Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Mesh Network Device(s)

• 29-01-2018 4:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭

I've a relative that's having issues with network coverage in their house and I'm thinking a mesh network might help. They aren't very tech savvy so I'm looking for something that'll "just work" as much as possible. I'm not there very often either, so quick setup would also be good.

Would Ubiquiti devices be the way to go? If so, would the Amplifi range be better than the more business focused devices? A don't mind a slight premium in purchase price if it's more home-user friendly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

Ubiquiti kit is pretty good and really easy to setup and configure. I used to have wireless coverage issues in my own house until I installed 3 APs. I setup a PC with UniFi Controller to manage everything, you can go with a cloud key to do the same thing and plug it into a suitable POE switch.

I used a Ubiquiti switch for POE to power the APs and run all the cat5 back to a central point, not sure if this is an option for you in terms of the cabling? The UniFi Controller is hooked up to their free cloud service which allows me to manage the network remotely which is pretty nice. I have recently added a USG into the mix as it adds some additional functionality to the UniFi Controller and offers better management compared to the ISP supplied kit.

Honestly you can spend alot of money on Wi-Fi extenders and the like and your mileage may vary in terms of reliability and performance. I'm very happy with the Ubiquiti gear, its reliable, easy to setup and later on easy to manage too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Dr_Bill wrote: »
    Ubiquiti kit is pretty good and really easy to setup and configure. I used to have wireless coverage issues in my own house until I installed 3 APs. I setup a PC with UniFi Controller to manage everything, you can go with a cloud key to do the same thing and plug it into a suitable POE switch.

I used a Ubiquiti switch for POE to power the APs and run all the cat5 back to a central point, not sure if this is an option for you in terms of the cabling? The UniFi Controller is hooked up to their free cloud service which allows me to manage the network remotely which is pretty nice. I have recently added a USG into the mix as it adds some additional functionality to the UniFi Controller and offers better management compared to the ISP supplied kit.

Honestly you can spend alot of money on Wi-Fi extenders and the like and your mileage may vary in terms of reliability and performance. I'm very happy with the Ubiquiti gear, its reliable, easy to setup and later on easy to manage too.

Cheers for that. It sounds like I'm on the right track with their gear.

Cabling doesn't seem to be an option. I suggested moving the main router before but it never went anywhere. One of the main issues is that their modem/router is located in a corner of the house that is furthest away from the living areas. They've already spent a lot of money on extenders, etc. so I'm hoping to prevent that from happening again. Requirements are basically just network access around the house, so with this they should just be able to add new mesh points if needed.

Most talk seems to be about their enterprise stuff instead of their consumer stuff. Has anyone gone for the Amplifi product range? I'm finding it hard to find feedback on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Dr_Bill

xckjoo wrote: »
    Most talk seems to be about their enterprise stuff instead of their consumer stuff. Has anyone gone for the Amplifi product range? I'm finding it hard to find feedback on it.

I haven't used their AmpliFi gear at all so I can't comment on it. If its an old house the walls are solid & probably very thick and like a bunker in terms of Wi-Fi and trying to push signal about, in situations like that your gonna struggle & setting up AP's and cabling them back might be your best option.

2.4Ghz will give you more range but there could be a lot of interference so moving over to 5Ghz might work better at your site, you'd need to test it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Careful. Mesh doesn't work unless you dedicate a single band to backhaul. Repeating a wireless signal halves the throughput. You're always best to run a few cables and use access points on staggered channels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Have a look at the Netgear Orbi range. It uses a dedicated backhaul signal and is generally well reviewed. Many reviewers place it above the Amplify range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Careful. Mesh doesn't work unless you dedicate a single band to backhaul. Repeating a wireless signal halves the throughput. You're always best to run a few cables and use access points on staggered channels

The newer stuff is going triband so you've dual infra - client + dedicated infra - infra. Problem is it'll become an arms race for spectrum in urban areas soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

From the reviews I've read, Orbi gives better throughput but the Amplify HD gives better range. However, there is also many threads indicating the Orbi is having problems holding a connection with it's satellites but not sure if this is related to a particular version of firmware. Would love to hear if any actual users of Orbi or Amplify and get their comments. I'm also considering to update my old Apple Airport Extreme network to a more modern Mesh Wifi configuration.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

OP - def no way you can run a cable from the router to the other side of the house or even half way? Attic or behind skirting board?

Dr_Bill wrote: »

And now....Sorry for the thread hijack. Dr. B. Just received my large order of ubiquiti gear. Have USG, POE Switch, Controller and some AP (In wall and WAP) I'll be bridging from a VM modem to it and everything wired with cat 6.
    Any issues to look out for. Just have to terminate a few cables and then test them.

I'm in no huge hurry to do this would rather take my time over a week or two and get it right at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

lordgoat wrote: »
    OP - def no way you can run a cable from the router to the other side of the house or even half way? Attic or behind skirting board?

I've been suggesting that, but so far no interest. This flairs up occasionally but they never seem to get it resolved :D

And now....Sorry for the thread hijack. Dr. B. Just received my large order of ubiquiti gear. Have USG, POE Switch, Controller and some AP (In wall and WAP) I'll be bridging from a VM modem to it and everything wired with cat 6.
    Any issues to look out for. Just have to terminate a few cables and then test them.

I'm in no huge hurry to do this would rather take my time over a week or two and get it right at the start.

No worries about thread hijacking. The more discussion here, the more info I'll have for the next time I'm asked about the original question :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

I would say google wifi from the review and ease of setup i work in the IT sector and have installed ubiquiti before which is fantastic minus the cabling, for a Wireless mesh i would recommend for the easy setup and management and the ease at which you can add another device in it's just a few small steps.

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    I've been suggesting that, but so far no interest. This flairs up occasionally but they never seem to get it resolved :D

No worries about thread hijacking. The more discussion here, the more info I'll have for the next time I'm asked about the original question :)

Could you have a sneaky look and see if a cable would be easy enough to run?!
    I would say google wifi from the review and ease of setup i work in the IT sector and have installed ubiquiti before which is fantastic minus the cabling, for a Wireless mesh i would recommend for the easy setup and management and the ease at which you can add another device in it's just a few small steps.

B-man...
    If you had and comments on this, i'd be glad to hear them. All I really have to connect to it is a synology NAS and some sonos 3.

Just received my large order of ubiquiti gear. Have USG, POE Switch, Controller and some AP (In wall and WAP) I'll be bridging from a VM modem to it and everything wired with cat 6.

Any issues I should watch out for?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

lordgoat wrote: »
    Could you have a sneaky look and see if a cable would be easy enough to run?!

B-man...
    If you had and comments on this, i'd be glad to hear them. All I really have to connect to it is a synology NAS and some sonos 3.

Just received my large order of ubiquiti gear. Have USG, POE Switch, Controller and some AP (In wall and WAP) I'll be bridging from a VM modem to it and everything wired with cat 6.

Any issues I should watch out for?

I would scratch the google WiFi you seem to have all the kit for the Ubiquiti setup, my concern for most people would be running Cat cables which most users will be put off doing so in that case Google Wi-Fi is one of the better options for easy setup and features minus all the wires.

Get used to the unifi gateway start with one AP once you have the hang of it very easy to adopt and rollout your config to all devices, if you are using a non Ubiquiti poe switch make sure it has the right poe standard Ubiquiti use non stand on some of there devices.

Let us know how you get on i have never used any of the in wall ap's before interesting to see how it works out.

I would scratch the google WiFi you seem to have all the kit for the Ubiquiti setup, my concern for most people would be running Cat cables which most users will be put off doing so in that case Google Wi-Fi is one of the better options for easy setup and features minus all the wires.

Get used to the unifi gateway start with one AP once you have the hang of it very easy to adopt and rollout your config to all devices, if you are using a non Ubiquiti poe switch make sure it has the right poe standard Ubiquiti use non stand on some of there devices.

Let us know how you get on i have never used any of the in wall ap's before interesting to see how it works out.

Ya running the cable was a bit of a task but it is hopefully a one time job. I was lucky that I have a bungalow so that helped alot. Unifi switch too. I'm hoping the expense will mean everything 'just works' and i have little to no hassle down the line.

In-wall are for the 2 ends of the house with a WAP in the centre. Will let you know.

Advertisement