Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 AYCE SIM Setup

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Thanks for that confirmation.

While you have sim in phone, you should register for "my3" so you can top up easily in future.
    They text you to confirm ownership of sim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

givecredit wrote: »
    While you have sim in phone, you should register for "my3" so you can top up easily in future.
    They text you to confirm ownership of sim
    Have SIM from ages ago - no name, no email, nothing registered to it and NO PROBLEM... apart of bloody low/inconsistent speed on 4G, well.......... nothing to compare to your trouble Johnboy1951.
    You know what.........just for test, set you router to go for "3G only" and see whats the different.
    Currently running tests on B525 i got last night, and on "4G only" have "jumpy" 5-25 Mbps download(pretty same as on B593 I had for last 4-5 years), where "3G only" run almost smooth ~19 Mbps. There was time I had "jumpy" 20-50 on 4G, but its gone since Three take O2. A lot things messed up since(in my area anyway).
    In next 4-5 days should receive directional Yagi - will see how it goes then.

For you would be good to test another router, as per my3cents suggestion, to eliminate fault on D-Link, phone test also would show some...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Have SIM from ages ago - no name, no email, nothing registered to it and NO PROBLEM... apart of bloody low/inconsistent speed on 4G,
    The registration of Sim is not to improve speed, it's to make top up easier when hopefully he gets broadband working properly.

Sorry for misunderstanding you. Thought that was suggestion to resolve issue.
    givecredit wrote: »
    ....when hopefully ........
    Love this part most...:D. No offense meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thank you all for the help.

My path is clear ...... I need another router to ensure what I am seeing is not due to some hardware problem or unknown setting.

There seems not much point in topping up the present SIM without the option of a second router ...... although I might try again in a couple of weeks.

I am unclear ..... is there any indication that traffic shaping occurs differently depending on the APN setting used?
    3ireland.ie - private ip address or 3internet - public ip address

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

My path is clear ...... I need another router to ensure what I am seeing is not due to some hardware problem or unknown setting.

There seems not much point in topping up the present SIM without the option of a second router ...... although I might try again in a couple of weeks.

I am unclear ..... is there any indication that traffic shaping occurs differently depending on the APN setting used?
    3ireland.ie - private ip address or 3internet.ie - public ip address

You could use €5 of your remaining topup before AYCED runs out to buy a 500MB add-on. At least then you can continue testing for a bit.

btw just in case that isn't a typo, there is no 3internet.ie APN the APN is 3internet with no .ie on the end. If you use 3internet.ie you will default to the 3ireland.ie settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ArrBee

3ireland.ie - private ip address or 3internet - public ip address

Not sure about shaping differences between APNs, but when I 1st set up 3 home broadband I was on the "wrong" APN and it seemed to black list a few sites.
    I would ring up and get them to "fix it" and that would last a while (maybe til the next reboot/reconnection) and then sites would be blocked again.
    Changing the APN at my end eliminated that issue for me.

Conclusion: I reckon there is some difference to traffic depending on the APN, but how far that difference goes is unclear.

ArrBee wrote: »
    Not sure about shaping differences between APNs, but when I 1st set up 3 home broadband I was on the "wrong" APN and it seemed to black list a few sites.
    I would ring up and get them to "fix it" and that would last a while (maybe til the next reboot/reconnection) and then sites would be blocked again.
    Changing the APN at my end eliminated that issue for me.

Conclusion: I reckon there is some difference to traffic depending on the APN, but how far that difference goes is unclear.

There is a parental filter on the phone APN 3ireland.ie

There is an exception and thats because the filter wasn't always in place and some very old SIM cards aren't set up to use it, swap an old filter free SIM for a new SIM and the filter kicks in.

The 3internet APN for broadband isn't filtered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ArrBee

That explains it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

Just got my B315 router in the post today.

First thing I did, was put the 3pay sim into a phone, and waited for the messages to tell me that the sim was fully connected.
    Registered for My3.
    Then just logged into the router and away.

Worked first time, after I changed the password.

Just a few things,

APN is 3internet, and I haven't changed any settings in the router at all, apart from selecting only 3g/4g
    Got 4G atm, and working fine.
    Is the public IP address fine for gaming, streaming youtube/netflix, or switch the apn?

what i got from this thread earlier...
    (3ireland.ie is the phone APN and puts you on a 10.x.x.x internal network
    3internet is the broadband APN and gives you a public IP address)

• Advertisement

A public IP address is what is needed for a lot of internet games.

Cheers for confirming that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

my3cents wrote: »
    A public IP address is what is needed for a lot of internet games.

Less and less so.

Basically its needed for crappy consoles games where the devs are too cheap to pay for dedicated hosting and rely on players to do it for them. Most other games will NAT traverse ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Just bought a preowned Huawei B593 and have shoved a 3 sim in. It seems to be plug and play but are there any particular settings to make it better?

Just bought a preowned Huawei B593 and have shoved a 3 sim in. It seems to be plug and play but are there any particular settings to make it better?
    If struggle with low signal level, try different location in the house(different rooms, closer to windows, etc.), or introduce external antenna if avail(settings need to be changed for device to use external). Other than that won't make your speeds better - its 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

If struggle with low signal level, try different location in the house(different rooms, closer to windows, etc.), or introduce external antenna if avail(settings need to be changed for device to use external). Other than that won't make your speeds better - its 3
    Thanks, it came with 2 small external antennas to attach to the back, which I've done. Do I need to change settings to enable them?

Yes. Those are considered external.

You won't gain much with them, i was talking about something like this
    https://www.google.com/search?client...............

Just completed my first 28 days with the 4G LTE Router, and I used up around 350GB ~ wasn't restricted.

A few glitches - no lan speed, or very low speed. Turn off for 5 mins does the trick.
    The tricky one was, loss of 4G signal, and 3G provides next to no speed at all, forced 4G, ok after 10 minutes or so.

Few nights around 5-10 down 10 up, but my average is 28 down 10 up.
    Hit a max of 85 down 30 up one time :D

Advertisement