Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of Contract - Options?

Options
  • 28-01-2018 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm just wondering about a situation I'll be facing this year.
    I work in the public service. I have a permanent position there at a low grade but for the last six and bit years, I've been working at a much higher grade on a contract basis. It's a nice job that I like a lot and, to be perfectly frank, probably pays more than it should but happy days for me. I initially got a five year contract. When that was ending, my boss told me his boss wanted to end my position and get someone in permanently on lower money to do the job. My boss fought for me and I got a two year extension but he said that would be it. Well, that extension is ending at the end of the summer and it would mean me going back to my permanent but far more lowly paid position.

My instinct would be not to fight this. If someone doesn't want me I wouldn't normally hang around but my circumstances are such now that I really depend on my salary as it's the sole income in my family. I've looked at other jobs but I'll have difficulty matching my salary. My problem is that I'm unsure if I have anything with which to fight the end of my contract. On the one hand, the contract is up so that would appear to be that. On the other hand, are they able to just get rid of me and get someone else in on much lower money to do the same job? I'm not a member of the union but perhaps I should join...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

If you are on a Fixed Term Contract (FTC) and the position is being considerably altered then I think its a done deal - but they can't (theoretically) just replace your position with someone on a lower grade (I think your Union would have / should have objections to this)

In the bigger picture, I'd be more inclined to take the experience you have and apply to some of the other PS jobs going or take a transfer / EOI to another dept.

Rocking the boat you could be on a hiding to nothing in reality - you may get to keep the position but you risk a black mark of sorts when going for further promotion. Its not right but its a reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Talk to your union rep , as the EU fixed term worker directive may apply here - essentially that you cannot keep people on short term contracts forever, and after 4 years they have to be made permanent. I am not sure how this translates to your exact circs, hence the advice to check it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Thanks yeah, I guess I better join the union so. Didn't fancy spending the money on the union tbh but I'm sure they'll help.

Advertisement