Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Green Diesel for boat heater near Athlone

• 29-01-2018 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Just wondering, where is the best place to get "Green" Diesel near Athlone? I am looking for a place where I can fill 25L drum. I believe that cheaper diesel can be legally used for heating the boat with Eberspacher etc..again,please correct me if I am wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

No idea about Athlone. I'd have an issue with refueling with barrels. No matter how clean they are, they will have suffered from condensation when empty and you run the risk of introducing the dreaded diesel bug to your tank.

Some fuel companies will deliver to the boat in my area. They have a narrower nozzle to fit and minimum delivery is 200L.

Europe decided that Ireland could no longer allow green diesel to be used for pleasure purposes. That we had being getting away with it for too long. On 1st Nov 2009 it became official

However it was decided that we still could use green diesel (lack of white diesel suppliers at ports/ marinas, older engines/grandfather rule ect) as long as a declaration and payment was furnished to the revenue by March 1st the following year.

Payment is about 40c per liter used. It changes year to year.

When it first came about I too heard about not having to pay the 40c on fuel used for electricity and heating. I checked with the revenue and they said no, pleasure use is pleasure use.

However you can make an allowance for non movement.

"An allowance may be made for any marked gas oil used while a craft has remained stationary for a period of at least 30 consecutive days, and the amount of tax returned may be adjusted accordingly. "

Can't get my head around it myself, but it's their rule. And if you knock 10/20% off your return it would amount to the same thing.

Sorry I'm a re reg (there goes the new years resolution) and cant post links, AFAIK. But if you google: Excise duty - payment of mineral oil tax on heavy oil (diesel) used for Private Pleasure Navigation, it should throw something up.

In saying all this, the person I spoke to in Revenue said at the time about 6 returns cross their (regional) desk per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Buffalosoldier

After spending some time on researching this topic, I also came to the conclusion that it will be just easier and less hassle to use normal diesel...especially that savings could be marginal if any.

Advertisement