Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boil Water Notice for Co. Wicklow

Options
  • 29-01-2018 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Just saw this on RTE, boil water notice for North Wicklow and South Dublin. Basically anywhere served by the Vartry plant.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0129/936817-boil-notice/
    Boil water notice for Wicklow and south Dublin
    Updated / Monday, 29 Jan 2018 15:04
    Water must be boiled for drinking, food preparation, brushing teeth and making ice
    Water must be boiled for drinking, food preparation, brushing teeth and making ice
    A boil water notice has been issued for a large portion of Wicklow and south Dublin.

It has been issued as a result of the mechanical failure of a chlorine booster at the Vartry Water Treatment Plant.

Irish Water will liaise with the HSE with a view to having the Boil Water Notice removed as soon as possible.

The company are carrying out chlorine dosing on the supply today and have put in place a water sampling programme to test the chlorine levels in the impacted areas.

Roughly 65,000 people are believed to be affected by the notice.

In the meantime, all customers of this supply are advised to boil water before use until further notice.

The notice affects the following areas in Co Wicklow:

Ashford, Newcastle including Newcastle Hospital, Newtownmountkennedy, Kilcoole, Kilquade, Kilpedder, Kilmacanogue including Glenview Hotel/Kilmurray Cottages, Greystones, Cookstown Road, Fassaroe/Berryfield Lane, Kilcroney, Delgany and Bray.

A number of areas in south Dublin are also included:

Corke Abbey, Woodbrook Glen, Old Connaught Avenue, Thornhill Road, Ballyman Road, Ferndale Road from its junction with Old Connaught Avenue to Allies River Road, the Dublin Road from the junction of Old Connaught Avenue to Allies River Road, and all areas off these roads.

In a statement, Irish Water say that water must be boiled for drinking, food preparation, brushing teeth and making ice.

They add that domestic water filters will not make water safe to drink.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Anybody wanting to buy bottled water had better hurry up ... supplies running very low at Bray Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They're keeping this nice and quiet, when it happens in Leitrim or somewhere it's all over the news but this thread is the first I've seen and Id brushed my teeth already.

Thargor wrote: »
    ... Id brushed my teeth already.
    It's been nice knowing you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Meh, as a student we carried on through the outbreaks in Galways water supply because nobody could be bothered buying water or lugging it from the Council tankers, figured we'd just sue them if anything happened to us :D

They're all out of water in Aldi Bray until tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Nothing zero zip about the situation on Wicklow Co Co website (that I can see) - anyone know if water tankers will provide water to local populations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Update: Wicklow CoCo now has note to contact Irish Water. I rang them - no water tankers are planned at this time - apparently water is safe to drink when boiled and on that basis no water tankers are being provided excepted for those that are vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

So how do I know if I am vulnerable?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Pump the water with chlorine to kill bacteria and then pump into a leaking victorian suir to the public

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Any update on the boil notice ?

• Advertisement

worded wrote: »
    Any update on the boil notice ?
    They're going to give an update tonight at 6pm pending the results of tests they've been carrying out.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

No updates visible: https://www.water.ie/support/water-disruptions/

"We are working closely with the HSE to lift the Boil Water Notice"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Mate has a complicated looking osmosis water filter fitted

He thinks he doesn’t have to boil, it that correct or will he die screaming soon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

He thinks he doesn’t have to boil, it that correct or will he die screaming soon ?

interesting "Death by Osmosis" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

He still needs to boil

https://www.water.ie/water-supply/water-quality/boil-water-notice/
    Irish Water cannot vouch for the ability of any domestic water filters to remove harmful bacteria – therefore it is advisable that water should be boiled even if these are in place.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

The boil water notice has been lifted for all the areas affected, apart from the Woodstock Business Park in Kilcoole

https://www.water.ie/news/boil-water-notice-lifted--9/

Advertisement