Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query regarding my rights to stay in our home

• 29-01-2018 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My wife of 19yrs has decided that she no longer loves me and wants to separate. There is no underlying reason other than she wants out of our marriage and i dont. Been through counselling but she hasnt changed her mind if anything it has made her more determined. She is very unclear as to what it is she wants but she does not want me thats for sure. We have two girls 18 and 15 ( college and junior cert ). We are living at home but is is a miserable existance she leaves when i come in etc and still sharing our bedroom to sleep as we dont have a spare. I know I need to see a solicitor at this stage and have a couple of recommendations so will pursue that. So to my question our home mortgage paid is in both our names I have been told not to leave by family etc if i give no grounds can i ultimately be forced out .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

I am sorry for your trouble But you need to lawyer up. Only your solicitor can tell you where you stand. Do not do anything (including moving out) until you see the solicitor and take their advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I'd second the advice from MissShihTzu above and also tell you that a lot of cases end with the house having to be sold when the last child reaches 18(23 if said child goes to college). So either you buy her out, she buys you out or ye sell and split the money if any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LWTX

Sorry to hear this. I'm in a similar situation. Ultimately I think you should do what is best for your and your children's mental health and emotional well-being. Since you have been to counselling together maybe your next step could be to go to mediation together. "One Family" do very good work in this area. Lawyering up or staying when the atmosphere is hell comes at a very high price for everyone involved.

Advertisement