Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coupone site

Options
  • 29-01-2018 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Anybody using in Ireland groupon.ie or some others coupone sites ? Because i have idea to launch new irish website with all deals. Is this worth idea to start business?)

As well i am looking for partner for this business, text me if you have interesting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Vladio wrote: »
    Anybody using in Ireland groupon.ie or some others coupone sites ? Because i have idea to launch new irish website with all deals. Is this worth idea to start business?)

As well i am looking for partner for this business, text me if you have interesting)

Your five years too late

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Vladio

Bandara wrote: »
    Your five years too late

yeah, maybe something like groupon not worth, but something like retailmenot.com worth, because everybody looking for shop's coupons....Nearly 90% of their traffic from Google, but it's native traffic, no PPC.....So here important to make good SEO campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There are several already so unless you're able to do something "different" you're just another site in a fairly crowded market

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

dont waste your time

Buttercake wrote: »
    dont waste your time

So in what you think it's good to invest my time?)

I want to go in other way than all coupones sites. I want to create extension for browsers. And it's better, because you don't need every time seeking coupons for your shopping. You just click to install, and every time that you browsing for shopping....a little pop up window come out to let you know, that your coupon already waiting for you, just click --- apply coupon. That's it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We don’t have a very large coupon culture here in Ireland (unlike the US). Retailers & manufacturers just don’t offer them to the same degree. You could build all the extensions & websites that you want, but you’ll need to populate it with offers & coupons.

dudara wrote: »
    We don’t have a very large coupon culture here in Ireland (unlike the US). Retailers & manufacturers just don’t offer them to the same degree. You could build all the extensions & websites that you want, but you’ll need to populate it with offers & coupons.

You have right, i already thought about it and decided to start my promotion campaign for US market. They are crazy about that coupons.

Actually it's my problem, my minds changing thousands time per day....sometimes i afraid to explore new ideas and thought, because i can leave project that i started, and start new one.

About populate coupons --- yep, it's a big task, but i will try, you need register to affiliate programs, like Cj.com or Rakuten affiliate......)))

• Registered Users Posts: 43 eliterank

dont waste your time

I want to go in other way than all coupones sites. I want to create extension for browsers. And it's better, because you don't need every time seeking coupons for your shopping. You just click to install, and every time that you browsing for shopping....a little pop up window  come out to let you know, that your coupon already waiting for you, just click --- apply coupon. That's it)
    That's what the Honey chrome extension does. The US is too competitive, I would explore the UK market instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You have right, i already thought about it and decided to start my promotion campaign for US market. They are crazy about that coupons.......)))

I hope you have millions available to you, and I mean millions to get any sort of traction. It's a saturated market and I believe some of the major players are in financial difficulty (http://fortune.com/2015/03/20/groupon-success/)

Forums, groups, you name it, they all exist to find and use coupons. Google 'extreme couponing' and you'll get a flavour.

What you have described is Honey, and it has many other competitors. I've tried it, doesn't work 9/10 and many users share the same experience.

Honestly, you are wasting your time and I'm always for taking an idea to completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭andywozhere

There used to be quite a few Irish coupon sites, but many have now closed up shop. Pigsback bought up quite a few of the remaining independent Irish daily deal sites towards the end of last year. I've been running a daily deals aggregator for the last three years, but there are a lot fewer sites to aggregate now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Digital_Guy

This would literally be one of the last online businesses I would try to start! Honey doesn't work most of the time and unless you're up top of Google for a search on 'coupon + brand name', then I don't see how you'd have a chance.

You say you have loads of ideas anyway, so focus on another one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

There used to be quite a few Irish coupon sites, but many have now closed up shop. Pigsback bought up quite a few of the remaining independent Irish daily deal sites towards the end of last year. I've been running a daily deals aggregator for the last three years, but there are a lot fewer sites to aggregate now!

Is it this one? Mydealpage.ie

It's very good if so!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I want to go in other way than all coupones sites. I want to create extension for browsers. And it's better, because you don't need every time seeking coupons for your shopping. You just click to install, and every time that you browsing for shopping....a little pop up window come out to let you know, that your coupon already waiting for you, just click --- apply coupon. That's it)

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/invisiblehand/lghjfnfolmcikomdjmoiemllfnlmmoko?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭andywozhere

Is it this one? Mydealpage.ie

It's very good if so!

Nope dealy.ie
    endacl wrote: »

Only seems to cover UK and USA... although it would hardly be worthwhile making a extension just for Ireland. Probably not the best use of the OP's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Best of luck

Best of luck

I not was been here a few weeks, so much replies :)

Thanks, again i changed my mind:( this time i am doind deals website, i didn't expect that create this extension not so easy.....So i decided daily deals website
    here that site which i am building now --- makemedeals.com ....... Hope that my mind will stop on this idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

I not was been here a few weeks, so much replies :)

Thanks, again i changed my mind:( this time i am doind deals website, i didn't expect that create this extension not so easy.....So i decided daily deals website
    here that site which i am building now --- makemedeals.com ....... Hope that my mind will stop on this idea :)

The website design and functionality is the easy part, especially with WP and a template :(

davindub wrote: »
    The website design and functionality is the easy part, especially with WP and a template :(

SimilarWeb
    SlickDeals.net 69.4 M
    BestDeals.today 25.73 M
    DealNews.com 15.8 M
    BradsDeals.com 9.6 M
    TechBargains.com 5.6 M
    Dealsea.com 5.6 M
    1sale.com 4.17 M
    DealsPlus.com 1.7 M
    DealCatcher.com 1.5 M
    EDealInfo.com 898.8 K
    Dealzon.com 839.84 K
    Deals2buy.com 737.9 K
    HotDeals.com 682 K
    GottaDeal.com 646.34 K
    BuyVia.com 142.77 K

This is my list of TOP 15 deals website in US according their traffic from SimilarWeb.....If you make a quick look, you will see, only a few sites have good design. So this is in my opinion one of the important thing that i need to do.

How will you get traffic to the site? :)

SimilarWeb
    SlickDeals.net 69.4 M
    BestDeals.today 25.73 M
    DealNews.com 15.8 M
    BradsDeals.com 9.6 M
    TechBargains.com 5.6 M
    Dealsea.com 5.6 M
    1sale.com 4.17 M
    DealsPlus.com 1.7 M
    DealCatcher.com 1.5 M
    EDealInfo.com 898.8 K
    Dealzon.com 839.84 K
    Deals2buy.com 737.9 K
    HotDeals.com 682 K
    GottaDeal.com 646.34 K
    BuyVia.com 142.77 K

This is my list of TOP 15 deals website in US according their traffic from SimilarWeb.....If you make a quick look, you will see, only a few sites have good design. So this is in my opinion one of the important thing that i need to do.

You are missing the point. Purchasing a stock template and entering the data is easy compared to scaling efficiently, Maintaining servers, seo and obviously getting both content and users to the site. Having a pretty website didn't seem to be a hindrance to to sites you listed.

But look have fun, but start by learning all you need to know about running a website. Already you are talking about the US, if your server is eu based = slow download times so you need to deal with that. Also even with a decent virtual server, wp will deteriorate with 50 to 400 (extreme caching of dynamic content) concurrent users.

• Advertisement

You are missing the point. Purchasing a stock template and entering the data is easy compared to scaling efficiently, Maintaining servers, seo and obviously getting both content and users to the site. Having a pretty website didn't seem to be a hindrance to to sites you listed.

But look have fun, but start by learning all you need to know about running a website. Already you are talking about the US, if your server is eu based = slow download times so you need to deal with that. Also even with a decent virtual server, wp will deteriorate with 50 to 400 (extreme caching of dynamic content) concurrent users.

50 concurrent users may never happen or could be a few years off, unless he uses paid traffic - which is very unlikely to be profitable. It sounds like he really wanted to build this which is great, but not sure where he goes from here if he wants to try and turn it into a business.

I always have ideas but now I do try to ask who will want this, who is my target market, and how will I get it in front of them.

50 concurrent users may never happen or could be a few years off, unless he uses paid traffic - which is very unlikely to be profitable. It sounds like he really wanted to build this which is great, but not sure where he goes from here if he wants to try and turn it into a business.

I always have ideas but now I do try to ask who will want this, who is my target market, and how will I get it in front of them.

Facebook, Reddit.... i want get paid traffic.....you can't get free traffic on start, but it's not so hard actually. I don't have mind to be first on that market, but in the TOP 10-5 i will get.

my WP site based in US servers (GoDaddy), but then i want transfer to AWS. If other deals sites still alives, so why i can't ??)) of course i can beat them all (no)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If other deals sites still alives, so why i can't ??)) of course i can beat them all (no)

Established market and boatloads of cash. For example, WeedMaps makes $500k per month just for advertising dispensaries in the US and Canada. They started ahead of the curve and grew into the market. The market you are trying to enter is saturated so unless you are disrupting or doing something radically different, you have no unique selling point and no differentiation.

Also, with respect to people that use these sites, you're talking about non-loyal customers. People hunting a bargain and a discount. Those are fickle customers and very hard to bolster any sort of loyalty. Will you make enough money to break even? I'm sure you will. Will you leave your day job? I highly doubt it but I'd be the first to buy you a beer if you did. Remember, you need to deliver the goods every day of the year, non-stop. And that means pounding the virtual pavement for hours each day for cents on the dollar. You'd be better off finding a niche for deals and leveraging that instead, instead of spreading yourself thin on 'everything'.

Obviously on a scale, 1-?? concurrent users depending on your server configuration and content being delivered, I have tested servers with wp & 4 concurrent users = timeout. Some shared servers can have 100's of sites on them and no limits on shared resources, so 1 site can bring down the rest.  
    Put it like this, the server is currently using is not optimized, here is the pagespeed insights which are rumored to be part of pagerank page insights

The server response time is poor, the images served are too big for the screensizes, the images are bloated with metadata, there is JS and CSS in the head beyond what is needed to serve the initial view (what the user sees first), this means all the JS / CSS loads before continuing. Load testing, 2 users was unacceptable load time, 10 was service unavailable for some users, load time of over 10s, etc. 

Also godaddy still uses php5.6, 7.0 should be the minimum, it vastly improves performance. 
    But OP as I said, have fun learning all this, its a great thing to learn, but don't spend a lot of time/ money on content just yet, its better to learn this stuff first, you will shorten your learning curve by preparing in advance for things you will definitely need to prepare for and very few people get it right first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Right. So someone tell me why I can’t go onto one of these deal websites and upload my own deal, at a low margin to the deal site, who doesn’t need to go through a load of bull****, and saves me the said bull****?

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Right. So someone tell me why I can’t go onto one of these deal websites and upload my own deal, at a low margin to the deal site, who doesn’t need to go through a load of bull****, and saves me the said bull****?

Business model (not low margin) and scam prevention. Biggest issue for deals companies are verifying who exactly is providing deals, Groupon etc, you must verify the company, a rep will call, etc.

It sounds like you really don't want all the benefits the rep is going to tell you about :)

Advertisement