Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir email IMAP incoming server

Options
  • 29-01-2018 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I've just upgraded my PC and am moving my email from Windows Live Mail to Microsoft Outlook. I'm able to send emails but not receive them. I'm getting an error message about not being able to logon to the Incoming server. My email address  is ***@eircom.net. The Imap incoming server I'm inputting is "webmail.eircom.net". Under "advance settings" I'm using the Port 143. I've tried using all 4 different options for security "None", "SSL" etc. I just can't logon to the incoming server.
    Any ideas what I should do next?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

mcardler wrote: »
    I've just upgraded my PC and am moving my email from Windows Live Mail to Microsoft Outlook. I'm able to send emails but not receive them. I'm getting an error message about not being able to logon to the Incoming server. My email address  is ***@eircom.net. The Imap incoming server I'm inputting is "webmail.eircom.net". Under "advance settings" I'm using the Port 143. I've tried using all 4 different options for security "None", "SSL" etc. I just can't logon to the incoming server.
    Thanks.
    Server's changed

webmail.eir.ie

I use port 993 with SSL/TLS but I think 143 does as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Thanks.
    Hi mcardler, 

I'm afraid I'm not aware of this issue from here. The best advice I can offer is to contact our support team on chat here - https://www.eir.ie/chatnow/ or alternatively you can contact them on 1890 260 260. They'll be able to assist you from there. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mcardler

MBSnr wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Server's changed

webmail.eir.ie

I use port 993 with SSL/TLS but I think 143 does as well.
    Thanks - have now tried webmail.eir.ie but it still doesn't work

Thanks.
    Hi mcardler, 

I'm afraid I'm not aware of this issue from here. The best advice I can offer is to contact our support team on chat here - https://www.eir.ie/chatnow/ or alternatively you can contact them on 1890 260 260. They'll be able to assist you from there. 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    The eir.ie.chatnow haven't responded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Thanks.
    Hi mcardler, 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    I'm sorry to hear this, someone may not be available at present. 

I'd recommend contacting the support number and they can assist you there. 

Thanks

Tracey 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Stephenc66

Thanks.
    Hi mcardler, 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    Did you get any joy. I am having similar problems with Outlook 2016 in Office 365. Eir web chat made recommendations 

"Stephen, please set the Incoming server as “webmail.eir.ie” and the outgoing server as “mail1.eircom.net”
    SSL should be turned OFF or Disabled.

Stephen, If you are using a different internet service provider in your device you need to get the Outgoing server details from them, to update in the application
    But the incoming server details remain the same."

The rep did suggest changes to the ports as well but hasn't worked and I got back to a second rep this is the responce. 

"I am sorry Stephen, as this iss third party App and we are not trained about outlook setting but we can only provide the above setting that you have already given by one of our representative."

Stephenc66 wrote: »
    Thanks.
    Hi mcardler, 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    Did you get any joy. I am having similar problems with Outlook 2016 in Office 365. Eir web chat made recommendations 

"Stephen, please set the Incoming server as “webmail.eir.ie” and the outgoing server as “mail1.eircom.net”
    SSL should be turned OFF or Disabled.

Stephen, If you are using a different internet service provider in your device you need to get the Outgoing server details from them, to update in the application
    But the incoming server details remain the same."

The rep did suggest changes to the ports as well but hasn't worked and I got back to a second rep this is the responce. 

"I am sorry Stephen, as this iss third party App and we are not trained about outlook setting but we can only provide the above setting that you have already given by one of our representative."
    No, I've made no progress either. Its the incoming server which is the problem. My ISP is Vodafone and I have no problems with the outgoing server - I can send but can't receive emails - my email address is ***.eircom.net and eir are only interested in giving out the same instructions they have issued to you - "basically its not our problem". I'm not sure what to do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Stephenc66

You may already have seen this copied from their website. I am lucky in that it is not my primary email address having switched to Gmail a good while ago but I do use it for back up and like to have it handy in Outlook. This is the first version of Outlook it's not worked with.

Reading this it looks like a big step backwards

[font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]Issues sending emails[/font]

[font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]Are you accessing your emails through an email client (e.g. Outlook/Mac Mail)?
    [/font]
    • Emails sent through these will only send when you’re connected to an eir broadband or WiFi connection.
    • Outside of an eir broadband connection, you will need to edit the "Outgoing Mail server" to the outgoing mail server of the internet provider you're connected to.
    • Note – The outgoing mail server for eir Mobile and Meteor is ‘eircom.net’
    [*]
    When sending an email via an email client e.g. Outlook, Apple Mail, Phone etc. you are dependent on the broadband provider that you are using at that time. Therefore the email client should be configured to the broadband connection that is being used. If it's not set up correctly, emails will not send.

[*]

[font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]Issues receiving emails[/font]

[font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]It's possible some emails are being picked up as spam. Check your "Junk" folder. You can then choose to move the email to your inbox by selecting the email and clicking the "Not Spam" option.[/font]

Yeah, they say nothing about receiving emails on their “support” site - useless. I’m going to have to keep the old computer going just so as I can pick-up my “Windows Live Mail” emails. Unless some nice person on here gives me a fix. There’s got to be a fix, I can’t be the only person in the country with a eircom.net email who’s recently switched over to Microsoft Outlook?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I've recently switched computer but opted for Outlook POP - prefer that option myself for Outlook.

The following are my connection details:

Incoming = webmail.eircom.net
    Outgoing = mail1.eircom.net
    Do not tick SPA
    In More Settings, click Advanced.  Incoming Server = 110; Outgoing = 25.  
    Choose 'None' for Ebcrypted Connection.

When I was trying to set up POP, it kept defaulting to IMAP, but I can't remember what the settings were for it.  I had to Google for days to get what I wanted and I can't remember where I found them in the end.

• Advertisement

Yeah, if I could set-up POP on Outlook, I think that might work. But as you say, Outlook defaults to IMAP and I’m not sure how to change it to Pop. I shall now Google it to see if I can switch my Outlook setting to Pop. Thanks.

Yeah, if I could set-up POP on Outlook, I think that might work. But as you say, Outlook defaults to IMAP and I’m not sure how to change it to Pop. I shall now Google it to see if I can switch my Outlook setting to Pop. Thanks.
    AFAIK, you have to choose to Manually Configure Settings at the start of the process. My Outlook is 2010 - might be slight differences if yours is another version.

RoYoBo wrote: »
    AFAIK, you have to choose to Manually Configure Settings at the start of the process. My Outlook is 2010 - might be slight differences if yours is another version.
    I'm trying this approach but unfortunately I now have a problem connecting with the SMTP server. Outlook tells me that the encryption options I have selected don't work. My ISP is Vodafone and I'm using mail.vodaafone.ie Port 25 and have unchecked everything else. I've now posted a help query on the Vodafone forum. Never-ending!

I'm trying this approach but unfortunately I now have a problem connecting with the SMTP server. Outlook tells me that the encryption options I have selected don't work. My ISP is Vodafone and I'm using mail.vodaafone.ie Port 25 and have unchecked everything else. I've now posted a help query on the Vodafone forum. Never-ending!
    A different ISP requires different settings for your eircom address - try here for details.

So to summarise: I initially set up my Outlook account as an IMAP account but couldn’t get connected to the Eircom incoming server but I could send via the outgoing Vodafone server. I then deleted the IMAP account and set up a POP account. Now I can access the incoming Eircom server but can’t access the outgoing Vodafone server. It seems crazy that I could access the Vodafone outgoing server with the IMAP account but can’t with the POP account and similarly I can now access the Eircom incoming server with a POP account but couldn’t with the IMAP account. As you can probably guess, I’m not a techo person but for goodness sake what’s going on here - what am I missing?

AFAIK, the outgoing mail server should be that of your ISP (Vodafone) and the incoming would be Eircom - try that.  Vodafone's security settings will be different to Eircom's, so you'll need to experiment there or get more info.  I know I had this problem before with my Eircom address and Sky as my ISP.  

Failing that, create/use a gmail address and pull your emails through that and into Outlook.  I have a few email addresses and this works simply enough.  Gmail POP 3 or IMAP settings work automatically with Outlook.

I don't think Eir here will be of much help as you're actually with Vodafone - have you asked on the Vodafone forum or on the Computer forum here?

AFAIK, the outgoing mail server should be that of your ISP (Vodafone) and the incoming would be Eircom - try that.  Vodafone's security settings will be different to Eircom's, so you'll need to experiment there or get more info.  I know I had this problem before with my Eircom address and Sky as my ISP.  

Failing that, create/use a gmail address and pull your emails through that and into Outlook.  I have a few email addresses and this works simply enough.  Gmail POP 3 or IMAP settings work automatically with Outlook.

I don't think Eir here will be of much help as you're actually with Vodafone - have you asked on the Vodafone forum or on the Computer forum here?
    Yeah, I've posted this on Vodafone forum also - no success yet

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Finally after 2 1/2weeks I got this issued resolved. Had to speak to Microsoft Support in the end. The solution was the version of Microsoft Office I was using. As I had just acquired a new PC, I was using a 30 day trial of Microsoft Office 365 which for whatever reason wouldn't let me reach my Mail Servers. Changed the version of Office and all is now working. Thanks to those of you who helped me on this one.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Its a pain in the ass. I too am with Sky and neither they nor Eir could provide the correct instructions for setting up an eircom. net account. In the end I just let the eircom address go redundant and I use gmail now. Probably just as well they are not involved in the National Broadband roll out.

Advertisement