Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenway Map

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Interesting article by Sarah Caden in the Indo (paywalled if your'e not a subscriber) in which she talks about her mum, who is the lady on the trike who was interviewed by Anne Cassin during their Nationwide special on the Royal Canal Greenway. She eloquently makes the case for making green/blueways accessible to all and has a good cut at those who campaigned against the upgrade of the Barrow track below Athy.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/not-surfacing-our-greenways-only-adds-to-cycle-of-blocking-olderpeoplesfreedoms-40608024.html

TBH I have to agree with her, which wouldn't be something that often happens, I'm seeing first hand the difference upgrading the Barrow line is making and while the grass track is nice this time of the year for most people it's no use most of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭this.lad

nilhg wrote: »
    Interesting article by Sarah Caden in the Indo (paywalled if your'e not a subscriber) in which she talks about her mum, who is the lady on the trike who was interviewed by Anne Cassin during their Nationwide special on the Royal Canal Greenway. She eloquently makes the case for making green/blueways accessible to all and has a good cut at those who campaigned against the upgrade of the Barrow track below Athy.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/not-surfacing-our-greenways-only-adds-to-cycle-of-blocking-olderpeoplesfreedoms-40608024.html

TBH I have to agree with her, which wouldn't be something that often happens, I'm seeing first hand the difference upgrading the Barrow line is making and while the grass track is nice this time of the year for most people it's no use most of the year.

They have done a lovely job on the section from vicarstown back towards Athy. We drove over a couple of weeks ago and walked it with the kids. It was getting plenty of use, as was the canal itself.

I would often cycle the road along the opposite side ofthe canal here but never saw so many out before. Running it to all the way to carlow and beyond would be an excellent amenity.

I think that cycling routes that don't consist solely of a line painted on the road are the way we need to move. I'm not entirely sure that they need to follow a canal or disused railway.

If we were to be serious about cycling to work and to school this is needed, I wont let mine cycle at silage time for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

nilhg wrote: »
    There are local reports that Sallins to Hazlehatch will start in Sept for completion in July 22, I'd imagine that the rest of the Kildare section will follow quickly after that.

https://www.facebook.com/GrandCnlGrenway/

Sallins to the Offaly border is planned as a 'Phase 2' following on from the current Sallins-Hazelhatch section. I 'think' it might have part 8 approval, but I wouldn't be at all sure on that, if its progressed soon it could be started in 2022 after the current section is finished, but I'd say 2023 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭josip

Does anyone know where the Access Points will be for the New Ross to Waterford (South East) Greenway ?

The website don't list any access points apart from the beginning and end, which can't really be considered access points, every kind of a track/path has a beginning and an end.

http://southeastgreenway.net/access-points-parking/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Would they not be at almost every road crossing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭josip

Very few "at grade" road crossings on that railway line, any that I know of are private ones for farmers. Coming out from New Ross, there's an underbridge at IAWS, an overbridge at Shea's avenue, an overbridge at Annaghs, an overbridge at the Bridle Road, an underbridge at the Barnaharaic (Barny Arrick), an overbridge at the Mullinavat Road and at Mernaghs. The county road bridge is on over bridge. I think the first level access part might be at the old station in Glenmore.

Navan Kingscourt route has been given more funding this week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was heartened to see that in our local public park, several paths are now actually 'greenways' according to the signage. i'm sure dublin city council have an excel spreadsheet somewhere claiming that they've provisioned new greenways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭ratracer

Has anyone any up to date info on the royal canal greenway from Mullingar to Maynooth?

I am planning on cycling Galway-Dublin in the next few weeks, and might take this route for a change. I know Athlone to Mullingar is grand, but haven’t been any further along this route. Is there a tarmac surface all the way to Maynooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

Some tarmac/shared road space but mostly crushed quarry dust, it's a fine surface for a road bike, a little slower but you'll have no issues

• Advertisement

I cycled it about 18 months ago going from Maynooth to Mullingar and back. The surface is fine for a road bike (I think I averaged about 27.5km/h but thankfully there was next to nobody else on it at the time (obviously you'll slow for pedestrians).

Keep your eyes peeled for the signage when you meet roads as you are occasionally moved from one bank to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭ratracer

Can you travel from Maynooth into Dublin along the canal yet, or is it still better to leave it and rejoin the road from there to say, Lucan?

On a road bike? I would say no.

Maynooth to carton is ok. Carton to Louisa Be. Is poor. Louisa Bridge to Confey is meh and from Confey to Castleknock is effectively unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Maynooth to Confey was tendered recently and should be awarded soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

Edenderry to Tullamore on Grand Canal is complete, cycled it to today on a road bike great surface mixture of crushed stone and Tarmac no shared stretches with cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

This is awesome but everytime I hear about an old railway being turned into a Greenway my heart breaks a little. Couldn't we resurrect the railways?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

of all the "recently" closed railways this one probably has the least potential for reopening - Kingscourt is a tiny village. It was mainly used for hauling gypsum but I think there was only like one train a week by the time it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

they wouldn't be viable financially.

greenways bring far more tourists to an area than an empty train

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Just when it looked like Fingal were going to win the slow-bicycle race to finish their section of the Royal Canal Greenway, Kildare stage a last minute track-stand. As you say SB, FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FinnC

Must be the same story on the Lucan to Hazelhatch section on the Grand Canal.

I took a walk there this morning from 12th lock towards Hazelhatch and there doesn’t seem to be any work being done at all.

Some pics of the construction for The bridge in Athlone for the Galway - Dublin greenway

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭01Surveyor

Im hoping to Dublin - Sallins (by train)

Sallins - Robertstown on the canal

Robertstown - St Mullins on the Barrow Way (maybe only to Graiguenamanagh)

St Mullins (Graiguenamanagh) - Thomastown (road)

Thomatown - Heuston Train.

Anyone done this recently?

Am I crazy to be doing this in a day, Im 70 and doing 110-120km Sunday spins?

Are Komoot maps/directions reliable?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

I cycled from Dublin city centre to Sallins today on the grand canal. Not a sign of any work started on the two unpaved sections (12th lock to Hazelhatch and the few km into Sallins). Bumpy as hell but at least it was dry! They'll have to hurry up to get it all done by this September

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Anybody know about this section of the Connemara Greenway?

Was passing at Recess last week and looks like the section of Greenway near the lake is been worked on at Joyces Shop in Recess? Is it to connect up with the Ballinafad/Ballinahinch section of the Greenway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Waterford and Tipperary councils are now examining proposals to connect the hugely popular Waterford Greenway with the Suir Blueway - while the new Cork Greenway is expected to be opened by late 2022/early 2023.

It will also be the focus of discussions as to a future linkage to the Waterford and Tipperary walking routes.

A public consultation has now been launched about linking the Waterford Greenway with the Tipperary/Suir Blueway..... linking the Greenway and Blueway routes between Carrick-on-Suir and Kilmeaden.

The public consultation will operate between August 31 and October 7 - and members of the public are encouraged to make submissions, recommendations and comments about the proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33109484

There's one way of linking them... Not sure it'd be popular 😅

Not too sure what they have in mind; along the Suir would be nice but not sure if there is a tow path downstream of Carrick.

The regional road with a path to the side would be difficult to do and pretty sh1t.

Photo in article is probably best view of Greenway but one you only get from back road that goes underneath it.

EDIT: Just to add the Blueway and Greenway are pretty different. Blueway has two fairly grim non tourist town either end but has a fantastic piece of bike lane connecting them; the path along the river is really pretty and superior aesthetically than any other Greenway I've been on. I used to cycle Clonmel Kilsheelan return once a week at night for 5 aside throughout the year on my fixed gear and it was pretty close to cycling nirvana especially under a full moon.

It has drawbacks in terms of its width in places and river edge protection and very little user numbers/bike rentals etc.

The Waterford Greenway is pretty average as a route between Ballyvoile tunnel and Waterford, but has a few golden km between Dungarvan and tunnel with a nice town and beach on route.

Looking forward to seeing the proposals

Post edited by Large bottle small glass on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

First thing I thought of was the mountain between them. Did a route similar to yours on steel bike with full camping panniers, but what was even harder was the waterford clonmel leg. But i tend to avoid N and R roads so there's probably a flatter route.

Completely agree with everything you said about the ways. Much preferred blue way

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

for such a successful amenity and tourist attraction, this is a bizarre level of lack of maintenance:

• Advertisement

Mayo got things started but the GWG had a lot of problems and really stupid elements in its design. Thos3, and the lack of maintenance are really starting to hurt it now

Advertisement