Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat mate left without paying bills

Options
  • 29-01-2018 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

A flatmate recently left without paying any of their bills. They are all in my name and when I texted them to retrieve the money they won't respond.

Is there a way of getting this back???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

His deposit.

Did they get their deposit back yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Theprodigy11

The deposit was with the landlord and he said it is not his concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

So the LL is giving the deposit back to the flatmate?

They already have returned the deposit the private resident tenancy board said that is the right thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

So the LL is giving the deposit back to the flatmate?

The bills are in the OP's name, so it's nothing to do with the landlord and the deposit he's holding for the other person.

Sucks to get caught like that, but live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

Very little you can do. Everything is in your name, you signed contracts with the providers stating the YOU would have bills paid by a certain date each month.

You can call the utility providers and explain what happened and they might give you an extra few weeks to pay the bill.

If it is the case you are going to be late paying I would suggest cancelling any Direct debits as an extra 15 Quid in bank fees is the last thing you need

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They already have returned the deposit the private resident tenancy board said that is the right thing to do.
    Perhaps look into moving, as if the landlord is like this now, they'll always be like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

the_syco wrote: »
    Perhaps look into moving, as if the landlord is like this now, they'll always be like this.

The landlord abides by te law and doesn’t get involved with disagreements between two people and you advise to move?

Would the small claims court entertain it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

The deposit was with the landlord and he said it is not his concern.

of course it is. did he give it back? if not, tell him to hold on to it until its paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Would the small claims court entertain it?

No. The SCC only deals with businesses.

The only option is to try to find the flatmate and convince him to pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

of course it is. did he give it back? if not, tell him to hold on to it until its paid.

Nope. When you rent a property the bills are your responsibility, not the landlord's unless.agreed otherwise.

The landlord was right not to get involved in a game of "he said, she said". Not his business...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

the_syco wrote: »

Yep. Who wants to pay rent to a landlord with a track record of returning security deposits unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

No. The SCC only deals with businesses.

The only option is to try to find the flatmate and convince him to pay up.

Really? I would have thought and or hoped we had a judge Judy level court to rule on such things

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Diceicle wrote: »
    Really? I would have thought and or hoped we had a judge Judy level court to rule on such things

We don’t live in Telly land ... unfortunately it’s a case of chalking it down to experience ... the bills are in your name .. your responsibility. A life lesson learned that there are many jerks out there and it’s up to you to choose who you trust wisely

Farmer Bob wrote: »
    Nope. When you rent a property the bills are your responsibility, not the landlord's unless.agreed otherwise.

The landlord was right not to get involved in a game of "he said, she said". Not his business...

every house iver ever rented, the landlord has always asked for proof bills are settled before giving back deposit.

what if everybody decided to leave and not pay, who would be left with it? yes, the landlord....as it would be him who would have the electricity or gas cut off.

im pretty sure he has already kept the deposit because of this and is just telling the OP its not his/her business.

every house iver ever rented, the landlord has always asked for proof bills are settled before giving back deposit.

what if everybody decided to leave and not pay, who would be left with it? yes, the landlord....as it would be him who would have the electricity or gas cut off.

im pretty sure he has already kept the deposit because of this and is just telling the OP its not his/her business.
    Not the landlords problem. The tenant named on the bills is still in situ.

He’s not their mammy.

endacl wrote: »
    Not the landlords problem. The tenant named on the bills is still in situ.

He’s not their mammy.

bulls*it. a proper land lord woudl protect the tenants remaining. but i believe he will keep the deposit and pocket it himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

Take it as a lesson learned. Nothing you can do now.

• Advertisement

bulls*it. a proper land lord woudl protect the tenants remaining. but i believe he will keep the deposit and pocket it himself.
    The landlord's interest is in the property. The tenant's problems are the tenant's problems. Any arrangements they made regarding their own private affairs have nothing to do with the landlord once the terms of the lease are adhered to.

Imagine a different , yet analogous scenario:

Tenant: Hi. Landlord? It's me. Tenant 1. We have a bit of an issue. Tenant 2 keeps using all my teabags and always leaves the toilet seat up. Would you mind...

Landlord: *click*

• Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

A flatmate recently left without paying any of their bills. They are all in my name and when I texted them to retrieve the money they won't respond.

Is there a way of getting this back???

Do you know any of their friends / family / employer? It’s a debt based on good faith for a presumably trivial amount (relatively speaking). If you have no way of shaming them into paying you will need to lie at the loss of it I’m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭AllForIt

We had a tenant who didn't give a full months notice. She decided to leave the day before it was her turn to pay the house cleaner which each of the tenants would have to do only once every 8 weeks in turns. Coincidence? Well regardless she left a few days before the months notice period. She refused to pay it when I challenged her about it so I told the landlord. The landlord came to the house to return her deposit and she told her she had to pay it otherwise... . So she paid it.

Advertisement