Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building in rural Kildare/Meath

Options
  • 29-01-2018 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

Hoping someone on here can help

My partner and I want to build our own house in rural Kildare/Meath but neither of us are from the areas. Rural local planning needs rules us completely out of ever getting planning permission on a rural site if we bought one. We have also looked at old houses that need demolishing to then rebuild something to our liking which is a costly route but at least we would be guaranteed planning to rebuild something.

What I would like to clarify is this ~ correct me if I'm completely wrong here but to my knowledge when you buy a site with an existing structure on it, ie domestic dwelling, you then do not need to qualify for local planning needs when applying for planning permission to knock and rebuild or to extend.
    So what is the minimum a site needs to have to avoid the local planning needs is my question?

For example if I buy a site with full planning permission but no work carried out I still need to qualify for local needs to build that house so no good. Buy if the site has full planning and say foundations poured and rising walls built could I then buy it and just finish the build therefore avoiding the planning restrictions? What's the minimum a site would need that I could just buy the project and finish off the build?

Hope I've explained this ok
    All help really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

Hi,

Hoping someone on here can help

My partner and I want to build our own house in rural Kildare/Meath but neither of us are from the areas. Rural local planning needs rules us completely out of ever getting planning permission on a rural site if we bought one. We have also looked at old houses that need demolishing to then rebuild something to our liking which is a costly route but at least we would be guaranteed planning to rebuild something.

What I would like to clarify is this ~ correct me if I'm completely wrong here but to my knowledge when you buy a site with an existing structure on it, ie domestic dwelling, you then do not need to qualify for local planning needs when applying for planning permission to knock and rebuild or to extend.
    So what is the minimum a site needs to have to avoid the local planning needs is my question?

For example if I buy a site with full planning permission but no work carried out I still need to qualify for local needs to build that house so no good. Buy if the site has full planning and say foundations poured and rising walls built could I then buy it and just finish the build therefore avoiding the planning restrictions? What's the minimum a site would need that I could just buy the project and finish off the build?

Hope I've explained this ok
    All help really appreciated

Normally the person who gets the planning permission is restricted from selling it for a period of seven years so that would prevent the scenario you describe above about buying it at the foundation stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

We have also looked at old houses that need demolishing to then rebuild something to our liking which is a costly route but at least we would be guaranteed planning to rebuild something.

I'm not 100% on this so just throwing it out as something to check up on - the regulations vary between councils so not sure how Kildare/Meath stand on this. Anyway, I recall reading somewhere that a building has to have been occupied within a specified number of years in order to qualify for renovation without satisfying local needs (not minor stuff, but if you need planning for something big). If it's been too long empty and not in a state considered habitable and in need of demolishing you may still have to satisfy local needs.

Advertisement