Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i just change jobs

Options
  • 28-01-2018 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So went anonymous on this just in case

Im a PQ accountant currently in industry. However I'm finding that my role is not really giving me great experience and to an extent underpaid. The underpaid bit wouldn't bother me if i really felt i was developing as an accountant, but my job title doesn't really reflect the possibility of any growth as such.

Im currently sending daily sales reports and doing for the most part stuff since i started. While i have been given more responsibilities such as bank rec, remittances etc. Basically in my annual review, i said i hope to be promoted up, but my manager basically said in a nicer way, that can't happen as we need someone to do the duly sales reports and manager the car fleet. Feel like my niceness is getting in the way of my career progression.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You have basically been told that you wont be getting a promotion because they need you where you are.

So yes, you should start looking for a new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

You have basically been told that you wont be getting a promotion because they need you where you are.

So yes, you should start looking for a new job.

Ditto

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Yes time to move. Do it ASAP. As it will give you a full year in a new company which can be important for promotions and bonuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

as somebody studying to be an accountant, you should already understand the experience requirements for the qualification.

Look and see what they are vs your current role. If you don't feel you are getting sufficient experience to finalise the qualification, then start off by talking with your manager. If they cant help, or you feel you are getting the run around then its time to start talking to other companies.

BUT -and this is key- do not leave on bad terms with them. You will need them to sign off on the experience you gained to date. You leave on bad terms and you'll find they wont be forth coming with that signoff.

And as for the money aspect, while thats the reason we all go to work, as you are effectively training at the moment, its more important for you to get the right experience than an extra 1K. Longer term the experience counts and gets the bigger payrises/promotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

If anyone is ever unhappy with a job it is always best to find something else.
    Sure life can get in the way with paying rent or the mortage... even providing for kids but life is about growth and not standing still.

So if you are at the end of the road with the job then best to look for something else. Don't worry about the if's and but's or will the grass be greener on the other side? because we do not know what will happen. In 3 years your current job could be go for anyone knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Unfortunately I've discovered that if you are excellent at a job, it can actually hinder your promotional prospects. It's happened to me more than once and I've seen it happen to others around me.

The way I broke the rut was to get another job.

Sounds like you need to do the same.

Advertisement