Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friendly Cork

Options
  • 29-01-2018 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Walking on Pana saturday morning, a teenage lad in a dark (possibly school) jacket said 'How's it going?'. I thought maybe he mistook me for someone else, but replied politely and kept on going.

15 minutes later, on Oliver Plunkett Street, another teenager, similarly dressed, same thing.

20 minutes later, walking past the River Lee hotel, 2 more kids, again dark jackets - 'How's it going?'.

Not at all unusual in a small town, but very unusual in Cork. The fact that they were all dressed the same makes me think its a campaign of some sort. Sounds like a good idea to me if it is.

Anybody got any insight to offer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Stugots wrote: »
    Walking on Pana saturday morning, a teenage lad in a dark (possibly school) jacket said 'How's it going?'. I thought maybe he mistook me for someone else, but replied politely and kept on going.

15 minutes later, on Oliver Plunkett Street, another teenager, similarly dressed, same thing.

20 minutes later, walking past the River Lee hotel, 2 more kids, again dark jackets - 'How's it going?'.

Not at all unusual in a small town, but very unusual in Cork. The fact that they were all dressed the same makes me think its a campaign of some sort. Sounds like a good idea to me if it is.

Anybody got any insight to offer?

Mormons I think

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Around Christmas same thing happened me. "Hows it going" hand out and has a business card in his hand. Said something like "do you want to welcome Jesus into your life?".

6p4QeTN.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Sometimes if people look at me walking down the street I just say hello to be polite.

Started it at 13,still doing it in my 30’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Sometimes if peoplw look at me walking down the street I just say hello to be polite.

Started it at 13,still doing it in my 30’s.

I always do it too, regardless of where I am. Saw my Grandfather do it before me and just followed suit tbh.

Knex. wrote: »
    I always do it too, regardless of where I am. Saw my Grandfather do it before me and just followed suit tbh.

Some people wouldn't bother saluting back,doesn't bother me though, i think we're just from that generation.

It's nice to be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Cork was like that in the 90's & 00's when I lived there. Very nice vibe. Cork is a friendly city, hope it doesn't completely lose that..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Dbu wrote: »
    Mormons I think

+1, saw them myself and noticed a nametag with church of the latter day saints on it on one guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Did you check for your phone and wallet after the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

'Tis a fine barn but sure it is no pool, English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Some people wouldn't bother saluting back,doesn't bother me though, i think we're just from that generation.

It's nice to be nice.

'magine that, just being nice, for no reason at all like :eek:

I remember first time being in Cork after living in Dublin for about a year at that stage. (this is the late 90's).....couldn't believe it, bartenders would actually try to chat to you. Beyond the bare minimum required of taking orders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Stranger: [walking by me, looks straight at me, says "hi, hello"]
    Me: Oh, hi [smiles]
    Stranger: [stares angrily at me, points at their ear, mouths "I'm on the phone"]

Grrrrrrr! Happened more than once, I'm now instantly wary of people talking to me on the street. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It's nice to be nice.

I do it too but I think it's because I'm from up the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

who_me wrote: »

Grrrrrrr! Happened more than once, I'm now instantly wary of people talking to me on the street. :D

Usually people who engage me in conversation on the street are chuggers or people who want 2 Euros 'for the bus'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Was hoping this was gonna be about radio friendly :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

After moving away from Cork, have to say that Cork people are super friendly thought the old Galwegans were but tis false like, they are very sceptical of you until they know you. I would always salute or say hello to people when passing them....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Mormons I think
    I hope not, as last time I irritated them so much by cutting off their spiel and trying to convert them back, one of them physically threaten me. Touchy bunch.

Milly33 wrote: »
    After moving away from Cork, have to say that Cork people are super friendly thought the old Galwegans were but tis false like, they are very sceptical of you until they know you. I would always salute or say hello to people when passing them....
    You left Cork for Galway? You traitor :pac:

I’ve only been to Galway twice, it has nothing on Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

You left Cork for Galway? You traitor :pac:

I’ve only been to Galway twice, it has nothing in Cork.
    You're not a fan of porter then.

I'd move to Galway if sculling pints of black didn't harm your health

Yep fancied a change so any trip to Galway I always thought people were so friendly, but they have nothing on Cork!! Its charm, the banter, and they are shocking drivers up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Yeah one think I noticed when I moved up the country for college was how cagey people were compared to Cork, they stuck in their own little groups of schoolfriends and literally wouldn't speak to anyone outside of that. It was odd coming from Cork City where people you just met would openly mock you to your face about your clothes or glasses or whatever, whether they knew you or not!

Having said that, I really got to hate walking around Cork because of the amount of charity chuggers clogging up the streets. I'm not sure if it is still as bad for that, probably is.

• Advertisement

D'Agger wrote: »
    You're not a fan of porter then.

I'd move to Galway if sculling pints of black didn't harm your health

I’m a pioneer :D

Milly33 wrote: »
    Yep fancied a change so any trip to Galway I always thought people were so friendly, but they have nothing on Cork!! Its charm, the banter, and they are shocking drivers up here.

Are you in the city or county?

My only experience of Galway after getting off the M18 is the M6 and parkmore, oh and that infamous feckin roundabout.

JKerova1 wrote: »
    I really got to hate walking around Cork because of the amount of charity chuggers clogging up the streets. I'm not sure if it is still as bad for that, probably is.

Dublin eclipses Cork for that, my experience of Grafton Street alone was enough.

JKerova1 wrote: »
    Yeah one think I noticed when I moved up the country for college was how cagey people were compared to Cork, they stuck in their own little groups of schoolfriends and literally wouldn't speak to anyone outside of that. It was odd coming from Cork City where people you just met would openly mock you to your face about your clothes or glasses or whatever, whether they knew you or not!

Oh the taking of the piss!! But you see there is only a certain type that can take the piss out of you and be forgiven, and sure they are Cork people...

I love the random conversations and they no beating around the bush say what you want and that's it, but say it with a smile...

We are outside the city CTdriver but not that far!! And just people are very cagey of you, some are great now don't get me wrong but you would miss the Cork Charm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

After living in Dublin for years, I spent a few weeks in Cork recently. I loved it, and part of the reason was the real genuine friendly welcoming feeling around the place. People are far chattier and more sociable than in Dublin or in other similar sized cities. It's nice. Refreshing!

After living in Dublin for years, I spent a few weeks in Cork recently. I loved it, and part of the reason was the real genuine friendly welcoming feeling around the place. People are far chattier and more sociable than in Dublin or in other similar sized cities. It's nice. Refreshing!

We’re a great bunch of lads down here :D

Always up for the craic :)

D’ya know what I mean like!

Feckin Epic that's what Cork people are like

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

Its contagious too. I walk the old Cork/Passage railway line for years now and would always salute other walkers, nine time outa ten you'd get a reply (except that Rochestown road shower). Then came an invasion of east Europeans, and they'd look at ya kinda quare when you'd say hello...now they are the first to salute and you'd get a big grin/smile when you'd answer them, its like a big achievement to them ! nice to be nice, and shur how bad like!

Can you imagine what people who have never been to Cork are saying looking in at this thread.

The feens and beours wouldn’t have a clue!

Only in Cork does “I will ya” mean no :D

As for the Rochestown crowd, we won’t even go there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Mormons I think
    Manach wrote: »
    I hope not, as last time I irritated them so much by cutting off their spiel and trying to convert them back, one of them physically threaten me. Touchy bunch.

Can't get the image of "physically intimidating Mormons" out of my mind now. That's like saying "physically intimidating kittens" :D:D:D

Advertisement