Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quest Kenmare 2018 - Beginner Tips?

Options
  • 30-01-2018 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has previously done the Quest Kenmare? This will be my first adventure race (not a whole of experience running/cycing) so looking for some general tips or anything I should be aware of on the course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Domo1982

Did Quest Killarney this time last year and the big take away for me was that trail running and road running are almost a different sport!...have done all kinds of road running up to Marathon distance but really struggled with the run in Killarney last year. The Cardiac steps right at the start of the run section did not help but I struggled throughout to be honest. Not sure what the terrain is like in the Kenmare Quest this year?

I would suggest to build in some trail running as part of you training and maybe invest in a pair of trail running shoes.

Best of luck
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I have not done Quest Kenmare yet

But I do agree on getting out trail running or getting some hill work during your training un even terrain and mud / hills can really eat up your speed if your not used to it check out IMRA a great way to get out and enjoy a trail run in a group

maybe try finding a plan you can follow working on your cycling and running and do a few brick sessions to get the legs used to running after cycling quest have one on the website you can follow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

Thanks for the replies!

Will try to get some trail running in over the next few weeks, but will at the very least pick up a pair of more appropriate runners.

At the weekend will do my first run/cycle and see how the legs feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Pizzle wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies!

Will try to get some trail running in over the next few weeks, but will at the very least pick up a pair of more appropriate runners.

At the weekend will do my first run/cycle and see how the legs feel.

This is the first year for Kenmare isn't it which distance did you go for is it kyack/ run/ cycle

Might also be a good idea to think about transition how quick do you want to be and how your going to carry your water if you are doing the longer distances you will need to bring something to eat be it jellies, gel, or we use tailwind

Just something else to consider, quest have videos up on youtube on training and clothing what bike to use etc

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

If it was me I'd be going with minimal transition changes. A set of flat pedals on the bike and wear your runners for the entire course. Trail runners are ideal if you can get a pair.
    Looking at 3 shoe changes if you're on cycling shoes on the bike and the cycles on the shorter 2 courses aren't long enough to make up the difference in time.
    Other than that what I would suggest is to get a cycle jersey and get all your gear in it. Safety pin in the emergency kit to one of its pockets so it doesn't bounce around or fall out. A buff should do you ok instead of the cap and can be wrapped around your wrist as a sweatband if is too hot. If you're going to wear gloves leave them at the bike before you go kayaking or you'll probably regret it when they get wet.
    Drink plenty before getting off the bike or take a bidon with you for the runs.

If you're not going for a place finish or a win I would suggest looking around you at where you are and having a chat with your fellow participants.

Try to have tracksuit or something to put on after finishing or you'll be cold in no time.

Definitely try to eat in one of Kenmare many restaurants before you leave. You won't regret it I guarantee.

If you want to try out some trail running to get used of it check out IMRA. Loads of runs around most of the country now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭rebelgourmet

Heading down myself to this (for my sins). Weather looks really bad (cold and very wet), the pints had better be awesome :-), anyone else heading there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Msmaryk

Also heading down to Kenmare as a beginner! Challenge route. Anyone know if everything in the ‘mandatory pack’ is strictly mandatory? (Includes bike pump, spare tube, survival blanket, whistle, jacket etc as well as first aid kit etc which I’ll defo be bringing) Eg I wasn’t planning on bringing a bike pump or jacket with me.

Excited!

Feel I'm very under prepared for the Sport Route...but so long as I finish it I'll be happy! Looks like the weather won't be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Bike pump is really for your own use if you get punctured. A hand pump or a CO2 pump on the bike won't slow you down as much as a 10k walk/run if you puncture surely? I don't ever carry a jacket but if you intend on walking the hills you will be much better off with one. Whistle, first aid, foil blanket etc are easily carried in a zip lock bag in a jersey pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

You will be asked for mandotary kit found it more so on Quest than other brand adv races...
    get to Sports direct or local hike shop handy little pocket job for a cycling jersey carry...
    It has everything except the whistle in it...

https://ie.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-mini-first-aid-kit-784314?colcode=78431408&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_-L85ZLd2QIVqZPtCh3GEwqZEAQYBCABEgKwmPD_BwE

And most importantly enjoy the scenery and take it all in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Pizzle wrote: »
    Feel I'm very under prepared for the Sport Route...but so long as I finish it I'll be happy! Looks like the weather won't be great.

As long as you have done some training dont worry about it...
    Once you start the weather will become irrelevant...and the nerves will disappear..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

How did you get on Pizzle?

Got on great! Not a particularly good time, but was happy just to make it to the end. The first run/climb was very tough. It's a pity the Kayak was cancelled due to the weather. Looking forward to doing another one!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 smurph6

Doing Quest in kenmare in two weeks. Have signed up for the sports one. Anyone here know what the route is like. Is there much climbing in the cycling stages etc

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Yermander

smurph6 wrote: »
    Doing Quest in kenmare in two weeks. Have signed up for the sports one. Anyone here know what the route is like. Is there much climbing in the cycling stages etc

Doing this route myself, haven't cycled the Stage 1 road, route on Strava says 315m elevation with gradual drags. Cycle for Stage 3 is downhill to flat back into Kenmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Completed this at the weekend. They still haven't published the proper finishing times, all the splits and corrected positions. Just the gun times and a couple of splits taken from that. No mention of if people completed all the sections (the kayak was pulled and some didn't make the cutoffs but could continue) They've also started to hide any comments mentioning issues with the timing on Facebook. Would this be a typical time span of a delay with an adventure race or can we assume that the new timing system didn't work at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

Completed this at the weekend. They still haven't published the proper finishing times, all the splits and corrected positions. Just the gun times and a couple of splits taken from that. No mention of if people completed all the sections (the kayak was pulled and some didn't make the cutoffs but could continue) They've also started to hide any comments mentioning issues with the timing on Facebook. Would this be a typical time span of a delay with an adventure race or can we assume that the new timing system didn't work at this stage?

My time and splits have changed three times since being published. Definitely having issues. Other races had a wristband that you scanned at each station. The new system obviously isn't working properly just yet.

Advertisement