Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I want an Endurance bike?

Options
  • 29-01-2018 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭

I've been thinking of a (and actually may have the means) to buy a Canyon Endurace (disc) but the closer it comes to a reality the more I question it.

I like the look of the bike and the spec but my lust for carbon has cooled so I started thinking about the AL version (maybe with Ultegra instead of 105) but now I've started wondering do I really want another endurance bike given that my Winter steed and general purpose workhorse is a Croix de Fer?

My current "good" /summer bike is a budget Aluminium frame that is very much on the more traditional Road = Racing bike side of things (Tifosi CK3) and I'm very happy on that Geometry, the areas I'd like to develop from it are a slightly more lively response and bigger tyre clearance as it's relatively light for 100kg me (a hair over 10kg w two bidons) so weight savings on the frame are more or less academic.

OTOH I have no interest in racing and sportives, Audax and club spins are what will be asked of any new bike, I'm now convinced that 28mm tyres are more than enough for Wicklow roads and find that while the CdF is a fine steed, when I'm on it I miss the responsiveness of my (stiff lightweight aluminium singlesspeed and the relvative nimbleness of the Tifosi (which does however feel like it sucks up a lot more of my energy than the singlesped (which I believe was a top end frame-set of 20 years ago) or the Bianchi Intrepida I spent two weeks on last summer (which definitely didn't transform me as a climber but definitely accentuated the things I'm already fairly good at).

So suddenly on the eve of being finally able to go for the Canyon I'm vacillating back towards something like a CAAD12.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I was reading that and thinking, sounds like you need a CAAD12 then I got to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It sounds to me like you need some titanium in your life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Its like you've been watching my internet browsing history over the weekend and created a thread for me.
    I'm looking at nearly the same two bike, the CAAD 12 105 or the Canyon Ultimate AL SLX 8.0.

I know they are not exactly the same geometry but i feel i'll be comfortable on both and i'm just really weighing it up on value now.

Last years Caad 12 105 can be got on the net for about 1200 in size 54, while the Canyon is nearly 1700 but with better parts.

From everything i've watched or read, the CAAD 12 frame seems to be amazing for a ALU frame and for nearly a 500 euro saving over getting Ultegra and Cosmic wheels, which i'd probably change for my Zonda's anyway, i'm leaning towards the Cannondale

And this years CAAD 12 colours are a bit iffy TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    It sounds to me like you need some titanium in your life :D

I actually spent last weekend looking at the few in budget titanium options (just PX really) in the end I decided that budget titanium was too much of an uknown quantity (reviews of the PX bikes other than Pickenflick are scarce and most bikes seemed more in the CDFs remit than a "summer" bike.

And this years CAAD 12 colours are a bit iffy TBH.

I hate when that happens.

• Advertisement

I hate when that happens.

That's why i'm leaning towards last years version.
    It's much nicer.

https://www.aquabluesport.com/cannondale-caad12-105

I've had my eye on a Cannondale for a while, but there's one thing that really really pisses me off with Cannondale and several other manufacturers.

If you are putting Ultegra, or 105 or whatever groupset on a bike, then put that groupset on, don't save a few quid by sticking your on own branded or FSA crankset just to save a few quid on the build cost.

it may be that the Cannondale crank is better, but in my eyes, it doesn't look as good and lets face it, looking good is big factor in buying a bike.

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

OP I am in the same boat. But I am looking at the Trek Domane AL, mainly 'cos it'll take mudguards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Aegir wrote: »
    I've had my eye on a Cannondale for a while, but there's one thing that really really pisses me off with Cannondale and several other manufacturers.

If you are putting Ultegra, or 105 or whatever groupset on a bike, then put that groupset on, don't save a few quid by sticking your on own branded or FSA crankset just to save a few quid on the build cost.

it may be that the Cannondale crank is better, but in my eyes, it doesn't look as good and lets face it, looking good is big factor in buying a bike.

/rant

Agree with you but thought it was something to do with their specific BB?

I've been thinking of a (and actually may have the means) to buy a Canyon Endurace (disc) but the closer it comes to a reality the more I question it.

I like the look of the bike and the spec but my lust for carbon has cooled so I started thinking about the AL version (maybe with Ultegra instead of 105) but now I've started wondering do I really want another endurance bike given that my Winter steed and general purpose workhorse is a Croix de Fer?

My current "good" /summer bike is a budget Aluminium frame that is very much on the more traditional Road = Racing bike side of things (Tifosi CK3) and I'm very happy on that Geometry, the areas I'd like to develop from it are a slightly more lively response and bigger tyre clearance as it's relatively light for 100kg me (a hair over 10kg w two bidons) so weight savings on the frame are more or less academic.

OTOH I have no interest in racing and sportives, Audax and club spins are what will be asked of any new bike, I'm now convinced that 28mm tyres are more than enough for Wicklow roads and find that while the CdF is a fine steed, when I'm on it I miss the responsiveness of my (stiff lightweight aluminium singlesspeed and the relvative nimbleness of the Tifosi (which does however feel like it sucks up a lot more of my energy than the singlesped (which I believe was a top end frame-set of 20 years ago) or the Bianchi Intrepida I spent two weeks on last summer (which definitely didn't transform me as a climber but definitely accentuated the things I'm already fairly good at).

So suddenly on the eve of being finally able to go for the Canyon I'm vacillating back towards something like a CAAD12.

Will the Tifosi not take 28mm tyres?

If it does, have you considered just upgrading that instead?

• Advertisement

Will the Tifosi not take 28mm tyres?

If it does, have you considered just upgrading that instead?

1. No.

2. The tyres aren't why I want to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

In my experience, people who open threads like this want to be told yes. so,

YES, you want one.

(Canyon ftw)

1. No.

2. The tyres aren't why I want to upgrade.

I just asked because i have a similar bike to yours by the sounds of things and I have just stuck a pair of Fulcrum racing 5s on her. It feels like a new bike now and i am considering upgrading from Sora to 105.

OK, this will end up costing me €700ish on a bike i paid €600 for, but I do love the bike and due to space and school fees, I'm not able to go for the N+1 option :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I'd take a CAAD12 over the Canyon and pocket the difference on some tasty bits & bobs....or (inserts novel idea) just keep the €500 for getting on with life :)

I just asked because i have a similar bike to yours by the sounds of things and I have just stuck a pair of Fulcrum racing 5s on her. It feels like a new bike now and i am considering upgrading from Sora to 105.

OK, this will end up costing me €700ish on a bike i paid €600 for, but I do love the bike and due to space and school fees, I'm not able to go for the N+1 option :D

Tifosi has been with me for 6 years now and has been upgraded in every way except the frameset ( the origninal gruppo was a Veloce / Miche mix that I gradually made thoroughbred Campagnolo)

I can't N+1 either, Tifosi will have to be rehomed as part of the process.

One other cost saving measure on the Tifosi seems to have been the paint which aged and got damaged faster than any other bike I've owned (maybe it's just a result of being white).

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

The main difference between 105 and Ultegra is 253g (full groupsets - source). It probably only makes sense to get Ultegra if you're shaving weight all over the bike too - lighter wheels/frameset etc.

What has caused your lust for carbon to cool? If you already have a steel bike and an Alu bike, surely you have room for carbon in your life too?

Tifosi has been with me for 6 years now and has been upgraded in every way except the frameset ( the origninal gruppo was a Veloce / Miche mix that I gradually made thoroughbred Campagnolo)

I can't N+1 either, Tifosi will have to be rehomed as part of the process.

One other cost saving measure on the Tifosi seems to have been the paint which aged and got damaged faster than any other bike I've owned (maybe it's just a result of being white).

aah, ok. Sounds like your are where I will likely be in a few years time.

My Forme is white as well. It looks good, but a pain in the arse to maintain

Yeah, to be fair Ultegra was never really more than a flight of fancy based largely on having nicer looking IMO levers.

Carbon...well I do wonder about its brittleness, I know it's ridden in tough conditions without failing and people have decade old CF bikes. But I am a giant orgre that breaks things so I'm more worried about damaging the bike when I'm not riding it.

Also there are environmental issues about carbon production which bothers me ( https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2017/mar/22/carbon-fibre-wonder-material-dirty-secret ) especially as Taiwanese / Mainlaind china manufacturers apparently view it as "Ocean Fill".

These arguments could be made about most mass manufacturing but it bothers me more when it's just a "for the sake of it" purchase in my case.

That's why I started looking at Titanium initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

An interesting piece about Carbon and environment. Makes me even more pro-metal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

I’m currently running a 2017 caad12 105 rim version with 28mm tyres . I’m going to ugrade to the new ultegra so I’ll probably just switch bikes soon to the caad 12 ultegra . No intention of swapping to carbon or whatever
    I hear people talking about how aggressive it is but to me it’s really comfortable all-round bike and the great thing is i can just swap wheels if I want to race and also ride it all winter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Anyone heard of this crowd. Bunnyhop.de
    https://www.bunnyhop.de/en/product?action_ms=1&info=37298

Brian wrote: »

Legend has it that the title CAAD12 comes from being 2% less Euro than the CAAD10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Anyone heard of this crowd. Bunnyhop.de
    https://www.bunnyhop.de/en/product?action_ms=1&info=37298

Several posts on the forum here with good feedback if you use the search for bunnyhop.de ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

That Canyon Endurance AL looks absolutely gorgeous!

OP, I've been looking at an endurance bike for general commuting purposes and possibly some longer distance stuff as well, so am interested to know why you've gone off the Canyon. Do you think that the Croix de Fer is a better bike? Or just more suited to being a general workhorse?

Looked at the Croix de Fer at one point for commuting, but it seems to be really expensive for what you get. The Tiagra version comes in at around EUR 1500!

£765 when you check out but only in size 58:mad:

aah, I didn't realise that. they show it in 56cm as well, but out of stock when you try and put it in your basket. :confused:

• Advertisement

That Canyon Endurance AL looks absolutely gorgeous!

OP, I've been looking at an endurance bike for general commuting purposes and possibly some longer distance stuff as well, so am interested to know why you've gone off the Canyon. Do you think that the Croix de Fer is a better bike? Or just more suited to being a general workhorse?

Looked at the Croix de Fer at one point for commuting, but it seems to be really expensive for what you get. The Tiagra version comes in at around EUR 1500!

Because I already own the Croix de Fer

Advertisement