Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with 2 way switch

Options
  • 29-01-2018 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

swapping out a switch in a friends house yesterday. lights upstairs were not working. Disconnected the face plate and very little room to work with the cables unfortunately. Pretty much all of the cables came away as soon as I removed the switch which pretty much fell apart on removal) so now I'm faced with the following:

2 cables coming from downstairs. 4 others coming from above. One is for the bathroom light. One is a perm live wire. One is for the landing light and the fourth looks like a looped feed possibly for another of the upstairs lights. The 2 from below, one of them is a switched live which gives power when switched from the hallway. The other, I don't know. So, I've a double switch with 2 X L1 & L2 terminals and 2 COM terminals. Wiring assistance appreciated :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

dodzy wrote: »
    one of them is a switched live which gives power when switched from the hallway.

Is the other live when the hallway switch is in the other position?
    I'm guessing that the hallway light has two switches. The two wire from the other switch go into L1 and L2 usually, with the Com feeding the light.

A relatively simple job.

two-way-lighting-circuit.png

dodzy wrote: »
    swapping out a switch in a friends house yesterday.

If your friend had hired an electrician he wouldn't have spent last night in the dark!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Is the other live when the hallway switch is in the other position?
    I'm guessing that the hallway light has two switches. The two wire from the other switch go into L1 and L2 usually, with the Com feeding the light.

A relatively simple job.

two-way-lighting-circuit.png

If your friend had hired an electrician he wouldn't have spent last night in the dark!!

Cheers BS, not in the dark, just no control for switching the landing light on from DS, working fine upstairs. Cheers for the diagram; makes perfect sense .

Advertisement