Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenway Map

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Grass is hardly idea for anyone pushing a buggy/pram or using a wheelchair?

Especially after rain - which we get a lot of in Ireland.

I see nothing wrong with the posters suggestion. One side paved, the other side kept natural. This is used extensively on offical marked cycling routes in Europe. Its quite dull for a mountain biker or runner to be stuck on tarmac all the time. Nothing wrong with a natural surface, so long as it is easy to maintain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

no.8 wrote: »
    I see nothing wrong with the posters suggestion. One side paved, the other side kept natural. This is used extensively on offical marked cycling routes in Europe. Its quite dull for a mountain biker or runner to be stuck on tarmac all the time. Nothing wrong with a natural surface, so long as it is easy to maintain.

I understand this to mean the South Bank will remain grassed for walking on, while the North Bank is for cyclists and includes some roads.

You seem to have a different interpretation. ;)
    The cycle route will be on the north bank, largely making use of some existing quiet access roads while the south bank will remain grassed - better for walking and for hard-core cyclists!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I understand this to mean the South Bank will remain grassed for walking on, while the North Bank is for cyclists and includes some roads.

You seem to have a different interpretation. ;)

The south bank will remain grassed. The Greenway on the north bank will be open to walkers, cyclists and very limited local motor access (3 houses).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

So what's the current longest continuous stretch of Greenway?

• Advertisement

So what's the current longest continuous stretch of Greenway?

Writing this on the train back from Longford having cycled the Mullingar to Longford section of the Royal Canal Greenway. Technically, the 94km from Moyvalley in Kildare to Cloondara on the Shannon is completed but the signage in Longford could certainly do with some improvements. A fair bit of the Greenway makes use of quiet roads where the original towpath was upgraded to single lane access road years ago. I think I met 3 cars of which 2 were Waterways Ireland and about 8 cyclists over the 63km.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Writing this on the train back from Longford having cycled the Mullingar to Longford section of the Royal Canal Greenway. Technically, the 94km from Moyvalley in Kildare to Cloondara on the Shannon is completed but the signage in Longford could certainly do with some improvements. A fair bit of the Greenway makes use of quiet roads where the original towpath was upgraded to single lane access road years ago. I think I met 3 cars of which 2 were Waterways Ireland and about 8 cyclists over the 63km.

Did you go back to Longford on the road from Clondra or via the link back by Royal Cana + link or via the road (N%?) Agree re signage from Longford, we joined it at Longford Slashers but there's an earlier entrance we didn't find.

Presume you were on a road bike? How did you find the gates/barriers? We found ok for standard bikes but would be hopeless for cargo/mobility/recumbent/adult trikes etc. Was only as far as Ballymahon tho', hope to do the next section in 2019
    Btw, Was your train bike space free in Longford?

Did you go back to Longford on the road from Clondra or via the link back by Royal Cana + link or via the road (N%?) Agree re signage from Longford, we joined it at Longford Slashers but there's an earlier entrance we didn't find.

Presume you were on a road bike? How did you find the gates/barriers? We found ok for standard bikes but would be hopeless for cargo/mobility/recumbent/adult trikes etc. Was only as far as Ballymahon tho', hope to do the next section in 2019
    Btw, Was your train bike space free in Longford?

Greenway all the way. Didn't make it as far as Clondra. More details over at https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057747877&page=14

After the 20th one, the gates began to annoy me but they are still a lot better than the kissing gates still used in Dublin. There were only two bike spaces on the train and both were full as far as Maynooth heading down. I was able to prop the bike in the lobby till I got a space. Coming back from Longford both spaces were empty so no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

I'd love to cycle the whole thing. What's the best way to get from dublin with me bike to moyvalley?

Aside from cycling ofc!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Pedal!

No really, you can get on at North Strand and, apart from around 1km at the Deep Sinking, it's grass/gravel/road all the way. The Deep Sinking bit is passable on foot or on the bike with a bit of care.

• Advertisement

Check out the Royal Canal on a Road Bike thread linked above. There are three tricky sections - the Deep Sinking; Ferran's to Cloncurry and just before Moyvalley. All can be avoided if you wish by detouring onto the roads for a few km. The Royal Canal Greenway Facebook site includes suggested detours for the latter two. Keep an eye on the Royal Canal thread as the Moyvalley section is very close to being finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Quite looking forward to the section from Ferran's to Cloncurry to be completed. I will be able to cycle from my house to Longford and back without having to share with a single car.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Greenway all the way. Didn't make it as far as Clondra. More details over at https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057747877&page=14

After the 20th one, the gates began to annoy me but they are still a lot better than the kissing gates still used in Dublin. There were only two bike spaces on the train and both were full as far as Maynooth heading down. I was able to prop the bike in the lobby till I got a space. Coming back from Longford both spaces were empty so no problem.

Lucky you got to do that, I know someone who had problems keeping bike in lobby even tho they had booked a bike space. it was already taken by an earlier arrival and your ticket has no evidence of space being booked. I'd be in favour of charging a €5 for a bike and having an actual bike ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I had one occasion coming from Carlow on match day when the bike space was taken by a passenger sitting on the rack who refused to move. Getting off at Heuston, I noticed that the back of his jacket was covered in chain oil from the bike in the other rack...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Citizen Wolf

Excellent map. Well done.
    How do I add an image here on Boards to make an update to part of your map? (sorry, I'm not a techie).

Anyway, I guess I'll just describe it. The portion between the Dart crossing at Sutton (where it says Irish Rail car park) up along Strand Rd (on the sea-ward side of the road) to where it says Baldoyle parish - that's been completed for a number of years.

I see another spot - All along the Alfie Byrne Road - that's also completely segregated, and actually (little bit of history) as far as I know, it was the first completely segregated cycle lane in the country when it was built in the early 1980s. The bastards actually removed a chunk of it when they built the entrance to East Point Business Park. The cycle track used to go all the way along the east side of the Alfie Byrne road from Clontarf to the E Wall Rd. Now you have to cross over to the west side of the Alfie Byrne road at the entrance to Business Park, if you want to continue on the cycle-track. >:/

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Isnt that one in baldoyle just a footpath?
    I never like using it anyway, not marked and very bumpy

No, it's a cycle-track.

I had a look and its proposed to convert it from a promenade to a cycle track but its a footpath now.

Do you have confirmation from somewhere else?

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/sutton-malahide-greenway/chapter/2-route-link-options-sheet-1

Fair enough. That's a bit of a surprise as it's used as a cycle track by lots of people right now. Perhaps it's not official atm, but from the maps it's the exact same route that they plan to use as the Greenway cycle-track. Nothing will change on-the-ground, so effectively it's finished along that portion.

Thanks for the links to the maps, btw. Good to have.

Fair enough. That's a bit of a surprise as it's used as a cycle track by lots of people right now. Perhaps it's not official atm, but from the maps it's the exact same route that they plan to use as the Greenway cycle-track. Nothing will change on-the-ground, so effectively it's finished along that portion.

Thanks for the links to the maps, btw. Good to have.

I cycle it if i have the trailer and the kids going to the beach, otherwise I usually go the other road to sutton, via the elphin.

As a track it needs a few things, the surface is very bumpy and no clear segregation being the simple ones.

Less easy is the transitions at either end. At the baldoyle end its very messy and you are on footpath with a sharp corner. Unless you jump off at the library but thats a dodgy spot to try cross that road.

At the sutton end, you are just faced with a highish kerb drop into traffic on the narrow road.

I'm glad you prompted me to look it up and that they have some pipe dreams to do something with it :)

My solution would be to route behind the church and community centre at baldoyle to join the greenway at red arches and then behind the dart station at sutton straight onto Claremont and then its a quietway almost all the way to howth, just need to widen the trail beside the dart line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Excellent map. Well done.
    How do I add an image here on Boards to make an update to part of your map? (sorry, I'm not a techie).

Anyway, I guess I'll just describe it. The portion between the Dart crossing at Sutton (where it says Irish Rail car park) up along Strand Rd (on the sea-ward side of the road) to where it says Baldoyle parish - that's been completed for a number of years.

I see another spot - All along the Alfie Byrne Road - that's also completely segregated, and actually (little bit of history) as far as I know, it was the first completely segregated cycle lane in the country when it was built in the early 1980s. The bastards actually removed a chunk of it when they built the entrance to East Point Business Park. The cycle track used to go all the way along the east side of the Alfie Byrne road from Clontarf to the E Wall Rd. Now you have to cross over to the west side of the Alfie Byrne road at the entrance to Business Park, if you want to continue on the cycle-track. >:/

Thanks for that I didn't even look at the street view just the S2S routemap.... Ive updated the route now, A bit of creative thinking and a bridge over the M50 would make it possible to cycle through Eastpoint to east wall road...

Thanks for that I didn't even look at the street view just the S2S routemap.... Ive updated the route now, A bit of creative thinking and a bridge over the M50 would make it possible to cycle through Eastpoint to east wall road...

From memory, the original S2S route went along East Wall Road from Alfie Byrne Road to the East Link. For most of it, the footpath is wide enough to allow for a segregated cycle path. Going through Eastpoint would be quieter but getting over the M50 would be quite a challenge.

The most recent DCC plan is for two new pedestrian/cyclist bridges over the Liffey - one just to the west of the East Link that would facilitate the S2S and the other crossing from Wapping Street to Stoney Blood Road. Both bridges were originally to be further upstream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm confused what's it got to do with the M50

beauf wrote: »
    I'm confused what's it got to do with the M50

Rather bizarrely, the Port Tunnel forms part of the M50. Presumably, if the Eastern Bypass is ever built under/along Sandymount Strand, it will be part of the M50 too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I never noticed that before lol. Tks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it wouldn't have to go over the motorway if it went around the edge of Eastpoint, there's a footpath along the top of the reclaimed land already.

HSi7ig3.png

Any credible updates of late?

P.S. The map doesn't seem to load at this time (worked fine a few weeks ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

no.8 wrote: »
    Any credible updates of late?

P.S. The map doesn't seem to load at this time (worked fine a few weeks ago).

Hmm the links still work fine for me?

Bits and pieces, Michael Ring has announced a fair bit of funding, I added in the Ballinasloe to Shannon Harbour Canal and the planned route from there to Athlone, a proposed Cycle and Walking bridge over the Shannon at Shannon Harbour to link Grand Canal to EuroVelo2 beyond the Shannon (My proposal). I get a lot of my info and updates from the fantastic Greenways thread on the infrastructure board, and periodically monitoring the internet for updates.

Hmm the links still work fine for me?

Bits and pieces, Michael Ring has announced a fair bit of funding, I added in the Ballinasloe to Shannon Harbour Canal and the planned route from there to Athlone, a proposed Cycle and Walking bridge over the Shannon at Shannon Harbour to link Grand Canal to EuroVelo2 beyond the Shannon (My proposal). I get a lot of my info and updates from the fantastic Greenways thread on the infrastructure board, and periodically monitoring the internet for updates.

Thanks for the reply!
    Seems to be working now.

Let's hope we see more green and orange lines on this map by the end of 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Anyone done the Newry Canal Greenway? How much is it off road?

Advertisement