Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant and a baby

Options
  • 28-01-2018 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭

Is there some regulation that if a tenant has a baby during the terms of the lease contract you cant evict or terminate a lease?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

billyhead wrote: »
    Is there some regulation that if a tenant has a baby during the terms of the lease contract you cant evict or terminate a lease?

Oh God.
    I very much doubt it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nope. You can be evicted under the normal rules and regulations and notice periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Good God no, what kind of heartless ba5tard would even consider it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I've seen some people argue on this very forum that, as the baby is not named or a party to the lease, having the baby live there constitutes a breach of the lease...

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Actualy I heard some stories where the LL told the tennants to move cos place wasnt suitable for 1 extra person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Mike3549 wrote: »
    Actualy I heard some stories where the LL told the tennants to move cos place wasnt suitable for 1 extra person.
    Which may be true, depending on the regulations.
    I've seen some people argue on this very forum that, as the baby is not named or a party to the lease, having the baby live there constitutes a breach of the lease...
    Which may be true, depending on the lease.

And before my neck is well and truly jumped down, I do agree than summarily evicting a tenant because a baby arrived would be a pretty heartless thing to do,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,861 ✭✭✭billyhead

But if the lease is up or there not paying the rent then whats the issue?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It would be a tricky one to try and defend and you would want to be a horrible bastard to even think about doing it*.

*imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

That's a completely different question than originally. Think you need to start a new thread you will get nowhere on this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Leases don’t realky make a difference, after 6 months the tenant can stay for 6 years regardless of what the lease says

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

A friend of mine had three babies in three years. Two bedroom apartment. Was asked to leave on grounds that was rented to a single girl (as she was at the time of lease). In rent pressure zone and no increase in 5 years so was dirt cheap. Eventually they agreed between them to increase rent 'off the books'. Tbf my friend had babies settled and didn't want to move and knew she had it cheap. I know a two bedroom apartment seems small for 5 people but it has mezzanines etc. Bigger square footage than my house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

If they are not paying rent. you can start the normal process no matter the tenants circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

amtc wrote: »
    A friend of mine had three babies in three years. Two bedroom apartment. Was asked to leave on grounds that was rented to a single girl (as she was at the time of lease). In rent pressure zone and no increase in 5 years so was dirt cheap. Eventually they agreed between them to increase rent 'off the books'. Tbf my friend had babies settled and didn't want to move and knew she had it cheap. I know a two bedroom apartment seems small for 5 people but it has mezzanines etc. Bigger square footage than my house

5 People? So she move in her partner too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

ted1 wrote: »
    Good God no, what kind of heartless ba5tard would even consider it

That 'heartless ba5tard' would be my ex-landlords. They even had a baby the same month as we did. There were 'congratulations' going back and forth and all was well.

Flash forward a couple of years and (after trying to increase the rent a second time in three months) they then switched to claiming our toddler was not named on the original lease, they 'didn't know' who this extra tenant was, and we were thrown out. Never mind that the child wasn't born when the lease was signed, or the fact it had lapsed into Part IV, or the fact this only became a problem when they couldn't squeeze extra money out of us as soon as they would have liked due to legal restrictions.

Vampires.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Are you asking "can you evict someone for having a baby", or the very different question: "does someone having a baby prevent you from evicting them for other reasons"?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The definition of "overcrowding" should be laid down in statute.

It should be based on several factors such as maximum number of occupants per bathroom, minimum number of square metres per occupant etc.

The SAME definition should be referred to by a landlord when seeking eviction or by local authorities when they house tenants at taxpayers' expense. What's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

To be honest a 1 bed apartment is perfectly capable of being used to raise a child. A tenant should never be thrown out for having a child in a 1 bed flat but likewise, those with one child seeking social housing should be assigned a one bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

murphaph wrote: »
    The definition of "overcrowding" should be laid down in statute.

It should be based on several factors such as maximum number of occupants per bathroom, minimum number of square metres per occupant etc.

The SAME definition should be referred to by a landlord when seeking eviction or by local authorities when they house tenants at taxpayers' expense. What's good for the goose should be good for the gander.

To be honest a 1 bed apartment is perfectly capable of being used to raise a child. A tenant should never be thrown out for having a child in a 1 bed flat but likewise, those with one child seeking social housing should be assigned a one bed.

There is a definition of overcrowding in a statute. It is in the Housing Act 1966. It does not mention bathrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

There is a definition of overcrowding in a statute. It is in the Housing Act 1966. It does not mention bathrooms.
    But it's not used by local authorities when determining how much space a family needs when allocating housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

But it's not used by local authorities when determining how much space a family needs when allocating housing.

Pretty sure it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

How do you know?

• Advertisement
Advertisement