Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours well and my septic tank

Options
  • 30-01-2018 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am hoping to build a single house on a 1.5 acre site, but have been told by architect who has met with council re planning that there needs to be one hundred metres between the neighbours well and our septic tank. The site could only allow for approx. fifty meters between them, we just don't have enough land. So bar buying extra land, which really isn't a financial option, does anyone have any idea what options I might have here or how I can explore other alternatives? Surely this happens with smaller site builds all the time???? I am new to this.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

it all depends on the topography of the site... if your site is up hill from the well then separation distance increases.
    also, the soil conditions will affect separation distances as well, with sandy / silty soils requiring increased distances

that being said, 100m seems very excessive.

see table B3 here:
    http://www.epa.ie/pubs/advice/water/wastewater/code%20of%20practice%20for%20single%20houses/Code%20of%20Practice%20Part%202.pdf

maybe your local council has different prescribed distances?? i dont know.
    Talk to an Site Suitability assessor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,419 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Change the layout of the site.
    is it the tank or the percolation area?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 newbuild95

Thanks. The site is on a hill, I’m uphill the Neighbour is downhill so that could explain the measurement. But I feel like this must happen and there has to be another solution. I’m not sure re perculation or site of tank. We haven’t done a perculation test yet, although one was done ten years ago and it was fine. Should I try and talk to an engineer?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

newbuild95 wrote: »
    Thanks. The site is on a hill, I’m uphill the Neighbour is downhill so that could explain the measurement. But I feel like this must happen and there has to be another solution. I’m not sure re perculation or site of tank. We haven’t done a perculation test yet, although one was done ten years ago and it was fine. Should I try and talk to an engineer?

a site suitability assessor first.

They are the ones who carry out the perc test and should know the ins and outs of that document i linked to above.

Advertisement