hubbard than people would ever imagine.

I'd like to see the people that say "it's the same as any other religion" name just one major religion that wasn't founded on the belief in a higher power.

Buddhism

Buddhism

And Conficianism I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

You clearly know nothing of what goes on in Scientology so.

• Advertisement
Advertisement