Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you contribute financially to Irish football?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Dots1982 wrote: »
    the points raised here talking down a trust don’t really add up
    No, not really. The 'trust' is a fabrication, with no details behind it.
    well it existed only in my head
    Exactly. So the points raised are valid.

To be honest I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve. You don't support a team. You don't have a local team. You are a big supporter of the Irish national team, but don't contribute to it financially. You think the LOI isn't going to be popular and people aren't going to go to games...............

A trust to centralize fans money for capital projects? Without knowing who'll run it, what it's tasks are, if they would be an even spread of spending throughout Ireland.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

magma69 wrote: »
    I think total reform of the FAI is a better idea than independent charity. Our taxes and income from football here should be funding decent infrastructure. The salaries they're getting are ridiculous when you compare the jokeshop money going into the domestic leagues.

I think the FAI getting rid of Delaney, getting someone better for cheaper and reorganizing football so it’s properly structured is a complete pipe dream if I’m honest. That’s not going to happen in reality. Take Mike Ashley at Newcastle. Every newcastle fan hates him but they still renew their season tickets and Ashley is laughing into his sleeve.

A supporters trust disempowers the FAI while strengthening Irish football through investment. You are never going to get anywhere expecting the FAI to suddenly get their act together or expecting the government to apply political pressure. Simply wont happen.
    Well in that case the answer is no. I reserve charity for organisations that truly require it. Sick kids etc. Just can't justify it personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

the points raised here talking down a trust don’t really add up
    No, not really. The 'trust' is a fabrication, with no details behind it.
    well it existed only in my head
    Exactly. So the points raised are valid.

To be honest I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve. You don't support a team. You don't have a local team. You are a big supporter of the Irish national team, but don't contribute to it financially. You think the LOI isn't going to be popular and people aren't going to go to games...............

A trust to centralize fans money for capital projects? Without knowing who'll run it, what it's tasks are, if they would be an even spread of spending throughout Ireland.......

You are not interested. The fai will manage whatever you contribute. You have no desire to see how. Thank you for your interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

You are not interested.
    Correct. I'm not interested in a fabricated idea with no details behind it's. Sounds closer to a money scheme for a charlatan.
    The fai will manage whatever you contribute. You have no desire to see how.
    The FAI will manage......
    No desire to see how.....
    No idea what you are trying to say.

Any chance you could even clarify how this is supposed to work? Who should be appointed to manage it, the number of people working under them, what type of projects (coaches, pitches, indoor arenas, football gear,....) should be prioritized first, the teams or counties that should be targeted with the money raised, the age groups we should focus on, ....?

Otherwise it's just a pile of money and that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

You are not interested.
    Correct. I'm not interested in a fabricated idea with no details behind it's. Sounds closer to a money scheme for a charlatan.

Any chance you could even clarify how this is supposed to work? Who should be appointed to manage it, the number of people working under them, what type of projects (coaches, pitches, indoor arenas, football gear,....) should be prioritized first, the teams or counties that should be targeted with the money raised, the age groups we should focus on, ....?

You are not interested.

You are not interested.

You are not interested.

How would you like to see it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That is a great point. I grew up on Dublin's northside not a million miles away from 2 of the biggest LOI clubs at the time, Bohs and Shels. Never did they darken the door of the school with tickets or training days/camps etc. If you get kids early and give them a t-shirt and a kick about you end up with fans for life.
    Seems like a little effort could go along way.
    I believe Rovers have been doing this in Tallaght.

The Club (Bohs) did do that in the early Naughties and tbf it did work, our attendances went up, not sure why it stopped. As mentioned club are doing a lot off the pitch now and its working for us. have being a mid table team the last few years and attendances ain't bad, our ''brand'' is increasing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

major bill wrote: »
    The Club (Bohs) did do that in the early Naughties and tbf it did work, our attendances went up, not sure why it stopped. As mentioned club are doing a lot off the pitch now and its working for us. have being a mid table team the last few years and attendances ain't bad, our ''brand'' is increasing.

Off topic but I am giving LOI a go this year and was planning Bohs Rovers as my first match to attend in 2 weeks. Can I pay at the gate or should I try and get a ticket in advance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Off topic but I am giving LOI a go this year and was planning Bohs Rovers as my first match to attend in 2 weeks. Can I pay at the gate or should I try and get a ticket in advance?

As mentioned Bohs end is sold out and you would be doing very well in getting a ticket for the away end.

defo a game to go to, it will either make you a fan or turn you off the league in general :) maybe hold off until the second round of games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

major bill wrote: »
    maybe hold off until the second round of games.

Derry City on 27th it is then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

I've a season ticket for the Ireland internationals and would buy some merchandise such as jerseys, hats, etc and have a bit of food and drink at games.

I go to about 15 or so St Patrick's Athletic home games a season, and the odd 1 or 2 away games. Again, I'd buy jerseys, food, etc. I'm also a member of the supporter's club, the Patron Saints, and contribute a set amount by direct debit to it every month.

My local club in Kerry, Ballyhar Dynamos, has a fortnightly lotto. I pay for an annual ticket to the 26 draws every Christmas.

I've been on to a friend of mine that is involved with the Kerry District League (KDL) to set up some sort of fundraising for the Kerry U17 & U15 League of Ireland teams. Must start supporting the lotto for the KDL now that I think of it!

I'd be interested in donating to a charity/trust to help out grassroots soccer, the League of Ireland, or whatever. Good thread OP! :)

Derry City on 27th it is then.

Snow put an end to that anyway.:mad:

Definitely going to see Bohs Sligo on Friday. Have paid for and printed tickets :)

Is it open seating in the Jodi Stand?
    Thinking of pints in the stadium. Is that feasible? Semi comfortable (ie not out in the rain)?

Advertisement