Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord complaint to homeowner.

Options
  • 29-01-2018 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

So today I received a complaint from the neighbours next door through their landlord. We've had fairly substantial issues with both these neighbours and their landlord in recent times. This complaint is pretty farcical too.

Can anybody tell me if a landlord has any authority or obligation to deal with complaints made by their tennants towards neighbours in a privately owned house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Donutz wrote: »
    So today I received a complaint from the neighbours next door through their landlord. We've had fairly substantial issues with both these neighbours and their landlord in recent times. This complaint is pretty farcical too.

Can anybody tell me if a landlord has any authority or obligation to deal with complaints made by their tennants towards neighbours in a privately owned house?

Can you elaborate more. Why are they complaining etc. If it was me I’d tell them to f**k off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

If the complaint isn't from your landlord I wouldn't take any notice of it.. Is it a noise complaint ??

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

Can you elaborate more. Why are they complaining etc. If it was me I’d tell them to f**k off.

I've installed CCTV (which these neighbours also have) and they have claimed to the landlord that I am pretty much spying on them. Offered to send him a screen grab of the cameras but he declined.
    hawkelady wrote:
    If the complaint isn't from your landlord I wouldn't take any notice of it.. Is it a noise complaint ??

The complaint is from the tennants next door. They complained to their landlord about us. We are homeowners so don't have a landlord.

If that's the case id tell them to f off,,,,,,,,,

By the way, did the landlord call into you or write a letter?? Love to know what it said?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Donutz wrote:
    I've installed CCTV (which these neighbours also have) and they have claimed to the landlord that I am pretty much spying on them. Offered to send him a screen grab of the cameras but he declined.

What is it that they are expecting? Just reply that you aren't spying on anyone. Leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Tell them to get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You put in a complaint to RTB and also send registered letter to their LL if known. If not known you can put in a request with RTB.

If the CCTV does encroach on the next door property you can be made move it so it doesn't..

I understand this may not be the case.

What's their complaint??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Surely you've no obligation to even reply?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭EmmaH1997

Like one of the people above I'd be inclined to tell them to feck off with that bs. But --- since you offered the screen grab of what the cameras are showing and the LL rejected it, what else can happen ? You offered to sort out their silly and hypocritical "fear" and that word is a stretch. You should be petty and say they're spying on you lol. either way the LL can deal with these pains. What more can you even do from here? Its not like anyone can kick you out of the house you own

• Advertisement

hawkelady wrote:
    If that's the case id tell them to f off,,,,,,,,,

We've only just had an RTB hearing against this landlord for not dealing with complaints we've made to him. In that hearing he made an agreement in writing to deal with all complaints we make in writing within certain timeframes. Think he was scared the RTB were gonna throw the book at him. Seriously considering backing out of the agreement and sending it to tribunal now.
    hawkelady wrote:
    By the way, did the landlord call into you or write a letter?? Love to know what it said?

He sent a text, so I rang and explained that he was welcome to view a screen grab off CCTV. He didn't accept this so I felt to cover my own arse I'd get the Gardai to look at my CCTV which they did and logged on the pulse system that there was no issue.

I am annoyed at the landlord though that he thinks it's his business to investigate a complaint by his tennant towards me. I would have thought if the tennant had an issue, it would be the Gardai that they make a complaint to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭bmc58

What is the complaint against you ?A little more info would help.

Best thing you can do is give a big wave and smile at your neighbours every-time you see them and that goes for the landlord too. It'll drive them nuts.

Although they sound nuts already

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

We've only just had an RTB hearing against this landlord for not dealing with complaints we've made to him. In that hearing he made an agreement in writing to deal with all complaints we make in writing within certain timeframes. Think he was scared the RTB were gonna throw the book at him. Seriously considering backing out of the agreement and sending it to tribunal now.

He sent a text, so I rang and explained that he was welcome to view a screen grab off CCTV. He didn't accept this so I felt to cover my own arse I'd get the Gardai to look at my CCTV which they did and logged on the pulse system that there was no issue.

I am annoyed at the landlord though that he thinks it's his business to investigate a complaint by his tennant towards me. I would have thought if the tennant had an issue, it would be the Gardai that they make a complaint to.

He is actually doing the right thing as he has to cover himself and has onus on him to protect his property and tenants if they are being wronged.

Not saying they are as it sounds something is not right and they have a big issue with you.

Can you go into more detail about all issues and how they arise?
    Have you turned it around and asked to see their footage and that it is encroachment of your private property and personal space.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The complaint is from the tennants next door. They complained to their landlord about us. We are homeowners so don't have a landlord.

There is a specific exemption in the Data Protection Act for use of CCTV in a domestic setting- which includes the cctv that both the OP and their neighbours have. The impending GDPR- is a different kettle of fish (it comes in on the 25th of May)- however, as it stands- the OP legally is perfectly entitled to run a domestic cctv in the context which has been described.

He is actually doing the right thing as he has to cover himself and has onus on him to protect his property and tenants if they are being wronged.

I would argue that if the tennants have a problem, they should make a complaint to the Gardai. The landlord doesn't have any authority over us.
    Not saying they are as it sounds something is not right and they have a big issue with you.
    We had an issue with them regarding anti social behaviour and felt our complaints weren't taken seriously. Therefore the RTB hearing and the landlords promise to act accordingly with our complaints. Now we think they are making an issue of this just to hassle us.
    Can you go into more detail about all issues and how they arise? Have you turned it around and asked to see their footage and that it is encroachment of your private property and personal space.

Fighting, kids throwing stones at our windows, running around our property in between our cars, damaging our property. Not bothered about their footage as I dont really care weather he is watching us or not (I don't think he is)

There is a specific exemption in the Data Protection Act for use of CCTV in a domestic setting- which includes the cctv that both the OP and their neighbours have. The impending GDPR- is a different kettle of fish (it comes in on the 25th of May)- however, as it stands- the OP legally is perfectly entitled to run a domestic cctv in the context which has been described.

So am I right in saying that their landlord has no business with contacting me over this.

So am I right in saying that their landlord has no business with contacting me over this.

100% tell him to take a hike

Neighbours can always raise issues with one another- you don't have to hit each other the head with whats legal and whats not. Lots of people don't like being on CCTV systems- which in my mind is completely understandable. I'd suggest talking to the owner and coming to a mutually agreeable compromise. If they're not willing to compromise- in that case- ensure that what you are doing is 100% legal.

hawkelady wrote:
    100% tell him to take a hike

I actually rang him and told him that it wasn't his concern. He is adamant that it is and is gonna speak to his solicitor tomorrow to clarify this.

I'm annoyed with him that I've spent half the day on the phone to him and responding to his texts and diving down to the Garda station when all that was needed was for him to accept a screen grab of my phone. But according to him he is not "legally minded" so couldn't make a determination on weather the cameras broke some sort of privacy law or not.

I'd love to tell him to take a hike but I want to keep the relationship with him as pleasant as possible because it has been very strained with him over the last few months and it took an RTB hearing to remedy it.

• Advertisement

I actually rang him and told him that it wasn't his concern. He is adamant that it is and is gonna speak to his solicitor tomorrow to clarify this.

I'm annoyed with him that I've spent half the day on the phone to him and responding to his texts and diving down to the Garda station when all that was needed was for him to accept a screen grab of my phone. But according to him he is not "legally minded" so couldn't make a determination on weather the cameras broke some sort of privacy law or not.

I'd love to tell him to take a hike but I want to keep the relationship with him as pleasant as possible because it has been very strained with him over the last few months and it took an RTB hearing to remedy it.

Google data protection act ireland- and then 'cctv domestic exemption'.
    If the guy wants to spend money on a solicitor- let him.

Neighbours can always raise issues with one another- you don't have to hit each other the head with whats legal and whats not. Lots of people don't like being on CCTV systems- which in my mind is completely understandable. I'd suggest talking to the owner and coming to a mutually agreeable compromise. If they're not willing to compromise- in that case- ensure that what you are doing is 100% legal.

I have shown the footage to the Gardai and the have logged on the pulse system that there is no issue.

Most of my annoyance is that the tennant is using the landlord to make a complaint when in fact if they had a real concern I would have imagined it would be a matter for the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭virgo69

The LL may have told the tenants to come to him with any problems especially if he is trying to keep to the RTB agreement. Would you approach the tenants or the LL if you had a problem?

virgo69 wrote:
    The LL may have told the tenants to come to him with any problems especially if he is trying to keep to the RTB agreement. Would you approach the tenants or the LL if you had a problem?

I just don't see how the landlord has any power to resolve the issue. Surely a complaint to the Gardai would have been more appropriate if the tennant had felt there was a real issue.

I get the feeling that the tennant is using the landlord to harrass and annoy us.

As I said, the LL probably told them that he has an agreement and that he should be their first port of call. Honestly, would you rather him or them approaching you? At least this way there can be no "he said, she said".

Can you ask the LL to communicate by email only?

Or just don't entertain the LL at all. Ignore him completely

hawkelady wrote: »
    Or just don't entertain the LL at all. Ignore him completely

Yeah but it might be beneficial to keep communication lines open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Unless you are thinking of renting your house out in the future or doing something that requires planning or change of use where neighbouring owners might throw a spanner in the works with vexatious objections or complaints, I do not see you have anything to worry about.

You own your house.
    You live in your house.
    The landlord of next door has no power over you.

In the best tradition of Bob Geldof you have earned the right to tell him to phuque awf.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Google data protection act ireland- and then 'cctv domestic exemption'.
    If the guy wants to spend money on a solicitor- let him.

Where does it say that you can record other people's or public property?

Domestic use of CCTV systems.
    The processing of personal data kept by an individual and concerned solely with the management of his/her personal, family or household affairs or kept by an individual for recreational purposes is exempt from the provisions of the Acts. This exemption would generally apply to the use of CCTVs in a domestic environment. However, the exemption may not apply if the occupant works from home. [ Where the exemption does apply, a person who objects to the use of a CCTV system - for example, a neighbour who objects to images of her/his property being recorded - may be able to take a civil legal action based on the Constitutional and Common Law right to privacy.] It should be noted that recording of a public space, even partially, or when recording is directed outwards from the private setting, it may not be regarded as a ‘personal or household’ activity for the purposes of the Data Protection Acts, and this may have immediate and particular interest to drone operators and data controllers.

https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Data-Protection-CCTV/m/242.htm

Advertisement