Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returning to Ireland to study

• 30-01-2018 2:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

I have been living in Australia and working as an electrician for the past 10 years and am considering returning to Ireland to study engineering. I am hoping to complete the course in 3 years doing it full time. I'm just wondering if anyone else has returned to Ireland to study and how did it work out?

I own a house there with no mortgage so accommodation won't be an issue. I will also have quite a bit of savings and my wife intends to work full-time with me trying to pick up some part time work at weekends.

I also have a young family but will have help from family while we are working/studying.

I'm definitely not expecting it to be plain sailing. I'm just looking for other people's opinions.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I cant speak to your situation specifically (ie family and studying), but I'd focus on understanding your motivations (why are you coming home?) and the risks (whats the worst that can happen?).

Sounds like you're in a great position financially, with family support and from a career perspective. If it were me, I'd do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Assume you have been or know you will be accepted on a course but have you checked out the fees you would pay? I don't know for sure but if you don't qualify for "Free" or "EU" Fees because of not living here for 3 out of the past 5 years you would ahve to pay International Fees which would cripple you. So that would be the first thing to check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Why don't you study engineering in Australia? Or have you decided to come home for good. How does your wife and kids feel about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I cant speak to your situation specifically (ie family and studying), but I'd focus on understanding your motivations (why are you coming home?) and the risks (whats the worst that can happen?).

Sounds like you're in a great position financially, with family support and from a career perspective. If it were me, I'd do it!

We just feel that after 10 years away we'd like to give Ireland another go. We left Ireland 10 years ago young and free but our perspectives have changed since having our first child with another on the way.
    The worst that can happen is that we give it a go and it doesn't work out. At this stage we're 90% sure we are going to make the move.

Assume you have been or know you will be accepted on a course but have you checked out the fees you would pay? I don't know for sure but if you don't qualify for "Free" or "EU" Fees because of not living here for 3 out of the past 5 years you would ahve to pay International Fees which would cripple you. So that would be the first thing to check.

I qualify for EU fees which are more expensive than normal but not enough to cripple me.

• Advertisement

Why don't you study engineering in Australia? Or have you decided to come home for good. How does your wife and kids feel about that?

It's expensive to study in Australia and we wouldn't be able to get by on only my wife's wage here if I were to study full-time.
    We are selling our house in Australia to fund my studies and the move. Even if we were to move back to Australia we wouldn't be moving back to the same place.
    It's a joint decision between my wife and I and so is something we both want to do. My kids won't be old enough to even understand what's happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Well good luck with it. I hope it works out and if the kids are too young to be upset at any upheaval, then fine.
    Just to give you my own experience. I returned home after living in Europe for many years.I am sorry I did now.
    The quality of life here just cannot compare. Number one thing being the health service. It is truly appalling and people really don't understand that until they need it.
    Although I do get it that Australia is so far away and hence more difficult to see family on a regular basis.

Well good luck with it. I hope it works out and if the kids are too young to be upset at any upheaval, then fine.
    Just to give you my own experience. I returned home after living in Europe for many years.I am sorry I did now.
    The quality of life here just cannot compare. Number one thing being the health service. It is truly appalling and people really don't understand that until they need it.
    Although I do get it that Australia is so far away and hence more difficult to see family on a regular basis.

Thanks. I hope so too. It's one of those things that if I don't do I will be wondering what would have happened if Id done it. I have a good lifestyle in Australia but career wise I am probably never going to get close to where I want to be as I really don't enjoy being an electrician. I can earn good money but most of the time I end up spending a lot of time away from my wife and daughter as there is not much work close to home.
    We will be leaving Australia as citizens so will have the option to return if things don't work out in Ireland.

I’ve nothing to offer other than my good wishes and respect. Go for it.

I’ve nothing to offer other than my good wishes and respect. Go for it.

Thanks Maryanne😀

• Advertisement

aido79 wrote: »
    I qualify for EU fees which are more expensive than normal but not enough to cripple me.

I thought EU Fees required u to have been resident in an EU country for 3 of the past 5 yrs? Delighted for u if I:m wrong

I thought EU Fees required u to have been resident in an EU country for 3 of the past 5 yrs? Delighted for u if I:m wrong

From citizens advice website:

"From September 2014, an Irish, EU, EEA or Swiss student who has spent at least five years in primary school or second level school in Ireland can avail of EU fee rates."

So from that it looks like I qualify for EU fee rates.

aido79 wrote: »
    From citizens advice website:

"From September 2014, an Irish, EU, EEA or Swiss student who has spent at least five years in primary school or second level school in Ireland can avail of EU fee rates."

So from that it looks like I qualify for EU fee rates.

Great! I was out of date. Good luck! You'll enjoy the challenge & have the confidence fr already having achieved at yr job so w family support u'll be

Advertisement