Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's begun - Dublin's Scientology Center enticing toddlers & parents

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

They're going further than that- they have their Irish Headquarters across the road from Leinster House- it's a full-on assault to penetrate the Irish Religious market and pedal their bullsh1te to anyone who has the money and/or vulnerability to sign-up.

They have been trying to crack the market here for a long time and been rumored to be failing with bail out money from other centers keeping them going. I wonder what has changed to usher in all this new interest and funding. Even Miscavage left Goldbase and was here to launch these new buildings. That in itself is quite the statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭conor2469

Doltanian wrote: »
    One is a weird relatively harmless Religion and the other is homophobic misogynistic terrorism masquerading as a genuine Religion and defended to the death by the hard-left politically correct marxist types, that cartoon sums it up perfectly.

You must have missed the part about Scientology forcing its members to get abortions and how its founder was extremely homophobic, regarding homosexuality as a mental illness.

The Hole in Goldbase.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hole_(Scientology)

Revolting subhuman pieces of shlt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

conor2469 wrote: »
    You must have missed the part about Scientology forcing its members to get abortions and how its founder was extremely homophobic, regarding homosexuality as a mental illness.

or the whole keeping it members captive and starving them to death. The scientologists, a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

tumblr_n0pkk73sl81qh59n0o9_r1_250.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I'm not a bit surprised this 'religion' was invented in and took off in America. A lot of gullible people there who's first thought is never to question the salesman about his snake oil. How they think it will get traction here I don't know.

Agricola wrote: »
    I'm not a bit surprised this 'religion' was invented in and took off in America. A lot of gullible people there who's first thought is never to question the salesman about his snake oil. How they think it will get traction here I don't know.

Well I suppose it could all start with people bringing their children to the Christmas fun fair at the Church of Scientology and “Community Centre” in Firhouse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

The modus operandi of this cult is to ensnare you under the guise of helping you with your personal problems. Any cult worth it's salt uses a powerful psychological manipulation. You go in to one of their audit sessions ostensibly to talk about your problems, you are encouraged to be truthful and to be as open as possible.

While you think you are getting things off your chest to a trustworthy listener who can possibly help what is actually happening is that they are recording and noting everything you say and the more personal the information you give the more powerful the subsequent manipulation becomes. They effectively want you to tell them something they can use to blackmail you with should you join them and with which they can use to prevent you from leaving should you subsequently wish to. The old cliche in Hollywood for example being that the macho men like Cruise and Travolta are actually gay and they only stay invlolved with these vipers because they've been threatened with 'exposure' to that end which would realistically ruin their careers, which were built on a false image of being straight, action heros.

It works something like this. You are 16 and you happened to get caught shoplifting when you were 12. You were young and stupid. You go along to one of their sessions. During an audit session, you're asked about your past. You mention the shop lifting charge in passing without thinking about it again. You like it and continue going and reach the point where it becomes a social thing for you. You don't care for the weirdness of it, you've made friends there. You've signed up, you're a 'Scientlogist' but not really bothered, it's something to do. Over the next few years, you want to get out. You've had enough, you've matured and think it's all a load of bolloxology. To this cult you are now a threat. To protect themselves, you are threatened with exposure as a criminal, with blackmail about destroying your reputation, you are told face to face your career prospects will be destroyed when it becomes known you're a thief, a liar, a robber, an untrustworthy person. They say they will stalk you and approach any company you apply for and provide statements to that end. You are shocked, scared. The manipulation which happened years earlier is now used to keep you in check. You leave and there might be consequences in doing so, all because you placed a little faith in a group of very dangerous individuals whose only real goal and intentions were to strip you down for any scrape of cash they could get from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

tumblr_n0pkk73sl81qh59n0o9_r1_250.gif

Posted that yesterday and it was deleted. Maybe the mod is one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Posted that yesterday and it was deleted. Maybe the mod is one of them.
    Nope, it hasn't been edit or deleted by anyone. You just used a bandy link :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I've read a lot about Scientology and Hubbard.. Depressing stuff.

The only good thing to ever come out of Scientology is the comical whitewashing of his life story.

http://www.lronhubbard.org

I really recommend watching it, especially if you already know how pathetic he really was.

Haven't clicked the link, but if I'm correct didn't he spend the last few months of his life living almost exclusively on a diet of pills, surrounded by more or less nothing but young boys on their 'Sea Org' ship (that kids are asked to a sign a billion year commitment/contract to)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

or the whole keeping it members captive and starving them to death. The scientologists, a great bunch of lads.

Or how David Miscavages mother in law shot herself with a long range rifle, 3 times, and was claimed to be a suicide. Or his wife who hasn't been seen since '07.

Or the hotel they own that has an extraordinary amount of 911 calls, but the police get refused access. In which a man died, drowning in scalding water. Or where a woman was taken after a car accident, after signing out of an actual hospital, and after 17 days, was taken to a scientologist hospital, and pronounced DOA.

You know how there's a rule on Boards, attack the post, not the poster? Well, L Ron Hubbard's philosophy was Attack the Attacker. Any one deemed an SP, (suppressive person, or enemy of the church)
    (1) Spot who is attacking us.
    (2) Start investigating them promptly for felonies or worse using own professionals, not outside agencies.
    (3) Double curve our reply by saying we welcome an investigation of them.
    (4) Start feeding lurid, blood, sex, crime actual evidence on the attackers to the press.
    Don't ever tamely submit to an investigation of us. Make it rough, rough on attackers all the way. You can get "reasonable about it" and lose. Sure we break no laws. Sure we have nothing to hide. BUT attackers are simply an anti-Scientology propaganda agency so far as we are concerned. They have proven they want no facts and will only lie no matter what they discover. So BANISH all ideas that any fair hearing is intended and start our attack with their first breath. Never wait. Never talk about us—only them. Use their blood, sex, crime to get headlines. Don't use us. I speak from 15 years of experience in this. There has never yet been an attacker who was not reeking with crime. All we had to do was look for it and murder would come out.
    — Attacks on Scientology, "Hubbard Communications Office Policy Letter", 25 February 1966

If people are foolish enough to fall for the CoS ****e, let them at it. It's not as though it's a secret that they control people and take their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

valoren wrote: »
    The modus operandi of this cult is to ensnare you under the guise of helping you with your personal problems. Any cult worth it's salt uses a powerful psychological manipulation. You go in to one of their audit sessions ostensibly to talk about your problems, you are encouraged to be truthful and to be as open as possible.

While you think you are getting things off your chest to a trustworthy listener who can possibly help what is actually happening is that they are recording and noting everything you say and the more personal the information you give the more powerful the subsequent manipulation becomes. They effectively want you to tell them something they can use to blackmail you with should you join them and with which they can use to prevent you from leaving should you subsequently wish to. The old cliche in Hollywood for example being that the macho men like Cruise and Travolta are actually gay and they only stay invlolved with these vipers because they've been threatened with 'exposure' to that end which would realistically ruin their careers, which were built on a false image of being straight, action heros.
    It might have 20 years ago, but not at this point - Cruise is 55 and Travolta 63, though if they are indeed gay it could well have had an impact as Cruise has been with them since 1990 and Travolta as early as 1975 as per their Wikipedia pages. Then again their ages/when they grew up might just make them a bit more reluctant to have it revealed either way.

Another aspect there is that Scientology has done a very impressive job infiltrating media and Hollywood in particular, so in that sense it could well be damaging to their careers for what would surely be a very messy divorce, were they to even want to leave in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Nope, it hasn't been edit or deleted by anyone. You just used a bandy link :)

'They' bandied it. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I see the Scientology house band (the Jive Aces) are to play in Whelans in April, playing innocuous swing/rock n roll music.

Was at one of their gigs years ago. I was unaware they were supporters until they began handing out postcards with very small writing down on the back along the lines of...'for further info on Scientology....'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'd like to see the people that say "it's the same as any other religion" name just one major religion that wasn't founded on the belief in a higher power.

Scientology isn't a major religion either but it uses the same bulls**t techniques as all religions:

Get them young while their minds are a blank canvas and they are open to believing any rubbish fed to them.

Prey on the vulnerable with the promise of a better life, if you just believe in their message...

Sound mightily like all religions, major and minor, to me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Over christmas, they had a funfair "for the community", I went in with the family and the kids met santa. The official photographer wanted to take my daughters photo and we refused.

Got a few mince pies and stuff, bought a coffee, and then left. We were not approached by anyone so think they are starting off softly softly.

I literally choked on my coffee though, they had christmas music playing. Chris DeBurgh's A spaceman came travelling came on, Holy crap, isn't that their destiny? A spaceship is coming to collect them. The wife thought I was having a funny turn.

Fecking loopers.

Come to think of it, they were up at fairyhouse market before christmas, all dressed in yellow, giving free massages, it was only when you read the blurb on the walls of the stall, you see "Our founder Ron L Hubbard".......

This is the problem. They edge their way into society offering different ways to help the community. Who's going to object to free massages, a funfair, anti drug programs. In a few years when they have louder voices, more members here, legal team suing everyone, lobbyists and you know someone that joined and they become a "normal" feature of society it'll be too late. Cults need to be gotten rid of straight away, unbelievable that people are actually defending them on here or think they aren't that bad

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Scientology isn't a major religion either but it uses the same bulls**t techniques as all religions:

Get them young while their minds are a blank canvas and they are open to believing any rubbish fed to them.

Prey on the vulnerable with the promise of a better life, if you just believe in their message...

Sound mightily like all religions, major and minor, to me!!

It isn't any kind of religion. its a get rich quick scam that got out of hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

What's their view on pubs opening on Good Friday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Cienciano wrote: »
    Cults need to be gotten rid of straight away, unbelievable that people are actually defending them on here or think they aren't that bad

I'm not a defender of Scientology or any other religion. To be perfectly honest, I think all religion is a pile of crap.

That said, they have every bit as much a right to practice in Ireland as any other religion, whether recognised by the State or not.

While not exactly the wording contained in the constitution, it pretty much says what I've said below.

Religious liberty

Your are free to practise your religion and your freedom of conscience. The State guarantees not to endow or favour any religion and not to discriminate on the grounds of religion.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm not a defender of Scientology or any other religion. To be perfectly honest, I think all religion is a pile of crap.

That said, they have every bit as much a right to practice in Ireland as any other religion, whether recognised by the State or not.

While not exactly the wording contained in the constitution, it pretty much says what I've said below.

It's a cult that imprisons, tortures and even kills its own members. They aren't allowed to leave their ranch in America and are forced to work 16-hour days.

I think a special exception should be made and an outright ban should be implemented. It's an awful and dangerous thing to get sucked into.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Cienciano wrote: »
    unbelievable that people are actually defending them on here or think they aren't that bad

Haven't seen too many people defend them. The most 'supportive' statement I have seen is that they are no better or worse than other 'religions'.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Haven't seen too many people defend them. The most 'supportive' statement I have seen is that they are no better or worse than other 'religions'.

what other religions imprison their members if they are considered to be performing poorly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Doltanian wrote: »
    These lads give women their human rights and don't actively encourage killing Gays, Christians or Jews. There is bigger threats than a few Scientologists. This is called Religious Tolerance. However we should NOT be tolerating the elephant in the room who is guilty of preaching and legitimizing the aforementioned.

Well said!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

what other religions imprison their members if they are considered to be performing poorly?

Hmm .. I know one that KILLS ex members for leaving - seems a bit extreme doesn't it ??

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Hmm .. I know one that KILLS ex members for leaving - seems a bit extreme doesn't it ??

what religion is it that actively pursues ex-members as a matter of course?

what religion is it that actively pursues ex-members as a matter of course?

Islam. It's called apostasy. But I'm guessing you knew that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Got "tested" at their centre as a student in Abbey st many moons ago. I knew even back then what they were about. I had time on my hands and was curious to know how they went about things. So yep, same thing, brought me upstairs and asked me to do their written "test". I put a false name and address at the start and completed the test - the wording of the test BTW is worded in such a way that no matter what way you answer it, they'll find fault with how you've responded- it's a bullsh1t test designed to rope you in to their money making racket.

They started recommending some "courses" to me and I told them I had no money- I was a poor student. :p
    They lost interest in me and I walked out- they mustn't have covered objection handling in their sales course. :D

Lucky escape

🤪

It's a cult that imprisons, tortures and even kills its own members. They aren't allowed to leave their ranch in America and are forced to work 16-hour days.

Are they doing that here? Alert the authorities if you have evidence.
    I think a special exception should be made and an outright ban should be implemented. It's an awful and dangerous thing to get sucked into.

Here's the thing, you can't make a special exception. It's illegal to do so. Our Constitution ensures that people are free to worship their chosen religion without persecution. People are free to sign up to whatever (gobsh1te) religion they want to.

Until they fcuk up on a massive scale, then unfortunately there's sod all you can do.

Islam. It's called apostasy. But I'm guessing you knew that.

I'm well aware of what apostasy is. That doesnt answer my question. If i keep asking questions will be be accused of being an SP?

• Advertisement

nobody said they are doing it here. but they do do it. Is that not enough?
    Here's the thing, you can't make a special exception. It's illegal to do so. Our Constitution ensures that people are free to worship their chosen religion without persecution. People are free to sign up to whatever (gob****e) religion they want to.

Until they fcuk up on a massive scale, then unfortunately there's sod all you can do.

scientology is not a religion.

Here's the thing, you can't make a special exception. It's illegal to do so. Our Constitution ensures that people are free to worship their chosen religion without persecution. People are free to sign up to whatever (gob****e) religion they want to.

But there's been plenty of things that have happened in other countries that would serve as a warning to us here.

They've broken an incredible array of laws around the world as an organisation so I'm kind of surprised they couldn't be stopped here before they get started properly.

nobody said they are doing it here. but they do do it. Is that not enough?

scientology is not a religion.

See the definition of a religion below. Like I said, I'm not in favour of religion as I don't believe in any of that crap but I'm not in favour of denying peoples right to worship whatever God/Space Reptile they want to worship.

religion
    rɪˈlɪdʒ(ə)n/
    noun
    noun: religion
    1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
      "ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
      synonyms:faith, belief, divinity, worship, creed, teaching, doctrine, theology; Moresect, cult, religious group, faith community, church, denomination, body, following, persuasion, affiliation
      "the right to freedom of religion"
      • a particular system of faith and worship.
        plural noun: religions
        "the world's great religions"
      • a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

I haven't seen my local priest videoing me or following me around because I gave up going to mass.

It can claim to be a religion all it likes, but it's a cult. And one of the most dangerous ones at that.

I haven't seen my local priest videoing me or following me around because I gave up going to mass.

My local priest videoed me when I was younger. Charges are pending. :D

It can claim to be a religion all it likes, but it's a cult. And one of the most dangerous ones at that.

Don't all religions start as a cult, and only move from a cult to being an acknowledged religion once they have enough members?

See the definition of a religion below. Like I said, I'm not in favour of religion as I don't believe in any of that crap but I'm not in favour of denying peoples right to worship whatever God/Space Reptile they want to worship.

religion
    rɪˈlɪdʒ(ə)n/
    noun
    noun: religion
    1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
      "ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
      synonyms:faith, belief, divinity, worship, creed, teaching, doctrine, theology; Moresect, cult, religious group, faith community, church, denomination, body, following, persuasion, affiliation
      "the right to freedom of religion"
      • a particular system of faith and worship.
        plural noun: religions
        "the world's great religions"
      • a pursuit or interest followed with great devotion.

they can believe what they like. But they're not a religion in ireland. If they were they would have tax-free charitable status.

Don't all religions start as a cult, and only move from a cult to being an acknowledged religion once they have enough members?

Not sure. It's been quite a long time since a "real" religion has started up.

Have you read much about them? The top guy's wife hasn't been seen in a decade.

• Advertisement

Its not even a cult. its a money making scam that is quite happy to use violence and intimidation.

they can believe what they like. But they're not a religion in ireland. If they were they would have tax-free charitable status.

I can't speak for them on anything, much less their tax affairs. But being registered or not as a charity doesn't mean that you aren't a religion. It might mean that they are tax inefficient, but they must have their reasons.
    Not sure. It's been quite a long time since a "real" religion has started up.

Have you read much about them? The top guy's wife hasn't been seen in a decade.

Hey, I'm not denying that anything you are saying isn't true. They do seem to have some very dodgy practices. That said, we can't tar everybody with the same brush. If that was the case, the Catholic church would be long gone.

I can't speak for them on anything, much less their tax affairs. But being registered or not as a charity doesn't mean that you aren't a religion. It might mean that they are tax inefficient, but they must have their reasons.

Hey, I'm not denying that anything you are saying isn't true. They do seem to have some very dodgy practices. That said, we can't tar everybody with the same brush. If that was the case, the Catholic church would be long gone.

WTF? these dodgy practices (which include imprisonment and starving people to death so a little bit more than dodgy) are authorised from the top of the organisation. they are not rogue elements.

WTF? these dodgy practices (which include imprisonment and starving people to death so a little bit more than dodgy) are authorised from the top of the organisation. they are not rogue elements.

Fair enough. Prosecute them to the full extent of the law if they act the bollix here.

We aren't allowed to ban Islam because of the actions of some of their religion in different countries, why should Scientology be any different.

Fair enough. Prosecute them to the full extent of the law if they act the bollix here.

We aren't allowed to ban Islam because of the actions of some of their religion in different countries, why should Scientology be any different.

I've never asked for them to be banned. Just not given any official recognition including the tax free status they crave. Its all about the money for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The Amish have a nasty dark side as do the Mormons.
    Islam has state sponsored punishments for apostates (and the gays) in some regions. Hates women in many places.
    Christianity has calmed down a bit as of late but the more extreme elements would not be beyond a bit of torture and imprisonment or woman hating.

• Advertisement

I've never asked for them to be banned. Just not given any official recognition including the tax free status they crave. Its all about the money for them.

Have they applied for a tax free status?

Well it's not like many of us going to turn to Mormonism or Islam. Some do, but most would never.. But they could get sucked into Scientology.

I don't want a nanny state but I also don't want them here either. Basically, any cult you might have to actively escape shouldn't be allowed.

Have they applied for a tax free status?

If they haven't, they will. The current leader's greatest achievements include getting it in America.

It's like they don't even pretend to not be driven by money.

If they haven't, they will. The current leader's greatest achievements include getting it in America.

I'm not saying they are not a bunch of crooks, but I'm a big believer in freedom.

If someone wants to worship a traffic light or a big space reptile, let them on I say. And just because some/lots/most people don't like them, that doesn't mean that they should be banned. There have to be provable actions here to warrant them being banned here.

I just read that Trump is questioning their tax status in America.

• Advertisement
Advertisement