Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on insurance quote

Options
  • 30-01-2018 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hiya
    I’m 39 years old And recently moved to a country area, I’ve only got a provisional as I’ve never had to drive before. Lived in city center. I’ve been getting some quotes for 5/6k.
    Can anyone recommend an insurance company that will quote me less or advise on their own experiences. I’m sure I’m not the only one in my position
    Pls don’t bother replying if u have something smart to say as in “get ur full license and then it won’t be an issue” .. in order to get. A full license I have to be able to drive and have insurance in the car to prActise so I can pass the test.
    It’s only. 1.2 lit I’ve bought. But the quotes of over 5/6 r crazy. The likes of it’s for women.ie won’t even quote me or neither will boxymo as I’m too old.

Thanks I’m advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get a quote from each company in this list

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

I'm afraid it is as Biko said above... you'll have to call them each to see which one comes out with the best quote. There also might be a broker in your area that may be able to help. If you can, put someone with more experience down as a named driver, it usually helps.

Good luck with your research.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭tinkerbell2310

Nuw wrote: »
    I'm afraid it is as Biko said above... you'll have to call them each to see which one comes out with the best quote. There also might be a broker in your area that may be able to help. If you can, put someone with more experience down as a named driver, it usually helps.

Good luck with your research.

Thanks guy so

biko wrote: »

Thanks for this. I will call them each and I’ll update the thread to let he know what was the best quote. Munster insurance quoted me 4995

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Just out of curiosity , what car have you got ? I know you say 1.2 but things like year , make and model ?

Can be a big factor with age of the car

I find it strange some insurance companies won't quote on your age, unless it's just the combination of your age and type of licence and car mixture.

• Advertisement

Just out of curiosity , what car have you got ? I know you say 1.2 but things like year , make and model ?

Can be a big factor with age of the car

I find it strange some insurance companies won't quote on your age, unless it's just the combination of your age and type of licence and car mixture.

Hiya it’s a 2012 Ford Fiesta 1.279 or something along that. Ya I was shocked that it’s for women would not give me a quote. I read somewhere before it’s illegal for companies not to give a quote.. even if it’s 10k they have to give it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Hiya it’s a 2012 Ford Fiesta 1.279 or something along that. Ya I was shocked that it’s for women would not give me a quote. I read somewhere before it’s illegal for companies not to give a quote.. even if it’s 10k they have to give it.

Oh right , I thought it mightve been an old car that would explain the high quotes but that sounds the perfect learner car for car age etc.

Unfortunately it looks insurance has gone that way here,

I'm a 26 year old bus driver with 6/7 years no claims bonus on a 2 litre automatic diesel 2009 and I paid about 1,000 for this year

Dreading to see next year with all this insurance inflation.

Good luck with the learning any how !

Oh right , I thought it mightve been an old car that would explain the high quotes but that sounds the perfect learner car for car age etc.

I'm a 26 year old bus driver with 6/7 years no claims bonus on a 2 litre automatic diesel 2009 and I paid about 1,000 for this year

Thanks. Hopefully I’ll get some sort of half decent quote

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Is there anyone you can add to the policy? Normally adding a partner or a parent will bring it down a lot. Also, don't under value you car, some companies quote more for the cheaper cars so if you push the value up a bit, this can reduce the premium depending on the company

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    Is there anyone you can add to the policy? Normally adding a partner or a parent will bring it down a lot. Also, don't under value you car, some companies quote more for the cheaper cars so if you push the value up a bit, this can reduce the premium depending on the company

Unfortunately I have no one I can add. About 7 of the insurance companies have came back over online quote unable to give me a quote due to information I have given. Very annoying

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I have no one I can add. About 7 of the insurance companies have came back over online quote unable to give me a quote due to information I have given. Very annoying

The person doesn't even need to drive the car so even if they live in another part of the country, you can still add them (so long as you can get them to provide a copy of their licence).

Try liberty and note relatives on the policy (parents are best but any kind of relative helps so long as they have a full licence and aren't too young)

Also, call a broker. They will know what each insurer wants and how to get you the best quote

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    The person doesn't even need to drive the car so even if they live in another part of the country, you can still add them (so long as you can get them to provide a copy of their licence).

Try liberty and note relatives on the policy (parents are best but any kind of relative helps so long as they have a full licence and aren't too young)

Also, call a broker. They will know what each insurer wants and how to get you the best quote

Quick question cos I don’t understand this but what about multi car? I have my friend who said she would do multi car where I could be named under her policy and be able to drive my car. Is this the case or is there a lot involved. I know nothing about any of this kind of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tidyboii

This is another factor with high insurance rates. The job you work at can affect prices. Any job that involves driving, even though it basically means youll spend less time in your car, will be a help to overcharge you. Afaik the best job to put down is priest//doctor/factory worker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

biko wrote: »

Tinker bell , also try kennco ltd. they be give a good quote and also once you have a year down with them they will give one years ncb plus incentive discount to stay with them.

Quick question cos I don’t understand this but what about multi car? I have my friend who said she would do multi car where I could be named under her policy and be able to drive my car. Is this the case or is there a lot involved. I know nothing about any of this kind of thing

No, you can't get named on someone else's policy and drive a different car. If you are named on her policy, you can only drive her car. Only the policy holder gets driving of other vehicles.

If you could hold off on getting your own car and drive her car instead as a named driver, it would help. You could build up a year or 2 of driving experience and maybe pass your test then you would be in a much better position. It would restrict you but you need to be accompanied anyway so you are going to be restricted until you pass you test.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 137 ✭✭toyotafan

Try Liberty qoute online. They are great And I am sure you could get one around 2k or less. Put your parensts, btother, sister or wife ... etc so price will drop more. Put car with abit high value will help.
    Hiya
    I’m 39 years old And recently moved to a country area, I’ve only got a provisional as I’ve never had to drive before. Lived in city center. I’ve been getting some quotes for 5/6k.
    Can anyone recommend an insurance company that will quote me less or advise on their own experiences. I’m sure I’m not the only one in my position
    Pls don’t bother replying if u have something smart to say as in “get ur full license and then it won’t be an issue” .. in order to get. A full license I have to be able to drive and have insurance in the car to prActise so I can pass the test.
    It’s only. 1.2 lit I’ve bought. But the quotes of over 5/6 r crazy. The likes of it’s for women.ie won’t even quote me or neither will boxymo as I’m too old.

Thanks I’m advance

Advertisement