Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC upgrade build

Options
  • 29-01-2018 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? €500 - €600

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? HTPC (Saorview/FreeSat/Torrents/Spotify etc)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Case/SSD/2x Hard Drives/DVD Drive/2x TV Tuner cards (Blackgold BGT3540 & TBS 6981)/[Asus R7-240 Graphics Card (on-board video will prob be better)]

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1920x1080. No plans.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Debit Card or Bank Transfer

9. When are you purchasing? In 7-10 days

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? South Dublin City

So I'm going to strip-down my old Sony Vaio VGX-XL201 & reutilise the case, as per this project: https://sites.google.com/site/vaioxlgroup/tutorials/vgx-xl-redux-project-by-sinful. I am getting custom cables & back-plate made-up for me.

This is my first build so bear with me :o. Here's my first attempt at a parts list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DXKnm8.

CPU- an i3? 8th Gen/Coffee Lake? This comes with a stock cooler, so I presume I won’t need the Noctua NH-L12S cooler, unless stock isn't low-profile enough.

MB- has to be Micro-ATX. Connected to 5.1 Home Cinema system so I would like good Audio Codecs & need both Analogue & Digital Audio outputs (i.e. Line Out audio output as well as HDMI or Spdif). Onboard graphics capable of 4k Video would be good for future-proofing if/when I upgrade my TV.

RAM- DDR4? Presume should be 8Gb at least, is it best to get 1x8Gb or 2x4Gb? What speed should I go for- the fastest the MB can support or would slower/cheaper be acceptable?

PSU- has to be a TFX PSU (the only form factor that will fit). The BeQuiet seems to have the right dimensions to fit the case, is 300W & Gold rated, so presumably this is ok? I can get cable extensions separately.

Any advice gratefully received :)

Advertisement