Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenway Map

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

And it would appear consultation has just closed on a re-aligned section of the N52 that will run just south of here, and feature an AT-GRADE crossing of the greenway... Give me strength...

http://idocswebdpss.meathcoco.ie/iDocsWebDPSS/ViewFiles.aspx?docid=2335318&format=jpeg

Cork County Council trialing bike repair/maintenance facilities on the Cork Harbour Greenway:

https://www.thecork.ie/2020/11/19/bike-repair-stations-added-to-greenway-on-pilot-scheme/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

JazzyJ wrote: »
    I just had a look at this, great stuff.

I did notice a line from Cruagh Woods to Ballyogan. The actual greenway runs from Cruagh Wood (a road in Stepaside) rather than the woods. See the following from DLR co co:

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/council-democracy/capital-programme/cruagh-wood-greenway

Anybody know if this is open yet from Cruagh to Clay Farm???

Anybody know if this is open yet from Cruagh to Clay Farm???

It should be, according to this article

https://www.irishbuildingmagazine.ie/2020/11/25/atkins-designed-cruagh-wood-greenway-completed/

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Yes, open. A nice link between Enniskerry Road and Ballyogan Road. About 1km in length. Very useful for lockdown walks recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Spotted this earlier:
    Not many people know that there is a secret tunnel under the N81 here at Russborough. Well, it wasn't always a secret. It was widely used over the years to drive livestock from the estate safely to the other side, under the road and latterly the tramway (est.1888). But at some point it became neglected and overgrown and fell out of use. Like Sleeping Beauty's castle, 100 years of vegetation completely obscured it from view and its existence seemed more like a fairytale. But then in 2019, stray cattle mysteriously appeared on the Russborough estate and an intrepid search party of John Horan of the Blessington Forum and our own CEO Eric Blatchford set out to solve the mystery. Failing to find any evidence of the structure on this side, the pair crossed over to the lake and fought there way back through dense undergrowth towards the estate. Imagine their delight when they finally saw a wonderfully tall and wide stone structure emerge like a lost Mayan temple - the fabled Russborough tunnel.

At the same time plans for the Blessington Greenway were afoot and it seemed that the discovery of the tunnel offered the perfect solution to safely connect Russborough to this 42 km walking and cycling circuit of the lakes and surrounding villages. But first the dense foliage had to be cleared. Surveys checked the integrity of the structure, plans were drawn up for remedial works and inspections carried out. A massive pond retaining wall 16 metres long and 4 metres high must be repaired and the three spans of the bridge and tunnel inspected. It appears that part of the structure dates back to 1750, with extensions and reinforcements put in around 1880 for the coming tramway. Walkways from the tunnel to the estate were then cleared and it became obvious that this find represented a huge win for Russborough and the community. More good news came in recent weeks with the confirmation that the Greenway would be 100% funded by the Government.

With Phase 2 of the Greenway project forging ahead in 2021, it could be that by 2022 this marvelous amenity will be ready for launch, 42 km of trail loops in breathtaking scenery with a terminus at historic Russborough. A fantastic attraction for walkers, cyclists, local families and tourists alike and a hugely positive development for Blessington and the surrounding area. There is light at the end of the tunnel and the future is looking a lot brighter!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stoneybats

Leitrim Council are currently consulting on extending the blueway from Battlebridge to Carrick, 8.5km to add to the 7km or so that's there already.

"The proposed Carrick-on-Shannon to Battlebridge Blueway will provide a high-quality cyclist and pedestrian Blueway route between Carrick-on-Shannon, Leitrim Village and Battlebridge Lock. The Blueway will provide recreational experiences for tourists and the local community using the existing natural assets and will act as an economic stimulus in the area, county and the region. Starting at Corryolus to the north west of Carrickon-Shannon, the Blueway will follow the route of the River Shannon northward for a length of some 8km ending approximately 1km west of Leitrim Village at Battlebridge Lock Gates. A map of the proposed study area is enclosed."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Sorry if this is a silly question lads, but what is the difference between a greenway and a blueway ?

I've always thought it's to do with running beside water, but then why is the Royal Canal a GreenWay? Why not Royal Canal BlueWay ?

Duckjob wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a silly question lads, but what is the difference between a greenway and a blueway ?

I've always thought it's to do with running beside water, but then why is the Royal Canal a GreenWay? Why not Royal Canal BlueWay ?

Both are, to some extent, a branding exercise.

Greenway = Cycle and Walking route

Blueway = Walking, Cycle and Water Activity Route - This is a Waterways Ireland branding thing

As to why the Royal is down usually as only a Greenway, you'd have to ask Waterways Ireland.

Blueways usually include upgrades not only to towpaths/trails for cycling and greater accessibility but also things like additional low to the water jetties for kayak/canoe launching, maybe changing facilities at certain locations etc, and an effort to develop waymarked routes/options and maps of water routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Sorry if it is posted elsewhere but is there an update on the status of the Barrow Blueway from Athy to Lowtown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Sorry if it is posted elsewhere but is there an update on the status of the Barrow Blueway from Athy to Lowtown?

Milltown Bridge to Vicarstown is complete, works have started north of Vicarstown but I think they have skipped the bit immediately adjacent to Vivcarstown itself.

On the Northern end it's complete from Lowtown to Glenaree (some tarmac to be laid on the last couple of KMs before Glenaree, but cycleable with care) Works ongoing between Glenaree and Rathangan (est complete sometime in Q3)

The rest is in reasonably good condition with the current dry weather, easily cyclable on something with 32mm+ tyres, might be tough going on a genuine road bike.

When I say complete above it's surfacing I'm referring to, no work done on gates, signage, or road crossings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

isn't the greenway along the poulaphouca reservoir planned to go further south than it currently shows on the map? i.e. it pretty much gets to russborough on the map but i'm fairly sure they're planning on going further south with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

It's supposed to circumnavigate the lake, there's some vocal local opposition to it though I really hope the NIMBYs don't derail it it would be an amazing asset and revenue generator for the area

nilhg wrote: »
    Milltown Bridge to Vicarstown is complete, works have started north of Vicarstown but I think they have skipped the bit immediately adjacent to Vivcarstown itself.

On the Northern end it's complete from Lowtown to Glenaree (some tarmac to be laid on the last couple of KMs before Glenaree, but cycleable with care) Works ongoing between Glenaree and Rathangan (est complete sometime in Q3)

The rest is in reasonably good condition with the current dry weather, easily cyclable on something with 32mm+ tyres, might be tough going on a genuine road bike.

When I say complete above it's surfacing I'm referring to, no work done on gates, signage, or road crossings.

Thanks very much for the detailed response. Plans changed so I didn't end up checking it out in the end but I definitely will. Thanks again.

tnegun wrote: »
    It's supposed to circumnavigate the lake, there's some vocal local opposition to it though I really hope the NIMBYs don't derail it it would be an amazing asset and revenue generator for the area

I think agreement was reached with a landowner who owned part of the proposed route. I think that was the main stumbling block.

Latest news I can see on it is 'starting early this year for completion in 2022' so I'm guessing it's at least 6 months delayed...

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/wicklowpeople/news/completed-greenway-expected-by-mid-2022-39730842.html

Nothing I could see up on the planning website
    http://www.eplanning.ie/WicklowCC/AppFileRefDetails/17307/0

https://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/AllServices/Planning/PublicRealm/BarrowBlueway/Barrow%20Blueway%20Progress%20report%2023062021.pdf

Some anomalies there, the last section before Glenaree is marked as complete though it's supposed to get a layer of tarmac, and no mention of the stretch from Milltown bridge into Athy town

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

So the section between Rathangan and Monasterevin will be almost the last piece completed

cletus wrote: »
    So the section between Rathangan and Monasterevin will be almost the last piece completed

Yeah, it seems so, though if they happen to be working from both ends it should happen quick enough, though that section of towpath is probably structurally the worst.

I feel a bit sorry for the Monasterevin folk, since it was announced they have been the most vocal on social media about the possibilities, and are going to be last to get it.

Yeah, it seems so, though if they happen to be working from both ends it should happen quick enough, though that section of towpath is probably structurally the worst.

I feel a bit sorry for the Monasterevin folk, since it was announced they have been the most vocal on social media about the possibilities, and are going to be last to get it.

Having grown up in Monasterevin, the town could do with something like this, especially tying it in with the new kayak club, Ballykelly Mill's development, and the prospect of a mini Lough Boora out in Ummerus Bog, all connected directly to the canal

• Advertisement

I see that the footbridge (part of the greenway) across the canal in Sallins is due to start construction next month with a view to be finished by Spring 22.

Other non-greenway work will be putting in some segregated cycle lanes along the main road, and other speed limiting implementations to make it less attractive for cars to go through the village and not around the new bypass.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Not seeing any mention of the section after the M7 Motorway bridge on to Monasterevin which is a real shame especially considering the other side from Monasterevin to Rathangan will be the final section completed as mentioned.

Dcully wrote: »
    Not seeing any mention of the section after the M7 Motorway bridge on to Monasterevin which is a real shame especially considering the other side from Monasterevin to Rathangan will be the final section completed as mentioned.

The section named Courtwood deals with that, I'd imagine. Courtwood is a townland halfway between Monasterevin and Vicarstown, so I'd say that will bring you up as far as the motorway bridge

*edit* Actually, re-reading the rwport, you're right, they only mention working from Courtwood to Vicarstown, no mention of working North from Courtwood

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Courtwood to Fisherstown is also in the works , barriers are up the past few weeks.
    The report mentions going to motorway bridge but this hasnt started yet well not a few days ago when i was there.
    The worrying bit is there is no mention of motorway to monasterevin at all.

Dcully wrote: »
    Courtwood to Fisherstown is also in the works , barriers are up the past few weeks.
    The report mentions going to motorway bridge but this hasnt started yet well not a few days ago when i was there.
    The worrying bit is there is no mention of motorway to monasterevin at all.

I think/hope that the reference to the M7 bridge is with regard to 2021 work, the rest will be done in 2022. There is no way that works will be complete from Rathangan to Monasterevin in 2021 if they will only reach Rathangan in Q4 so I think it will be mid 2022 before both sides reach you Dcully

Grassey wrote: »
    I see that the footbridge (part of the greenway) across the canal in Sallins is due to start construction next month with a view to be finished by Spring 22.

Other non-greenway work will be putting in some segregated cycle lanes along the main road, and other speed limiting implementations to make it less attractive for cars to go through the village and not around the new bypass.

I've spoken to the engineer on the village changes, hopeful aim is to have most of it done over July/August, though some will be held up by some Irish water works.

It looks like some decent temporary interventions are coming which is great until we get some public realm in the next few years

Limerick Greenway opens up to the public

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40326143.html

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FinnC

Is the hope eventually to extend the greenway/blue way all the way up the Grand Canal to Dublin?
    I know there are plans for extending the Grand Canal greenway from the 12th lock in Lucan to Hazel Hatch, just wondering is there plans to go any further. Would make sense to have it join up with this Barrow blue way.

FinnC wrote: »
    Is the hope eventually to extend the greenway/blue way all the way up the Grand Canal to Dublin?
    I know there are plans for extending the Grand Canal greenway from the 12th lock in Lucan to Hazel Hatch, just wondering is there plans to go any further. Would make sense to have it join up with this Barrow blue way.

There are local reports that Sallins to Hazlehatch will start in Sept for completion in July 22, I'd imagine that the rest of the Kildare section will follow quickly after that.

https://www.facebook.com/GrandCnlGrenway/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

A reminder that the consultation period on Fingal's plans for the Royal Canal Greenway ends next Wednesday. Seems like the residents of the housing estates near the Deep Sinking have been very active in opposing any route along the northern bank despite the severe restrictions of any southern option. Please take a few minutes to support the current plans at
    https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/royal-canal-urban-greenway

Advertisement