Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenway Map

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Hi everyone

There is a planning proposal to divert a substantial section of the agreed Tralee-Fenit Greenway route from the rail line and detour through a field near Clogherbrien Bridge near Tralee which we disagree with for a number of reasons.
    You can email a submission on the proposal to Kerry Council to ciu@kerrycoco.ie by next Friday September 4th and mark it Tralee-Fenit Greenway (Bawnboy), Tralee, Co. Kerry.

Checkout the https://www.facebook.com/TraleeFenitGreenway/ which has more details.

A pallet making company - Southwest Pallet Production - has taken over part of the old railway and are now looking for the green way to deviate even though they do not own the land or have planning permission building erected on it.

If they are allowed this deviation then it does not bode well for future developments of green ways as it will set precedent.

If you can have a quick read of the facebook post and send an email objecting to the diversion it would help.

Would set several dangerous precedents, apparently there was no objection made during the public consultation regarding this, so it seems like a post-hoc 'word in someones ear' that utterly ignores the rules, including the rules about what you can do with land you don't own!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Agreed, I know I was late in posting but any support against such behavior would be greatly appreciated.
    So cut todays spin short by 5 min and send in an email objecting to the deviation to Part 8 of the Tralee - Fenit greeway.

If f3ckers like this can get away with it then what hope is there for future developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I stuck my oar objection in there earlier.

It's mad how blatant it all is: https://goo.gl/maps/ooq3ciqast5xELzm9

Here is what I sent, use it if you need

ciu@kerrycoco.ie

Tralee-Fenit Greenway (Bawnboy), Tralee, Co. Kerry

Administrative Officer, Capital Infrastructure Unit

I am objecting to the proposed deviation to Part 8 - Tralee-Fenit Greenway (Bawnboy) which if allowed will divert the Greenway from the original rail line at Bawnboy, Tralee.

The intended use of the original rail line which is in public ownership is to be converted into a multi use public amenity. This proposal would lead to the loss of integrity of the scheme as a whole if it failed to faithfully follow the route of the old railway line. 

As the land is in public ownership the illegal encroachment and building by a business on such land without authorisation cannot be allowed as it would set a dangerous precedent for future initiatives as it would give legal recourse to others and reward those who seek to circumnavigate the legal planning process. 

The overall goal of completing a public amenity that will serve the town and surrounding communities for generations to come, should not fall foul to the unethical use of public lands by an individual. It will also add unnecessary delay and costs to a public project that has full planning permission.  
    Should the deviation be granted it will reflect poorly on Kerry County Council as it will be a failure of duty to properly carry out a project which has full planning permission.

Mise le meas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

Done. Hopefully a difference can be made here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Will sent an email now also.

Ehile in more positive news.

work-begins-on-24-kilometre-south-east-greenway-in-kilkenny.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Here is what I sent, use it if you need

ciu@kerrycoco.ie

Tralee-Fenit Greenway (Bawnboy), Tralee, Co. Kerry

Administrative Officer, Capital Infrastructure Unit

I am objecting to the proposed deviation to Part 8 - Tralee-Fenit Greenway (Bawnboy) which if allowed will divert the Greenway from the original rail line at Bawnboy, Tralee.

The intended use of the original rail line which is in public ownership is to be converted into a multi use public amenity. This proposal would lead to the loss of integrity of the scheme as a whole if it failed to faithfully follow the route of the old railway line. 

As the land is in public ownership the illegal encroachment and building by a business on such land without authorisation cannot be allowed as it would set a dangerous precedent for future initiatives as it would give legal recourse to others and reward those who seek to circumnavigate the legal planning process. 

The overall goal of completing a public amenity that will serve the town and surrounding communities for generations to come, should not fall foul to the unethical use of public lands by an individual. It will also add unnecessary delay and costs to a public project that has full planning permission.  
    Should the deviation be granted it will reflect poorly on Kerry County Council as it will be a failure of duty to properly carry out a project which has full planning permission.

Mise le meas

Stuck one in as well. Looks like lots of people are doing so. Jockey's bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

buffalo wrote: »
    I stuck my oar objection in there earlier.

It's mad how blatant it all is: https://goo.gl/maps/ooq3ciqast5xELzm9

That's theft of a public resource ! Lobbed in my objection too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Threw my objection in as well, can't believe the council are literally going out of their way to ignore a breach of planning and a property grab.

On a happier note work is ongoing on the Barrow Blueway this morning near Ballyteague

525218.jpg

Contractors are also working just north of Athy, hopefully a nice bit will be done before winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Something similar is happening with the Great Southern Trail in Limerick where a farmer built onto the line.

A detour is being made there.

Not sure what happens here. If these people have 'squatted' for a certain period do they end up with some sort of ownership right.

It may be cheaper and quicker for the councils to do the detour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

nilhg wrote: »

On a happier note work is ongoing on the Barrow Blueway this morning near Ballyteague

525218.jpg

Contractors are also working just north of Athy, hopefully a nice bit will be done before winter.

I'm a bit ambivalent about this. I see the benefit in developing these but there are also next to no actual green greenways left? In fairness the stretch north of Athy was hardly aesthetic I suppose.

Looks like the decision was to allow development of the canalside but not the river side? I think that's probably right and will keep everybody (reasonably) happy?

https://kclr96fm.com/planning-refused-for-barrow-blueway/#:~:text=An%20Bord%20Plean%C3%A1la%20have%20refused,by%20Carlow%20County%20Council%20overturned.

https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2020/06/25/work-on-barrow-blueway-to-start-in-july/#.X1E6KshKjIU

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

a148pro wrote: »
    I'm a bit ambivalent about this. I see the benefit in developing these but there are also next to no actual green greenways left? In fairness the stretch north of Athy was hardly aesthetic I suppose.

Looks like the decision was to allow development of the canalside but not the river side? I think that's probably right and will keep everybody (reasonably) happy?

https://kclr96fm.com/planning-refused-for-barrow-blueway/#:~:text=An%20Bord%20Plean%C3%A1la%20have%20refused,by%20Carlow%20County%20Council%20overturned.

https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2020/06/25/work-on-barrow-blueway-to-start-in-july/#.X1E6KshKjIU

I cycled up the opposite bank, walked across a lock gate to take the picture and went back to my bike and on towards Robertstown, none of which will change. Almost all of the Barrow line canal has towpath both sides, one side will be still green, it will just be a case of having it maintained enough to be usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

as discussed further up the thread, the bit in Carlow was refused permission due to a local campaign against it. It's still cycle-able but it's rough.

Not really greenway but I saw a piece on the local free newspaper mentioning 153k being allocated for a 'greyway' between Drogheda and Dundalk along the old N1/R132

Not much detail on it that I could find

https://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/html5/reader/production/default.aspx?pubname=&pubid=eb89a4df-82ca-4255-b3ba-e3bfbcabe3b0

On page six , top right.

I could think of far nicer spins than riding that route to Dundalk from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Not really greenway but I saw a piece on the local free newspaper mentioning 153k being allocated for a 'greyway' between Drogheda and Dundalk along the old N1/R132

A lot of money to slap down some paint and call it job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

I could think of far nicer spins than riding that route to Dundalk from here.

Think the point of the "greyways" isn't a "nice spin" but point to point cycling to get somewhere specific for work/shopping etc. Hence several councils have looked for funding to put them along old or existing N roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Grassey wrote: »

Agreed! Have seen comments online from various people in counties where these are planned wondering about the design guidelines. It doesn't look as if the amounts of money allocated would buy any more than paint and maybe a few bike logos so unlikely to attract anyone not using them already.

Decision on the South Kerry Greenway due in early October from An Bord Pleanála.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40045268.html

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

Decision on the South Kerry Greenway due in early October from An Bord Pleanála.

Do I hear the sound of a can being kicked down the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Agreed! Have seen comments online from various people in counties where these are planned wondering about the design guidelines. It doesn't look as if the amounts of money allocated would buy any more than paint and maybe a few bike logos so unlikely to attract anyone not using them already.

Probably even make it worse, a continuous painted line in a hard shoulder aint no good for the roadies who are cycling on thin tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Grassey wrote: »
    This wouldn't be bad at all, would be a bit safer than as it stands. Not ideal of course, but better than nothing and achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

This wouldn't be bad at all, would be a bit safer than as it stands. Not ideal of course, but better than nothing and achievable.

How would paint make it safer? If anything, more drivers would see a cyclist now as 'in the cycle lane' and wouldn't bother moving out to a safe passing distance.

A greyway appears to be a uniquely Irish solution, I can't find any trace of them anywhere in the world as an example of good cycling infrastructure.

What did turn up in the search was a company called Greyway, set up in March 2018. I wonder if the founders know any politicians or paint suppliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

buffalo wrote: »
    How would paint make it safer? If anything, more drivers would see a cyclist now as 'in the cycle lane' and wouldn't bother moving out to a safe passing distance.

A greyway appears to be a uniquely Irish solution, I can't find any trace of them anywhere in the world as an example of good cycling infrastructure.

What did turn up in the search was a company called Greyway, set up in March 2018. I wonder if the founders know any politicians or paint suppliers?

I'll withhold judgement until I see what they actually propose. There's space on many of these former N roads for a 2 way cycle-lane and a 2 lane road separated with a hedge or barrier. You don't need massive hard shoulders on what is now an R road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

loyatemu wrote: »
    I'll withhold judgement until I see what they actually propose. There's space on many of these former N roads for a 2 way cycle-lane and a 2 lane road separated with a hedge or barrier. You don't need massive hard shoulders on what is now an R road.

I'd want to see some form of physical separation before I'd consider it anything more than lazy and regressive 'paint on the road' As another poster has mentioned, simply slapping down paint is actually worse than no provision, psychologically it puts a 'barrier' in place, that means drivers don't feel the need to pass at safe distances, obviously also regressive in that it gives road-centric/cycling weak councils etc a 'spending cover' for lack of meaningful action.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

South Kerry Greenway granted by An Bord Pleanala

https://www.radiokerry.ie/south-kerry-greenway-granted-bord-pleanala/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

Yay!

Fantastic news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I saw these pics on Twitter yesterday, looks stunning.

https://twitter.com/lucyoshea/status/1326877668747468800?s=19

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Not sure if you saw the news last week about Dublin Port's plans to start work on their Tolka Estuary Greenway and to appoint Architects to design the linking route from the Greenway to the Eastlink Toll Bridge. See https://www.dublinport.ie/dublin-port-company-appoints-grafton-architects-create-new-cycle-pedestrian-route-join-river-liffey-tolka-estuary/ The Greenway obtained a 10 year planning permission back in 2016 and is to be built in 3 phases. The final phase involves the widening of the existing path along the northern boundary of Eastpoint Business Park and needs the cooperation and agreement of the Park's owners. Hopefully this will be forthcoming as they were happy enough to be included in the planning application. Combined with the proposed link along Bond Road and East Wall Road to the Toll Bridge, the northside portion of the S2S should finally be completed.

Advertisement