Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying car tax for a car no longer in use

Options
  • 30-01-2018 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, we have had an old 2004 Getz car for sale for months now on our drive (so its not on the public road at all) and the Tax run out months ago, havent re-taxed it because we are not using it, dont want to sign the scrap form because it could sell , then what if we have filled out a scrap form or form of disposal and someone wants to buy it?

what is the score with it now, it used to be if you are not driving on a public road or if you have it on a private drive you didnt have to tax it wasnt it? (which quite really seems fair) but my wife seems to think she got some form to do with car tax before Christmas in the post .

Can they back date it now even though its not been used on public road? , thats what she thinks she heard somewhere.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

If it's off the road, leave it alone.
    Sell it and there is no back tax due and buyer taxes it from month of sale.
    Note: it can't be test driven- no tax.
    If you tax it, it's due arrears at 10% of annual tax per month.
    It must be insured to be taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The only time you need to worry about back tax is if you want to tax it during the current ownership. If someone else buys the car, they can tax it with no arrears, and if you don’t want to tax it you don’t have to.

You need to seriously drop the price and just get rid at this stage. They’re not gonna come back in fashion or anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Thanks all - so this tax reminder letter she got before christmas, what do we do just ignore it? - what if they keep sending reminders? - just keep ignoring them?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The only time you need to worry about back tax is if you want to tax it during the current ownership. If someone else buys the car, they can tax it with no arrears, and if you don’t want to tax it you don’t have to.

You need to seriously drop the price and just get rid at this stage. They’re not gonna come back in fashion or anything :)

tell me about it, not a very pretty car, mint green (sorry to people with mint green coloured cars) and the top laquer peeling which makes it even more un-pretty, and its got engine mis-fire trouble so all that is not helping when it comes to sell it.

Only thing going for it is that its NCT'd and has passed the last few NCT's with no problems (good little economical motor it was (before the mis-firing happened)

Trouble is I really dont know whats reasonable price now , or when people are just taking the mick offering stupid money (as a lot of people have done) - there used to be a thing to the trade didnt there which told you an average price for a vehicle based on year/condition etc didnt there?

Be lovely to get rid just to have the space back on the drive as well as the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As little over €0 As you can live with letting it go for is the price.triple figures starting with a number below 3 would be the ballpark I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If you sell it no back tax for new owner after change of ownership.

As little over €0 As you can live with letting it go for is the price.triple figures starting with a number below 3 would be the ballpark I'd imagine.

see thats what we have been offered and turned down and then I have been on done Deal and the like and have seen Getz of that age with NCT up (and gone) for around 600euro with NCT (seen plenty of cars go for less without NCT or NCT failed obviously)

Bare in mind I am not resident in Dublin or anywhere near, and in rural area's - sure I could understand triple figure below 3 up in Dublin because cars are so much cheaper up there .

I am just wondering if the mis-firing is putting people right off. Have put in a set of new spark plugs and there is a spark getting to each plug (looks strong enough when idling , but could be weak under load - so it has been my intention (but havent got around to doing it yet) replacing the coil pack .. but then i get to think if it still is not going to sell it any quicker or still sell for a crap price am I wasting my time and money fixing it.

If it's off the road, leave it alone.
    Sell it and there is no back tax due and buyer taxes it from month of sale.
    Note: it can't be test driven- no tax.
    If you tax it, it's due arrears at 10% of annual tax per month.
    It must be insured to be taxed.

Ah right, what are you supposed to (properly) do in that circumstance, the car not taxed and then someone calls up and wants to take it out for a test drive? They are not going to buy it without taking it out for a run first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ah right, what are you supposed to (properly) do in that circumstance, the car not taxed and then someone calls up and wants to take it out for a test drive? They are not going to buy it without taking it out for a run first

I've seen guys buy cars, drive home and be into the MTO next morning needing to back tax the car they just bought to get it from the pound.
    Also needed letter of ownership ( logbook kept by seller to transfer ownership)but since it's not in their name they can't get it or the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Properly, if the car isn't taxed a potential buyer won't be able to test drive it on a public road, or drive it away if they were rash enough to buy it 'as seen' without a test drive. Legally they'd have to tax it first or trailer it away if they bought it.

Give it another few weeks and it can be seized and impounded if on a public road (for a test drive or a buyer driving away in) and will become more and more difficult to sell.

I'd look at considering if it's worth taxing for three months to help it sell and hope to make the money back in an improved sale price. Otherwise, without tax, anything above scrap value would be a bonus because it's becoming an increasing liability and you might end up having to pay a scrap dealer to collect it to get rid of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I really wouldn't be concerned about the tax, I bought a car that hadn't been taxed in 6 months, drove it for a further 3 months (delay getting log book sent over) was stopped at 2 checkpoints and asked about it, explained situation & was fine. One of the guards checked when my insurance disc started to see when I transferred insurance but that was it. You'd have to meet a serious twat of a guard to have any issue on a test drive or on a recently purchased car

I really wouldn't be concerned about the tax, I bought a car that hadn't been taxed in 6 months, drove it for a further 3 months (delay getting log book sent over) was stopped at 2 checkpoints and asked about it, explained situation & was fine. One of the guards checked when my insurance disc started to see when I transferred insurance but that was it. You'd have to meet a serious twat of a guard to have any issue on a test drive or on a recently purchased car

you would wouldnt you, he would have to be a right jobsworth - theres a real difference between someone taking out a car out for a 5 minute test drive and some owner of the car who flouts the law by not paying car tax but driving it on the road.

Advertisement