Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublins declining nightlife?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Used to love District 8 but have only gone a couple of times in the past 12 months... crowd it attracts these days is mainly under 20! :rolleyes:

A mate of mine got me a ticket for a gig in District 8 but I'm having second thoughts on going now. I'm worried that I'll be the oldest person there!

Is it really that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

VonLuck wrote: »
    A mate of mine got me a ticket for a gig in District 8 but I'm having second thoughts on going now. I'm worried that I'll be the oldest person there!

Is it really that bad?

Getting increasingly difficult to find a decent bar/club that is not rampant with prepubescent kids these days where you're thinking I'm old enough to be their father ughhh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭ballyargus

People can't afford it. A trip to the cinema and a handful of drinks afterwards cost north of 120 euros. Had a bite to eat too (only fecking Burger King come to that). That's is done for the month. A proper sit in a pub or club would cost serious dough

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ballyargus wrote: »
    People can't afford it. A trip to the cinema and a handful of drinks afterwards cost north of 120 euros. Had a bite to eat too (only fecking Burger King come to that). That's is done for the month. A proper sit in a pub or club would cost serious dough

120 bills would get you around 15-20 pints in a pub. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

coppers getting a mention as always lol, why i dont know. No normal Dublin person would be caught dead in that place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Bambi wrote: »
    120 bills would get you around 15-20 pints in a pub. :confused:

Two tickets with popcorn and a drink is the bones of 40 euro. 10 euro for the burger king and you're down to 70. 20 of that at least on a taxi now you have 50 and thats before 1 drink. Adds up quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Rory28 wrote: »
    Two tickets with popcorn and a drink is the bones of 40 euro. 10 euro for the burger king and you're down to 70. 20 of that at least on a taxi now you have 50 and thats before 1 drink. Adds up quick.

In fairness, the original poster just said €120, nothing about €120 for two people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

In fairness, the original poster just said €120, nothing about €120 for two people.

True. I made that assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

People are sick of getting ripped off.

I can't be bothered paying 7 Euro for a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

I never thought Dublin or any Irish city had much of club scene compared to some continental and UK cities. Restrictions on opening hours and a very, very messy heavy drinking culture don’t help.

There are a few historically legendary places but in general I don’t rate Ireland for those kinds of nights out. It’s more of a bar scene and live music type of place.

If I wanted proper club night out, there’s an airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

VonLuck wrote: »

Is it really that bad?

I only forced myself 3 times in 2017 to head to D8 (Alan Fitzpatrick, Kolsch & Denis Sulta). Between me and my mates (or in one case with my gf) we're 24-27 and we were definitely some of the oldest - seen a few older people but not many.

Will be forcing myself to Mark Knight/Toolroom there - and that may be my only 2018 gig there (potentially Joris Voorn too). D8 are snapping up all of the good DJs which is a real pity - the few times I've seen Mark Knight and Joris in Dublin they have always played in Button Factory and previous to that The Village.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

I only forced myself 3 times in 2017 to head to D8 (Alan Fitzpatrick, Kolsch & Denis Sulta). Between me and my mates (or in one case with my gf) we're 24-27 and we were definitely some of the oldest - seen a few older people but not many.

Will be forcing myself to Mark Knight/Toolroom there - and that may be my only 2018 gig there (potentially Joris Voorn too). D8 are snapping up all of the good DJs which is a real pity - the few times I've seen Mark Knight and Joris in Dublin they have always played in Button Factory and previous to that The Village.

Didnt know Mark Knight was coming over again what date is that on mate?

Also therin lies the problem i think, i hadnt heard of this gig happening and im on social media, The Star was the usual gig guide for me back in the day but even that fails to advertise a lot of the gigs that do be on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

thebull85 wrote: »
    Didnt know Mark Knight was coming over again what date is that on mate?

Also therin lies the problem i think, i hadnt heard of this gig happening and im on social media, The Star was the usual gig guide for me back in the day but even that fails to advertise a lot of the gigs that do be on now.

28th April. Last time I seen him in Button Factory in 2016 it wasn't too busy - hopefully the same in D8 as they oversell that place horribly!

Key it liking the event crowds on Facebook who run the nights in D8 and that. Subject, Abstract, Research, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I was at Kolsch last year and the crowd wasn't too bad. I'm going to Gorgon City which I'm expecting to have a younger crowd seeing as a few of their songs are on the radio.

District 8 tend to get a lot of good artists and I probably would go more often if I wasn't so put off by the age profile.

Advertisement