Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France vs Ireland Buildup Thread [MOD WARNING IN OP]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Isabelle Ithurburu
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    Im not sure where you checked the rankings, but before rwc 07 France were ranked 3rd and us 5th.

Glad someone picked up that I was referring to the RWC and not the 6N :D

I always thought Ireland was ranked 3rd in the world going into the 07 RWC. I would have bet the house on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Paul K*mmage
    MK thinks Conway mightn't make it and Ferg will be on the bench.

Just thought I'd share that little nugget. ;)

Remote possibility Larmour gets the nod ahead of Ferg, but Ferg is named in his possible 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Conway with another ill timed injury in Ireland camp.
    He’s playing great stuff and is a loss.
    Mr Dependable Ferg would be a good replacement but I think Larmour should be given his wings in these circumstances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Paul K*mmage
    prawnsambo wrote: »

Remote possibility Larmour gets the nod ahead of Ferg, but Ferg is named in his possible 23.
    Disaster! he is "noticeably slower" than conway.  :P
    Seriously though, France consistently have good u-20s, have 2 leagues of professional clubs and they are playing at home. No matter the mismanagement, lack of cohesion and management, I think it will be a one score game. I think it will be a slugfest.

An early mauled try will go a long way toward an ireland win, to dent the french confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Paul K*mmage
    Conway with another ill timed injury in Ireland camp.
    He’s playing great stuff and is a loss.
    Mr Dependable Ferg would be a good replacement but I think Larmour should be given his wings in these circumstances
    I think I'd be equal parts excited and frightened if it was Larmour on the bench. Not sure which I'd prefer tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Heard that the IRFU's plan to print the team-sheet for Saturday ran into a hitch when there was no toner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Heard that the IRFU's plan to print the team-sheet for Saturday ran into a hitch when there was no toner.

Heard they were cryan out for an express delivery of some replacement all right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Heading for Paris on Friday and will be up in "Le Tribune Inter Nord" for it. Can't wait. Been going to the Paris fixture since March 2000 when BO'D got the three tries. Slim enough pickings in recent years, an awful one point defeat in the p1ssing rain two years ago....we travelled with optimism that time too.

Im probably as optimistic as I've ever been about this one but there's something about playing France in Paris and the history books show it's an über difficult place to grind out a result. I know they appear to be in disarray but you just never know with them.

Always a great weekend. Should be a cracker. Great city, great people. Safe travels to all making the journey

Aux armes....

Isabelle Ithurburu
    swiwi_ wrote: »

Excellent
    Heard they were cryan out for an express delivery of some replacement all right.

C C C C C Ombo BRRRREAKERR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Isabelle Ithurburu
    Well, Gerry Thornley has given us his "possible" team, in line with other predictions really.

R Kearney; K Earls, R Henshaw, B Aki, J Stockdale; J Sexton, C Murray; C Healy, R Best (capt), T Furlong; James Ryan, I Henderson; P O’Mahony, J van der Flier, CJ Stander.

Replacements: S Cronin, J McGrath, John Ryan, D Toner, D Leavy, K Marmion, J Carbery, F McFadden.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Who's covering centre from the bench? Would it be Ferg?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭andymx11

Synode wrote: »

McFadden to wing and Earls *shudder* to centre..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Paul K*mmage

Earls as centre cover? Stockdale hasn't played there for Ireland but has for Ulster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Isabelle Ithurburu

More likely Ferg to the wing and Earls into centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

garbanzo wrote: »
    Heading for Paris on Friday and will be up in "Le Tribune Inter Nord" for it. Can't wait. Been going to the Paris fixture since March 2000 when BO'D got the three tries. Slim enough pickings in recent years, an awful one point defeat in the p1ssing rain two years ago....we travelled with optimism that time too.

Im probably as optimistic as I've ever been about this one but there's something about playing France in Paris and the history books show it's an über difficult place to grind out a result. I know they appear to be in disarray but you just never know with them.

Always a great weekend. Should be a cracker. Great city, great people. Safe travels to all making the journey

Aux armes....

Heading over myself ; first time for the French Fixture, hope its as good as your post promises !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

Isabelle Ithurburu
    Very likely Conway is out now, so Ferg most likely to get his spot on the bench...
    Think he's showing better form this season than quite a while, so no real worries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭visatorro

Very likely Conway is out now, so Ferg most likely to get his spot on the bench...
    Think he's showing better form this season than quite a while, so no real worries

Fair play to ferg, written off
    Several times. Took his chance when it came and back in Ireland 23. Would have been easy for him just wobble through the rest of the contract

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Glad someone picked up that I was referring to the RWC and not the 6N :D

I always thought Ireland was ranked 3rd in the world going into the 07 RWC. I would have bet the house on it.

They were ranked 3rd after the previous autumn internationals but it didn't last long. Think it was our highest ever ranking at the time so a lot was made of it.

I've managed to erase all traces of that RWC from my memory.

Forecast is for another rainy Paris fixture.
    I’d prefer Toner for scrum and obvious lineout advantage

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

First glance thought 10 said Jailbait, then I looked at the picture and hes so young it could be fitting. Oh getting very nervous and excited now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's about as an experienced line up as they could have gone with.

It's definitely a Brunel selection. Big, physical pack, Lamerat in midfield. We should win this but it's going to be a bruiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Surprised Chat hasn't made the team, is he injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Paul K*mmage
    I hope French fans liked how they played under Laporte. Because it's back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think Gourdon is a better flanker than he is an 8.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Paul K*mmage
    i wouldnt be too frightened of that tight five.... Vahaamahina will be strong at line out time, so i hope we dont regret having toner on the bench.

our back row are stronger if slightly less mobile than theirs, but if the weather plays out as forecasted that suits us as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dubal

Paul K*mmage
    Just has a check, Ladbrokes have Ireland +6, thats a lot for an away match

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Can anyone recommend some good bars for Paris this weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Isabelle Ithurburu
    dubal wrote: »
    Just has a check, Ladbrokes have Ireland +6, thats a lot for an away match

-6 ;)

+6 would mean they expect us to lose

razorblunt wrote: »
    I think Gourdon is a better flanker than he is an 8.

I don’t think he’s ever played 8 for France

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭scott1974

Paul K*mmage
    Just the ten changes since their Autumn Intl against NZ, 1-4 is the same and Teddy Thomas at 14.. obviously one or two injuries but that's a lot of disruption...
    It looks like it's been cobbled together.. Belleau was the great white hope in the autumn, now it's Jalibert..
    It'll be interesting for sure...

Machenaud on kicking duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

When Isabelle is on the sideline, look what happens.

Thankfully she doesn't work for France Télevisions. The Irish team could never survive in that atmosphere!
    I don't think the Irish will, though, because she is the one who works for France Télevisions. :D
    clementine-sarlat.jpghttp://img.voi.pmdstatic.net/fit/http.3A.2F.2Fprd2-bone-image.2Es3-website-eu-west-1.2Eamazonaws.2Ecom.2Fprismamedia_people.2F2017.2F08.2F09.2Faa90d3ce-2c7e-4691-b6df-622c79ce0e17.2Ejpeg/380x285/quality/80/clementine-sarlat.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Probably Irish team according to RTE's rugby guy:

IRELAND (probable) v France: R Kearney; K Earls, R Henshaw, B Aki, J Stockdale; J Sexton, C Murray; C Healy, R Best (capt), T Furlong; James Ryan, I Henderson; P O’Mahony, J van der Flier, CJ Stander.

Replacements: S Cronin, J McGrath, John Ryan, D Toner, D Leavy, K Marmion, J Carbery, F McFadden.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/0201/937562-ireland-team-to-play-france-in-six-nations/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭crossman47

prawnsambo wrote: »

Suits Joe doesn't it. Always prefers solid over flair as we have seen with Zebo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Isabelle Ithurburu
    crossman47 wrote: »
    Suits Joe doesn't it. Always prefers solid over flair as we have seen with Zebo.

And there it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Isabelle Ithurburu
    So we're taking it as a given that James Ryan starts then? I'm fine with that other than Dillane might be more spritely off the bench than Toner.

Only other notable thing from RTE's team there is Marmion ahead of McGrath...much of a muchness for me.

Ireland by 11+.
    Could be 6-6 at half-time though. I'm expecting a bit of a slugfest for the first 50 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Isabelle Ithurburu
    aloooof wrote: »
    And there it is.

Suprised how long it took.

To be fair. The headcases wont properly come out of the woodwork until the team is actually announced

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Suprised how long it took.

To be fair. The headcases wont properly come out of the woodwork until the team is actually announced

When is it announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Stheno wrote: »
    When is it announced?

13.45. So 2pm. But that's probably changed in the time it took me to type this message

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Isabelle Ithurburu
    Burkie1203 wrote: »
    13.45. So 2pm. But that's probably changed in the time it took me to type this message

****e. I heard 1pm and have been sitting here like an eejit refreshing my feed.

Time to get a sandwich

Paul K*mmage
    allegedly its live on
    www.facebook.com/irishrugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Paul K*mmage
    Is the announcement at IRFU Lunchtime again? :mad:

Paul K*mmage
    Is the announcement at IRFU Lunchtime again? :mad:

Yes, from IRFU Twiiter "The Ireland team will be announced at lunchtime today. You can watch the press conference live on http://facebook.com/irishrugby #TeamOfUs #ShoulderToShoulder"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Anywhere to watch it other than Facebook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭irelandrover

crossman47 wrote: »

This comment makes absolutely no sense.

Joe puts Conway on the bench ahead of Ferg. Conway gets injured, Ferg gets called up. And you claim that Joe wanted Ferg on the bench all along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Paul K*mmage
    Outrage_logo_red.gif

Paul K*mmage
    From RTE
    "Joe Schmidt will name his Ireland team for their opening game of the NatWest Six Nations against France in Paris on Saturday this lunchtime (1.15pm)."

Paul K*mmage
    its up, as predicted, Ryan and Hendo to start.

Carberry, L McGrath, leavy and McFadden on bench

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Isabelle Ithurburu
    Team is out

McGrath ahead of Marmion

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement