Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare Staff Bullying/Harassment of applicants

Options
  • 29-01-2018 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I wanted to bring this topic up because it has gone past the explanation that it is only coincidence.

We depend very much on the correct and fair processing of claims by social welfare staff, but when they are treating you unfairly, there really is nowhere to turn, especially when your only solution is to "Contact your local social welfare Officer".

I believe that this would be particularly upsetting for a person who was living alone or vulnerable.

I know that this is happening because for years now with the Main Social Welfare Office in my area, on the few occasions that I have queried a payment, a family member of mine would have their social welfare payment removed the following week with an incorrect explanation as to why. They would then have to explain why it was incorrect, go without a payment, and this would only be corrected weeks later if you are persistent.

Is this their way of bulling people into silence?

There is really nothing you can do about this but be at the mercy the staff who harassing you in this way.

It would be interesting to know if anyone else suffered at the hands of staff at their local office for:

*enquiring about a payment cancellation
    *correcting mistake made by a social welfare Officer
    *looking for an explanation were being underpaid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Always were polite, efficient and business like in my experience.

Always were polite, efficient and business like in my experience.

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Can't say I've ever experienced anything like that. For the most part anyone working for the DSP I've found to be alright. I've had a few bad eggs who were completely patronising and had an attitude where they thought they were superior, or others who simply weren't very good at their job, but nothing like bullying/harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Nice story ,not believing it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sdaord

Wish it wasn't true Gatling, mistreatment can happen anywhere

I've nothing to gain from lying about this
    Experience from one office, otherwise I have no problems with SW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

sdaord wrote: »
    Wish it wasn't true Gatling, mistreatment can happen anywhere

I've nothing to gain from lying about this
    Experience from one office, otherwise I have no problems with SW.

I knew of one little office staffed by two middle aged sisters who obviously never paid much attention at any of the training days they’d be sent on, who saw it as their duty to prevent people from getting any entitlements, but that was 20 years ago. Long since gone.
    My advice is to ask for an appointment to speak to a deciding officer, or even an inspector if you feel your payment is incorrect, but be prepared to find that your actually in an overpayment or maybe not entitled at all.
    It’s like looking for a tax rebate .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I worked for about 6 months in social welfare and honestly found it one of the nicest places to work where people actually wanted to make a difference and genuinely help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

sdaord wrote: »

Is this their way of bulling people into silence?

Hi Op

the staff in the social welfare dept are trained to be professional when dealing with claimants even difficult ones. so i don't think you could justifiably claim it is deliberate dept policy. (assuming that's what you mean by 'their'.)

however the people working there are just people, and like everyone you can get a bad egg or incompetent person in any walk of like. And like us all they may be having a bad day. So they can and do can make mistakes.

I just wouldn't attribute it to malicious intent on behalf of the dept.

PS there is a procedure for appealing decisions if you feel you didn't get a fair hearing, as was already mentioned.

Advertisement