Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2018: Cheapest refuse collection in Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown?

Options
  • 29-01-2018 11:53pm

For some reason, companies involved in refuse collection are very secretive about publishing their prices online. I'm surprised some consumer protection organisation does not compel them to be upfront with their prices, just as it forces doctors, publicans and so many others to list their prices openly.

Greenstar here, for instance, get me to choose my area and townland and when I get to the end of it, they say 'New Customers Please Call GREENSTAR 1890 500 800'. Why do they bother wasting my time if they're going to give me that crap message anyway? (I like their purple bin, which is why I tried them first)

Neither Bonkers.ie nor Switcher.ie have any service to compare collection rates. So, where in 2018 can one get openness and transparency regarding price and service offered by all competitors in the market? Where, for that matter, can I find the names of companies which supply my address? Is there a single website I can go to, put in my address and it lists the companies which give a refuse service there?

Some other questions that somebody might have an answer to:

1. What is the size, in litres, of the average green and black bins? 240ltr? 360ltr? And the brown bin?

2. Is it cheaper to buy bins separately - from a shop like this, for instance - or from the waste company; for that matter, will the waste company charge an extra fee if they dump waste from a bin you've bought elsewhere?

Tks/grma.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Fuaranach wrote: »
    For some reason, companies involved in refuse collection are very secretive about publishing their prices online. I'm surprised some consumer protection organisation does not compel them to be upfront with their prices, just as it forces doctors, publicans and so many others to list their prices openly.

Greenstar here, for instance, get me to choose my area and townland and when I get to the end of it, they say 'New Customers Please Call GREENSTAR 1890 500 800'. Why do they bother wasting my time if they're going to give me that crap message anyway? (I like their purple bin, which is why I tried them first)

Neither Bonkers.ie nor Switcher.ie have any service to compare collection rates. So, where in 2018 can one get openness and transparency regarding price and service offered by all competitors in the market? Where, for that matter, can I find the names of companies which supply my address? Is there a single website I can go to, put in my address and it lists the companies which give a refuse service there?

Some other questions that somebody might have an answer to:

1. What is the size, in litres, of the average green and black bins? 240ltr? 360ltr? And the brown bin?

2. Is it cheaper to buy bins separately - from a shop like this, for instance - or from the waste company; for that matter, will the waste company charge an extra fee if they dump waste from a bin you've bought elsewhere?

Tks/grma.

Plenty of examples of businesses not publishing prices online. It's not really a customer protection issue as you don't have to sign up. You still have the option of not using the service.

Panda used to be cheapest in DL but I'm not sure now.

Black and green bins are typically 240L and brown bins usually 120L.

A waste company wont collect waste from you unless you're a customer so buying your own bin is only useful if you have your own means to bring the bins to a recycling/waste management facility where you can pay to dispose of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

I looked into it a few months back.

Panda was €86.00 annual charge
    Then €3.20 per lift and €0.27 kg for grey bin.
    Guessing max 42kg and once a month lifts suggests
    42kg = €11.34 (14.54 inc lift) x12 months €174.48
    Brown bin was €2.56 lift and €0.16 kg
    42kg = €6.72 (9.28 inc lift) x12 months €111.36
    Green bin no charge.
    Panda total €371.84

Greyhound
    Weekly pay by weight charge at €3.25 x 52 = €169
    Black bin at 35c p/kg
    42kg = €14.70 x12 Months €176.40
    Brown bin at 23c p/kg
    42kg = €9.66 x12 Months €115.92
    Green bin free
    Greyhound total €461.32

Greyhound alternative flat fee
    €25 a month all in, 2 collections a month total €300.00
    All bins unlimited.

This info is a bit dated and the maths are rough so not sure if you found anything better?

Advertisement