Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BARRACK STREET - CORK CITY

Options
  • 30-01-2018 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi Guys ,

was looking at a house to buy off barrack st. prosperity square around that area. Is barrack st safe enough area and what is parking like? any advice would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I think its fine. The area is largely made up of elderly senior citizens and working professionals who are only there Monday-Friday.
    I lived not too far from there up to about 2 years ago, never had any issues with anti social behaviour, felt at ease walking around alone and my neighbours were lovely.

As for parking, if you apply for a residents permit from the council you won't run into any issues.
    AFAIK there aren't any student houses around that area, but it would be worth your while to double check that by having a chat with neighbours. Students living in close proximity would be the only thing putting me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

helena1122 wrote: »
    Hi Guys ,

was looking at a house to buy off barrack st. prosperity square around that area. Is barrack st safe enough area and what is parking like? any advice would be great!

Been a couple of years since I lived around Barrack St. but as far as I am aware it's been on the up in recent times. There's a lovely cafe there in Alchemy. There's a couple of nice bars. Very close to city center obviously. I'd say there's a good mix of residents there. There's a minor anti-social element though in late evening/night with it's proximity to the city center and the number of bars (and students) that dot the way up Barrack Street and Bandon Road. Parking is on-street parking (not sure if propserity square have different rules) but I never had an issue getting parked close to the house. The wardens are fairly good and making sure people don't dump their cars there for a free parking trip to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Lived close by (St. Nessan St.) for a couple of years, never had any problems; other than walking that hill! Didn't have a car so can't really comment on parking - I'd assume you'd have parking in the square itself? Probably not much on Barrack St. itself.

Some nice restaurants and pubs in the area now: Tom Barry's, Bar Pigalle, Bradleys, Miyazaki, Bao Boi, Good Day Deli. Not a long walk from the Lough either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Living there 8 years, I love it. You just cant beat the location.

Only black spot is the students on a Thursday night but it shouldn't be a problem for you as you will be off the actual street.

Advertisement