Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB LTV bands - negotiate discount?

• 29-01-2018 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

We have a mortgage with AIB.

After being fixed for a couple of years we are now moving to a variable rate.

When we bought the house our LTV was 84%. Today, after house price increases and refurbishment work by us it has been valued at 64%.

In their letter to us AIB offer 3 rates, greater than 80% LTV, 50 - 80% and less than 50%.

Obviously we fall into the 50 - 80% range. Other banks have brackets at 60 and 70%. I wonder if anyone has negotiated with AIB to get a discount based on a midrange LTV like ours?

I know we could look at remortgaging with another bank but I would rather not if I could avoid it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

hooplah wrote: »
    We have a mortgage with AIB.

After being fixed for a couple of years we are now moving to a variable rate.

When we bought the house our LTV was 84%. Today, after house price increases and refurbishment work by us it has been valued at 64%.

In their letter to us AIB offer 3 rates, greater than 80% LTV, 50 - 80% and less than 50%.

Obviously we fall into the 50 - 80% range. Other banks have brackets at 60 and 70%. I wonder if anyone has negotiated with AIB to get a discount based on a midrange LTV like ours?

I know we could look at remortgaging with another bank but I would rather not if I could avoid it.

AIB have set rates for each LTV band, the 50-80 band rate is currently 2.95%. You don't need to negotiate just prove that you fall into that band and tick the relevant rate on the form AIB send out near the end of your fixed term.

They do the rest.

Advertisement