Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheating in life?

• 28-01-2018 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Read through the thread on the woman who was scamming the social welfare system, got me thinking about the various cheats I know/have come across.

Just a couple off the top of my head...

know one girl who literally pretended she had such and such a degree. Got her a fairly nice job and springboarded her into her current life.

Another few people I know just pretended they had years of experience (job required 10 years senior experience, they had NONE!) All worked out grand.

Know plenty of people of cheated in exams etc. And this is from a wide circle of people from all parts of the world, independent of each other. So its not just that I know a load of chancers!

The worst thing is that after spoofing it brazenly, they continue a little while longer, and hey presto, now they ACTUALLY have the experience and keep trotting along.

Seriously demotivating. You break your balls and pay hefty fees and live like a schmuck to get a degree, or spend years grinding in crappy jobs.......another person spends 1 minute typing it on a c.v.

Why bother doing anything ffs :P

Any interesting examples from others?

Have you know brazen cheats in life? 76 votes

not counting little exagerrations...yes, I know some whopping liars doing grand for themselves
    0% 0 votes
    I know some whopping liars that got caught out on their lies and got their comeuppance
    100% 76 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I know plenty of people like this... 'he / she who dares, wins'

as the old saying goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭pemay

I know plenty of people like this... 'he / she who dares, wins'

as the old saying goes

As time goes on I'm finding more and more examples of this. The kind of things I wouldn't have believed beforehand!

I'd say if you had a crystal ball you'd be shocked at the sheer number of complete chancers that don't deserve half of what they have in life.

As I said in the OP, the skin off my nose is that it is so demotivating to do anything yourself.

Seriously thinking about completely shooting for the moon next time I'm looking for a job. You don't exactly have much to lose, it appears!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

pemay wrote: »

Know plenty of people of cheated in exams etc.

Any interesting examples from others?

I don't know anyone who cheated in exams. I would have thought it was the sort of thing they would keep to themselves. How many do you know and how did you find out about them? And what is the etc?

endacl wrote: »
    Well worth a watch.

Amazing.

Just think if only say, 3 of them had gotten a hold of the exam beforehand and had kept it quiet.

Fool proof!

• Advertisement

I don't know anyone who cheated in exams. I would have thought it was the sort of thing they would keep to themselves. How many do you know and how did you find out about them? And what is the etc?

Its usually the kind of thing you hear way, way after the fact.

AN example of that would be a test I did in college. Very difficult one too, good few people failed. Met a bloke a few years later and the subject came up, turned out he had gotten his hands on the test the day before. Aced the thing.

And when I think of that kind of thing, but on a much larger scale of life...it makes your mind boggle. Like your millionaire father telling you on his deathbed "son, I cheated my way into my wealth!"

All after the fact.

Other cases, like jobs, was seeing the train-wreck in motion. Seeing social media and linked-in profiles where degrees suddenly materialise out of nowhere, 5 years experience becomes 10 etc. Then they conveniently disappear after landing the position. Few years later the profiles appear again, now nicely buffed up (and backed up too)!

And lots more besides!

As time goes on I'm finding more and more examples of this. The kind of things I wouldn't have believed beforehand!

I'd say if you had a crystal ball you'd be shocked at the sheer number of complete chancers that don't deserve half of what they have in life.

As I said in the OP, the skin off my nose is that it is so demotivating to do anything yourself.

Seriously thinking about completely shooting for the moon next time I'm looking for a job. You don't exactly have much to lose, it appears!

Its all about confidence... did you see that film 'Catch me if you Can' with Leonardo Di Caprio when he pretended to be an airline pilot and traveled the world, it was based on a true story.

You have to engage with people in a certain way, so as to instill in them a sense of confidence in your abilities.

I know people who made their way up the ladder in IT doing this. There was a guy (who I didn't know personally) that landed a programming contract with a company about 15 years ago, and it paid around 70k. As soon as he was in the door, he farmed the work out online, to a programmer in Asia and payed him around 15k to do the work. He got away with it for a long time but was eventually found out. 55k per anum for sitting in an office playing solitaire and drinking coffee!

Its all about confidence... did you see that film 'Catch me if you Can' with Leonardo Di Caprio when he pretended to be an airline pilot and traveled the world, it was based on a true story.

You have to engage with people in a certain way, so as to instill in them a sense of confidence in your abilities.

I know people who made their way up the ladder in IT doing this. There was a guy (who I didn't know personally) that landed a programming contract with a company about 15 years ago, and it paid around 70k. As soon as he was in the door, he farmed the work out online, to a programmer in Asia and payed him around 15k to do the work. He got away with it for a long time but was eventually found out. 55k per anum for sitting in an office playing solitaire and drinking coffee!

Cheeky so and so!

Heres another from me. Girl who was a total layabout, "doing" a phd for 7 years (read: watching dvds and drinking). Got a part time job (something like 2 hours a week) teaching a class for the last year, simply because the stipend had run out ages back.

That 2 hour per week job for 1 year miraculously turned into a 7 year fulltime job, with the phd being the part-time bit.

Was the only reason she got the high paying gig she has had now for at least 5 years.

Such bull**** :)

Cheeky so and so!

Heres another from me. Girl who was a total layabout, "doing" a phd for 7 years (read: watching dvds and drinking). Got a part time job (something like 2 hours a week) teaching a class for the last year, simply because the stipend had run out ages back.

That 2 hour per week job for 1 year miraculously turned into a 7 year fulltime job, with the phd being the part-time bit.

Was the only reason she got the high paying gig she has had now for at least 5 years.

Yes, it looks good for an institution to have someone on the staff who is currently working on their phd, whether they finish it or not is another story, but it gets the foot in the door to a higher level job in education. She knew what she was doing!

What about Mike Oldfield, of Tubular Bells fame. He once took a Bach prelude and played it backwards on the piano. It became the theme tune to the film 'The Exorcist' and Tubular Bells went on to sell 20 million copies. He admitted to this one night on Jules Holland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I used to know a bloke in school who claimed he was the same as all of us (dirt poor), living on a council estate and getting up to all sorts of mischief etc, then when his birthday party came around he was claiming he was having it in aunts house or something, turned out to be living in a different town, living in a literal mansion with 6 or 7 cars in the drive, family crazy rich from inheritance or whatever the **** it was, dad collected vintage bentleys. No idea why he felt the need to lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Its usually the kind of thing you hear way, way after the fact.

AN example of that would be a test I did in college. Very difficult one too, good few people failed. Met a bloke a few years later and the subject came up, turned out he had gotten his hands on the test the day before. Aced the thing.

And when I think of that kind of thing, but on a much larger scale of life...it makes your mind boggle. Like your millionaire father telling you on his deathbed "son, I cheated my way into my wealth!"

All after the fact.

Other cases, like jobs, was seeing the train-wreck in motion. Seeing social media and linked-in profiles where degrees suddenly materialise out of nowhere, 5 years experience becomes 10 etc. Then they conveniently disappear after landing the position. Few years later the profiles appear again, now nicely buffed up (and backed up too)!

And lots more besides!

It's just as well we are not counting exaggerations. You know one person who cheated at an exam and that turned into plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Cheeky so and so!

Waw

Yes, it looks good for an institution to have someone on the staff who is currently working on their phd, whether they finish it or not is another story, but it gets the foot in the door to a higher level job in education. She knew what she was doing!

What about Mike Oldfield, of Tubular Bells fame. He once took a Bach prelude and played it backwards on the piano. It became the theme tune to the film 'The Exorcist' and Tubular Bells went on to sell 20 million copies. He admitted to this one night on Jules Holland

Its funny and depressing hearing things like this!

Like your woman and the phd, at first it doesn't sound so bad. But when you really think about it.......7 whole years!

That's 7 years that some other person had to work hard for, whereas for her it was just a doodle on a page. Ditto for another 2 people I know that just pretended they had certain degrees.

These are significant chunks of life that either keep you held back, or zoom you forward. Madness! Life-changing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Carpentry .... sure all you need is a saw and a pencil
    Plumbing .... some plumbers tape and a spanner
    Surgery .... all you need is a scalpel and a patient
    Austranaut .... all you need is a space suit and a rocket

It's just as well we are not counting exaggerations. You know one person who cheated at an exam and that turned into plenty.

I'm not sure what your saying here, but it comes across as being snarky.

If so, why would you be snarky about this?? Apologies if I'm picking you up wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Most chancers I know are likable rogues. More power to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

endacl wrote: »
    Well worth a watch.

That lecturer is a complete bellend. He copied publicaly available exam type questions. The students got wind of his laziness, aced the exam and he is trying to cover his ass by getting students expelled.

Like your woman and the phd, at first it doesn't sound so bad. But when you really think about it.......7 whole years!

That's 7 years that some other person had to work hard for, whereas for her it was just a doodle on a page. Ditto for another 2 people I know that just pretended they had certain degrees.

These are significant chunks of life that either keep you held back, or zoom you forward. Madness! Life-changing stuff.

It might be a plan in that case, for you to get accepted onto a phd course, and you can use this as an 'in' to your next high level job application. Pick a good subject, and say that you have papers pending, and that you hope to get published soon. If your area of research ties in with the job, then you will stand a better chance of getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

OP: Life’s not fair!

Accept that and live your own life

It might be a plan in that case, for you to get accepted onto a phd course, and you can use this as an 'in' to your next high level job application. Pick a good subject, and say that you have papers pending, and that you hope to get published soon. If your area of research ties in with the job, then you will stand a better chance of getting it.

You must be joking, actually do something?! I'll just say I have another phd and save another 4 years of effort :P

• Advertisement

OP: Life’s not fair!

Accept that and live your own life

Of course it isn't fair, but its just the last couple years in particular these many examples have come up, and to be honest, just burying my head in the sand and telling myself "life isn't fair!" isn't exactly brilliant. Rather it encourages you to do something about it.

Hop on the bandwagon, so to speak.

Or maybe your comment is a disguised confession. Any examples :P

Of course it isn't fair, but its just the last couple years in particular these many examples have come up, and to be honest, just burying my head in the sand and telling myself "life isn't fair!" isn't exactly brilliant. Rather it encourages you to do something about it.

Hop on the bandwagon, so to speak.

Or maybe your comment is a disguised confession. Any examples :P

If you spend your life wondering why people got an unfair advantage- you’ll never progress yourself. No one runs the same race as you- don’t compare yourself to others. Be happy with who you are and don’t measure yourself against them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭job seeker

People might as well lie about having done a certain degree. As what you learn in college. Usually isn't even relivent to the related job/position.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

If you spend your life wondering why people got an unfair advantage- you’ll never progress yourself. No one runs the same race as you- don’t compare yourself to others. Be happy with who you are and don’t measure yourself against them

I think we're talking about two fairly different things here.

You can be born into a wealthy family, for example. That's not fair when you compare it with a person born into a poor family. That's the kind of thing you just have to absorb about life and deal with it, as you say.

Then theres what I'm talking about. Say 2 people do the exact same amount of work and exert the exact same amount of time and effort in order to progress in life. Then 1 of them makes up a lie that propels them perhaps a decade ahead of the other one.......that's not just a case of throwing your hands up in the air and saying "oh well!"

It can be quite literally life changing in terms of outcome, not only for the person in question, but for their children down the line even!

Its seriously dirty tactics, and it deserves more attention than just shooing it away like no big deal. At least deserves a discussion.

job seeker wrote: »
    People might as well lie about having done a certain degree. As what you learn in college. Usually isn't even relivent to the related job/position.

Well I know two living examples of what you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I used to know a bloke in school who claimed he was the same as all of us (dirt poor), living on a council estate and getting up to all sorts of mischief etc, then when his birthday party came around he was claiming he was having it in aunts house or something, turned out to be living in a different town, living in a literal mansion with 6 or 7 cars in the drive, family crazy rich from inheritance or whatever the **** it was, dad collected vintage bentleys. No idea why he felt the need to lie.

I think sometimes when people are well off there afraid people will only want to be friends with them because of their wealth.

I think we're talking about two fairly different things here.

You can be born into a wealthy family, for example. That's not fair when you compare it with a person born into a poor family. That's the kind of thing you just have to absorb about life and deal with it, as you say.

Then theres what I'm talking about. Say 2 people do the exact same amount of work and exert the exact same amount of time and effort in order to progress in life. Then 1 of them makes up a lie that propels them perhaps a decade ahead of the other one.......that's not just a case of throwing your hands up in the air and saying "oh well!"

It can be quite literally life changing in terms of outcome, not only for the person in question, but for their children down the line even!

Its seriously dirty tactics, and it deserves more attention than just shooing it away like no big deal. At least deserves a discussion.

It’s all unfair advantage to me

Well I know two living examples of what you say.

Yeah, I say fair play to people like that. If you're willing to chance it. You most definitely deserve the rewards that come along with it.

• Advertisement

It’s all unfair advantage to me

If you're lucky enough to be born into a rich family. I think that's just luck.

I'm interested to know why you consider someone getting a very good career out of lies, as "an unfair advantage?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Sincerity had brought me fucck-all so far, so this year I'm going all out with being a complete chancer. Fingers crossed I'll actually make some money/have a career.

Sincerity had brought me fucck-all so far, so this year I'm going all out with being a complete chancer. Fingers crossed I'll actually make some money/have a career.

Ah spill the beans Herb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Ah spill the beans Herb!

I wouldn't want to embarrass myself like.

To satiate your appetite for juicy gossip though, I've a friend who cheated the living **** out of his way through an undergrad. As in, cheated pretty much every exam, lied about his mother dying, being homeless, and a whole pile of other nonsense to buy time/sympathy/whatever the **** concessions he was given, because he sure as fucck didn't work for it.

:)

what is your line of work Herb? I might be able to plot your career !

*I might be a chancer though, the risk is yours to take

Might be looking into doing something similar! Even the tiny sample of votes in this topic is telling me that I'm the bigger fool for being honest.

Managed two people in a job before? Oh sorry, I meant 20.

Worked in that position for 3 years? Oh sorry, I meant 8.

:P

Like another poster said, confidence is a huge part of it. If you think you can do the job well, why let some numbers on a page stop you from doing it?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't want to embarrass myself like.

To satiate your appetite for juicy gossip though, I've a friend who cheated the living **** out of his way through an undergrad. As in, cheated pretty much every exam, lied about his mother dying, being homeless, and a whole pile of other nonsense to buy time/sympathy/whatever the **** concessions he was given, because he sure as fucck didn't work for it.

:)

I'm more interested in the half story you told about yourself.

However, what you say about your friend. That's pretty good. As I said previously, anyone who is willing to take them chances, well deserve the rewards that come along with it. Unless it's illegal.

Might be looking into doing something similar! Even the tiny sample of votes in this topic is telling me that I'm the bigger fool for being honest.

Managed two people in a job before? Oh sorry, I meant 20.

Worked in that position for 3 years? Oh sorry, I meant 8.

:P

Like another poster said, confidence is a huge part of it. If you think you can do the job well, why let some numbers on a page stop you from doing it?

Realistically, the only way you could be stung would be if the company, asked for a reference from that company. If you had one listed.

I'll just give you an example of what I done. But I done it arse ways.

I done an honours degree in culinary arts and graduated last may.

On the college website it states: B.A. Honours in culinary arts, provides the student with experience to achieve a head chef position. (something along those lines)

For experience, I'm only a commis chef. Lowest level. :( head chefs earn about 50-60k per year. Commis chefs earn 18-20k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I'd say a lot are not as HR depts and many employers are too lazy to bother.

Many take the words of candidates probably thinking that middle class college boys wouldn't lie but many present day college attendees are probably more mercenary and grasping then their former alumni in days long past.

Its very probable that heavily regulated sectors such as medicine, nursing and engineering where there is a binding legal obligation on employers to vet the credentials of their staff, score better in this department as they can be prosecuted if they get it wrong and a farrier ends up doing brain surgery.....

But most middle management type jobs involving meetings, mission statements and other nebulous, abstract type of "makey uppy" work where nothing leaks, no buildings collapse or vehicles crash then its open season for the waffling parasites of our increasingly toxic working world.

Realistically, the only way you could be stung would be if the company, asked for a reference from that company. If you had one listed.

I'll just give you an example of what I done. But I done it arse ways.

I done an honours degree in culinary arts and graduated last may.

On the college website it states: B.A. Honours in culinary arts, provides the student with experience to achieve a head chef position. (something along those lines)

For experience, I'm only a commis chef. Lowest level. :( head chefs earn about 50-60k per year. Commis chefs earn 18-20k

Well from having paid attention to what others have done, there are pretty much fool-proof ways for references (you don't have to lie). Simplistic in one way, ingenious in another.

Basically this thread is validation for chancing my arm.

doolox wrote: »
    I'd say a lot are not as HR depts and many employers are too lazy to bother.

Many take the words of candidates probably thinking that middle class college boys wouldn't lie but many present day college attendees are probably more mercenary and grasping then their former alumni in days long past.

Its very probable that heavily regulated sectors such as medicine, nursing and engineering where there is a binding legal obligation on employers to vet the credentials of their staff, score better in this department as they can be prosecuted if they get it wrong and a farrier ends up doing brain surgery.....

But most middle management type jobs involving meetings, mission statements and other nebulous, abstract type of "makey uppy" work where nothing leaks, no buildings collapse or vehicles crash then its open season for the waffling parasites of our increasingly toxic working world.

Youd be surprised how deep some people manage to get, and in surprising areas too, not just the traditional bullshytty ones.

you'd always assume that you need references (would be foolish to do it blind), but there are ingenious ways of not officially lying and still getting the proper reference.

• Advertisement

Well from having paid attention to what others have done, there are pretty much fool-proof ways for references (you don't have to lie). Simplistic in one way, ingenious in another.

Basically this thread is validation for chancing my arm.

I say fair play. If you go ahead with it. Personally. I'd be too afraid to. I'd always be looking over my shoulder. :D

doolox wrote: »
    then its open season for the waffling parasites of our increasingly toxic working world.

I assume you're not into this type of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seanrambo87

I cheated in my leaving cert. I didn't cheat anyone out of a position in college, I work in construction, I'm surprised more people aren't coming forward about past indiscretions. I'm a chancer, and guess what? My gambles pay off 80/20. To the op; grow a pair, you might surprise yourself and be less bitter.

I cheated in my leaving cert. I didn't cheat anyone out of a position in college, I work in construction, I'm surprised more people aren't coming forward about past indiscretions. I'm a chancer, and guess what? My gambles pay off 80/20. To the op; grow a pair, you might surprise yourself and be less bitter.

In what way are you better off? I need juicy details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Amazing.

Just think if only say, 3 of them had gotten a hold of the exam beforehand and had kept it quiet.

Fool proof!

He's bluffing

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seanrambo87

@jobseeker pm sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i handed my maths paper 1 to he guy behind me and i sat the leaving externally for someone one, id say its commomnplsace

Tigger wrote: »
    i handed my maths paper 1 to he guy behind me and i sat the leaving externally for someone one, id say its commomnplsace

What? Are you serious? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Belle Gibson was one of the most successful modern day 'cheats'. Though there's another c word for her which is probably more apt

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belle_Gibson

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Cool thread :)

Look at politics. Is there a single TD in the history of the Irish state actually truly qualified to be in that position? You get the odd few with a degree in finance or law. But for the most part they’re spoofing and they always have been. And somehow get elected.

I don’t need an elected official to be thinking about Immanuel Kant but I hope they’d be doing their best for all of it and not just reaching for the McNuggets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement