Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Mountmellick like today?

Options
  • 29-01-2018 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi,

So I know this topic has come up before but most recently there hasn't been much I am looking at buying a home in mountmellick Co.laois
    I am from Dublin and have lived in the liberties area for a year now, I am not really shy of a troubled area.
    Just wanted an honest upto date opinion on the area.

Including amenities, transportation and what are the locals like?

Thanks guy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I have no personal experience of living there but having worked there on occasion and after chats with work colleagues and clients, I cannot think of a single redeeming quality to it.
    I always get a sense of doom and gloom driving through it.
    I too lived in inner city Dublin for years but Mountmellick feels grey to be frank.

Nearest train station is Portlaoise or Portarlington, I'm unfamiliar with bus service.

Plenty of other lovely and accessible areas in Laois.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

i am from near there and i wouldn't live there, there is no train station and not alot to do in the town

plenty of other bigger towns in laois that you could move too, although all towns have there problems

i would suggest going down and driving around the area at different times of the day and week to get a feel for the place if you really want to move there

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

i am from near there and i wouldn't live there, there is no train station and not alot to do in the town

plenty of other bigger towns in laois that you could move too, although all towns have there problems

i would suggest going down and driving around the area at different times of the day and week to get a feel for the place if you really want to move there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Have to say that I thoroughly disagree with this. There are not plenty of bigger towns. There's one. Portlaoise. Which is only across the way if you need something but you're not stuck in estates down tiny roads that weren't made for that traffic.
    Portarlington? Bigger by population yes. But totally swamped by that population. Lots of estates built in poorly draining areas. Lots of disadvantages compared to Mountmellick; as far as I'm concerned. Yes it now has a Lidl and Aldi to service that population; but the original town is still poor. Mountmellick is like Clara, yes its grey in winter but its a really fine place to be in summer. Pop in to Tom & Vrons (Flanagans) or Moloneys or Turleys and then have a look at Supervalu, Watchornes, Glenside Clinic, Mick Reddins for fuel, Hinchs Mace petrol station (and solid fuel), Golden Grill (same as Portlaoise and ex magnos Ranelagh also. Top class). O'Gormans shop on the main street. Hanlons. Get a feel for the place. It is a town full of character and local services. If you want fast living, yes Portlaoise; but if you want less hassle and in my opinion a very safe town to live in (one or two headline disturbances a year) but safe homes and safe streets, then give it a look.

Portarlington train station is a 15 minute drive (tops) and plenty of parking. Some fine areas to Mountmellick. And its a VERY safe town at night. I mean compared to Portlaoise? Or Dublin? I mean come on...

I lived in Dublin for years, I lived in Tullamore and, while Mountmellick is rundown, its a very friendly and welcoming small town with lots going for it. If you want hustle and bustle, go for Portlaoise, if you want peace then go for Mountmellick, Abbeyleix or maybe Portarlington. But do google every estate that you're interested in. You'll be surprised what comes up.

Edit I'm a caraholic, but, once or twice, I've gotten the townLink bus to Portlaoise and, if you wanted a few pints on a Saturday afternoon etc in Portlaoise, its a real novelty and also very effective at a fiver each way. Similarly, when I worked in Tullamore, I checked out timetables and you COULD feasibly use it to go to work in Tullamore. e.g 830 (IIRC) or just before 10am arrival.

I have to say that I love it and its people and characters. If I was dead set on being out every night, I might prefer Portlaoise. But not Portarlington.

Advertisement