Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunting Dog

• 29-01-2018 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

So my fellas dog is getting old and probably saw it's last phesant shooting yesterday. I want to get him a new dog to start bonding with and training for next November. Currently they have 2 Springer's and all the people they shoot with have Springer's. I'd love to get a pointer ( German or Red setter).

Just wondering is it ok to go shooting with a springer and a pointer together or will one or both get disheartened as they are only doing half a job each?

Which would ye recommend for phesant, duck, game shooting?

It's a surprise present as we now have our own house where we can have a dog run. I've tested the waters and he would like a springer as that's what he is used to but open to a pointer too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I know a lad that shoots both and quite well too. In fairness they ignore each other and not competing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

So my fellas dog is getting old and probably saw it's last phesant shooting yesterday. I want to get him a new dog to start bonding with and training for next November. Currently they have 2 Springer's and all the people they shoot with have Springer's. I'd love to get a pointer ( German or Red setter).

Just wondering is it ok to go shooting with a springer and a pointer together or will one or both get disheartened as they are only doing half a job each?

Which would ye recommend for phesant, duck, game shooting?

It's a surprise present as we now have our own house where we can have a dog run. I've tested the waters and he would like a springer as that's what he is used to but open to a pointer too.

Pointers and springers working together not a good combination,that said you can be lucky,what I have experienced is the pointer will be inclined to run in like the springer in competition with the springer,unless you can keep the springer at heel which defeats the purpose of the springer, if he is used to springers and the terrain is more suited to springers i would stick with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Are springer pointer cross pups easily got? Best of both worlds or just stick with one or the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Are springer pointer cross pups easily got? Best of both worlds or just stick with one or the other?

Stick with one or the other, you might get a lunatic of a pointerxSpringer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Red setter take s while to mature problem with hunting both together is Springer learns that when dog points there’s a Pheasant and are inclined to push on you need to have very good control over the Springer German pointer is s good all round dog with regsrds hunting and retrieving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

My knowledge and experience with gun dogs is very limited as I have spent many years shooting over other lads dogs (Springers and Sprockers mostly and the occasional pointer). I recently got a young working Cocker and it's showing good potential.
    As is my form I was doing a bit of research on the internet and came across a great UTube vid with lads working cocker and labadours together. The cockers were flushing and dropping to the shot while the labs were sent in for the retrieve. It looked a great combination very successful and entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

A hunting dog is a long term investment (average 10 years) so a bad choice (surprise) might not be a good idea.
    Only one person has mentioned red setters, lovely dog, my father had one. Not a dog for mixed use like a springer.
    Had a pointer myself and they're a great dog. Not sure how they work with springers so see advise above.

As you say getting a dog and bonding is a big thing so the best thing I can suggest is that you tell him you're getting him a pup and that you choose it together. Maybe have a pup in mind and make the surprise going to look at a litter together and gauge his interest / reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

....As you say getting a dog and bonding is a big thing so the best thing I can suggest is that you tell him you're getting him a pup and that you choose it together.....

Agreed. Actually, I'd go a step further and tell him to go look at some dogs and their pups and you'll just pay for the one he likes best.

Despite the very best of intentions, or how well you might know your pal etc. picking a dog is a personal thing - sometimes, people just take a shine to a particular pup in a litter, on other occasions a dog can form an initial bond with someone on first meeting and it sticks (happened with my own guy, first time I picked him up, he climbed into the inside of my jacket - it was the start of a beautiful relationship :D).

There's also the risk that your pal won't particularly like any of the pups on offer, but feel awkward about telling you he doesn't like any of them, given you are trying to make him a gift of one.

Thanks,

G.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Asked him again last night and he wants to get a 6/8 week old springer in April. Spend summer bonding with it and a small bit of training then aug-nov train it and although it will be very young for this year's season he can learn off the other dogs and then he'll be a perfect dog for next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I let him pick the dog himself you pay for it,

• Advertisement

Lad from local gun club had an accidental litter of Llewellyn x Springer's. For 100 euro at 3 weeks old is it worth the risk? Anyone have experience with a silimar crossbred dog? Lovely looking pups with mother and father both good hunters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭daleshooter

I had a German x Springer was blessed with him hunted like Springer but pointed as well. But you could finnish up with a lunatic if he hunts with Springer I would stay with a Springer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Lad from local gun club had an accidental litter of Llewellyn x Springer's. For 100 euro at 3 weeks old is it worth the risk? Anyone have experience with a silimar crossbred dog? Lovely looking pups with mother and father both good hunters

He's given the pups away at 3 weeks old??:eek::eek:

If so run a mile from anyone whos willing to do that..

and better off sticking with one or the other. never know what you'll get with a cross.

garv123 wrote:
    He's given the pups away at 3 weeks old??

Excuse my ignorance but why?

They are actually 2 months old, worked, microchipped and vaccined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

You say both parents are good workers. As good a chance as any. Go for it!

Eddie B wrote: »
    You say both parents are good workers. As good a chance as any. Go for it!

Took this advice and got the pup yesterday evening. Absoutly gorgeous pup. Any tips on how to help him settle in. He spent the night in a small shed with a dog bed and cuddly toy. Fed the same nuts as he was getting all along. Played with him for an hour inside the house after getting him but dont want to do this any more as he wont be allowed in house when older so dont want to start bad habbits now.

All advice, tips and ticks welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Excuse my ignorance but why?

way too young to be away from the mother at that ages, 8-10 weeks min.

But I see you said 2 months in your next post.

Took this advice and got the pup yesterday evening. Absoutly gorgeous pup. Any tips on how to help him settle in. He spent the night in a small shed with a dog bed and cuddly toy. Fed the same nuts as he was getting all along. Played with him for an hour inside the house after getting him but dont want to do this any more as he wont be allowed in house when older so dont want to start bad habbits now.

All advice, tips and ticks welcome.

I would have suggested asking yer man for some old bedding, thats if he used something disposable like shredded paper etc. Found that great for helping pups settle.

Also, spend as much time with the pup as possible during the day. Hopefully tge weather improves a bit eh.

Eddie B wrote: »
    Also, spend as much time with the pup as possible during the day. Hopefully the weather improves a bit eh.

Yeah in and out to him between the showers is not fun!

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity would you train him as a springer or setter if it were your puppy?

Out of curiosity would you train him as a springer or setter if it were your puppy?

That part comes naturally, and you will find out in time. Just concentrate on obedience training. Sit, stay, come etc. You can also train him to retrieve after you have obedience training complete. This all takes time, and do not rush it. One step at a time.

Quick update. 3 days of phesant shooting with the pup and he suprised everyone with how good he was. We had done alot of work with him over the summer, basic obedience - come, sit, stay, fetch. And done some fetch with dummy phesant etc but he still surpassed our expectations come November Day. Great nose on the fella and very slow and calculated when on a bird. So far he has done both flush and set. He tends to flush birds that are running and set birds that are sitting tight. We are both chuffed with him and looking forward to many happy years hunting with him hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

Good to hear it all worked out.

Advertisement