Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The latest ive heard is 'woke'

Ive no idea what it means

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Stheno wrote: »
    The latest ive heard is 'woke'

Ive no idea what it means

woke means aware ie awake to issues social injustices etc

woke means aware ie awake to issues social injustices etc

I got this the other day. Had no idea. More proof. Damn you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Woke can mean being aware of anything really. Its an often used terminology in relation to mind altering drugs for years.

It's particular funny when used in an Irish context.

"Took a bag of mushies and by sunrise I was woke ta'fuck like."

Spoken in a Blindboy Boatclub accent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

.ak wrote: »
    Woke can mean being aware of anything really. Its an often used terminology in relation to mind altering drugs for years.

It's particular funny when used in an Irish context.

"Took a bag of mushies and by sunrise I was woke ta'fuck like."

Spoken in a Blindboy Boatclub accent.

It appears it has a new meaning.

Starting new job finally

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    My 8 year olds favourite word these days is wrecked. Keeps telling me how he's going to wreck me at Fifa. It will be a sad day when that happens :pac:

Rekt

Rekt

Its disturbing you know this

Stheno wrote: »
    Its disturbing you know this

More disturbing than the mind altering drugs comment?

... Fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Every time AK mentions his arcane knowledge of drugs, I picture him like this

12e3bbef75c26b14c31e977e1dcebba3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

200w.gif

• Advertisement

More disturbing than the mind altering drugs comment?

... Fair.

Yes.

At least my generation can relate to the drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

200w.gif

For the record folks, that actually is ak. :D

molloyjh wrote: »
    For the record folks, that actually is ak. :D

Ah shame

I thought he was one of those bearded, skinny jeans and smashed avocado hipsters :(

Don't mind them.

In fairness I used to look like Vince Noir Noel Fielding

giphy.gif

Now adays I look more like Tony Harrison Noel Fielding

giphy.gif

Only I still have really, really, really ridiculously good hair.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Baltic in Dublin at the moment, saw a bit of snow there a few mins ago too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

awec wrote: »
    Presume open training session will go ahead tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

There's due to be worsening snow as the week progresses. It's bloody baltic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Was snowing as I walked over for lunch as well, doesn't seem to be sticking. Worried about tonight though.

Was snowing as I walked over for lunch as well, doesn't seem to be sticking. Worried about tonight though.
    I think the bulk of the snow is supposed to arrive tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Friday looks like the worst at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

I'm already clearing my schedule for Thursday and Friday. No point in having a book full of appointments when 90% of them will probably cancel due to the condions (plus the kids will be home due to school closures by then I imagine...cue the "sorry I can't make my appointment coz I've no one to mind the kids!)

Might clean out my attic those days.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I hear greystones has run out of bread. I fear for the future of mankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The office has already prepared an email for closing the building for 1-2 days later this week. If the weather hits as badly as some predictions, the city will go into meltdown.

Buy tayto

I am contemplating going on a beer run, just in case.

I feel that this week is where crypto currencies will really come into their own.

/me throws more money down the drain

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No sign of snow here, but its going down to -10 with the wind making it feel closer to -20.

Last time this particular weather pattern happened the result was the below:

21112.jpg

I need to get some fixtures for a baby's cot to replace ones that are pretty worn.

I need a long metal screw that's 5mm wide and 92cm long, only needs to have thread on the last cm or two at the end. And I need loops for these two screws to feed through that are 2.5cm "tall".

Any idea where I could get something like this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I need to get some fixtures for a baby's cot to replace ones that are pretty worn.

I need a long metal screw that's 5mm wide and 92cm long, only needs to have thread on the last cm or two at the end. And I need loops for these two screws to feed through that are 2.5cm "tall".

Any idea where I could get something like this?
    Are they screws or bolts? The difference being the coarseness of the thread and that screws usually taper to a point.

If it's a bolt, sounds like an M5 thread which is a 5mm outside diameter. Doesn't really matter if it's threaded all the way to the head or not I would suspect. Also what's the head type? Hex, Coach, Slotted, allen or cross-cut?

Bet you're sorry you asked. ;)

Edit: Here's a pic of a partially threaded hex-headed bolt.

F9173097-01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone ever been to a concert on their own?

I have an imagine dragons ticket for tonight (I had two, managed to sell one, but not the other). Can't decide whether to go on my own or not. I am a reasonable fan, but still?

Equally not sure if I'd have any luck selling it outside the venue... It's sold out? Anyone done that before?

errlloyd wrote: »
    Anyone ever been to a concert on their own?

I have an imagine dragons ticket for tonight (I had two, managed to sell one, but not the other). Can't decide whether to go on my own or not. I am a reasonable fan, but still?

Equally not sure if I'd have any luck selling it outside the venue... It's sold out? Anyone done that before?

You might go and meet someone who will change your life.

Or you might get stabbed.

You might go and meet someone who will change your life.

Or you might get stabbed.
    Both life changers if you think about it. :pac: :eek:

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Are they screws or bolts? The difference being the coarseness of the thread and that screws usually taper to a point.

If it's a bolt, sounds like an M5 thread which is a 5mm outside diameter. Doesn't really matter if it's threaded all the way to the head or not I would suspect. Also what's the head type? Hex, Coach, Slotted, allen or cross-cut?

Bet you're sorry you asked. ;)

Edit: Here's a pic of a partially threaded hex-headed bolt.

F9173097-01.jpg

Yea they're bolts.

The head doesn't matter I don't think. Just needs to be ~92cm long. And then I need two "loop" thingies that those bolts feed through and then get screwed on to a bit of wood. Excuse my drawing:

b2_download_file_by_id?fileId=4_z6177fca890d8c37157cc0814_f119eca2633be800f_d20180226_m181054_c001_v0001100_t0041

Yea they're bolts.

The head doesn't matter I don't think. Just needs to be ~92cm long. And then I need two "loop" thingies that those bolts feed through and then get screwed on to a bit of wood. Excuse my drawing:

b2_download_file_by_id?fileId=4_z6177fca890d8c37157cc0814_f119eca2633be800f_d20180226_m181054_c001_v0001100_t0041

That looks like it could be a specifically manufactured part. Not something you'd buy off the shelf. You might find a hinge that could be substituted, but it would be difficult. Something like a gate loop and pin type hinge but in reverse - where the loop is on the plate rather than the pin:

fitting-gate-hinges.jpg

If the existing part is broken, could it be welded? Is there enough metal there for a successful weld?

• Advertisement

That looks like it could be a specifically manufactured part. Not something you'd buy off the shelf. You might find a hinge that could be substituted, but it would be difficult. Something like a gate loop and pin type hinge but in reverse - where the loop is on the plate rather than the pin:

fitting-gate-hinges.jpg

If the existing part is broken, could it be welded? Is there enough metal there for a successful weld?
    It's not broken, just old and manky. I wonder if I could get it restored or something.

It's not broken, just old and manky. I wonder if I could get it restored or something.
    If it's metal, you could throw it in the dishwasher and that would take some of the mank off. If by manky, you mean dirty. Otherwise, a wire brush attachment on a drill would clean it up and you could paint it then.

If it's metal, you could throw it in the dishwasher and that would take some of the mank off. If by manky, you mean dirty. Otherwise, a wire brush attachment on a drill would clean it up and you could paint it then.

Soak it in cillit bang?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

fitting-gate-hinges.jpg

Pro life tip: remove baby before welding.

Manky as in rusty and dirty. I am sure there must be people who "restore" metallic fittings?

It's my dad's cot from when he was a child, that was also my cot, that we want to use again for our wee girl. The wood is perfect, the metal fixtures are a bit worn though.

• Advertisement

Manky as in rusty and dirty. I am sure there must be people who "restore" metallic fittings?

It's my dad's cot from when he was a child, that was also my cot, that we want to use again for our wee girl. The wood is perfect, the metal fixtures are a bit worn though.

This might sound a bit mental but what about phoning the likes of wheel wizards who do alloy repairs and seeing if they could help?

I got the oh new alloys for Christmas from them after originally thinking I'd get his wheels refurbed they are a pleasure to deal with

Wire brush attachment on a drill will do it so. Take the pieces off the cot and put them in a vice or get someone to hold them with a pliers or vice grips while you buzz the rust off.

Finishing can be anything from paint to plating. You can get them chrome or zinc plated. I'd advise zinc as it;s easier to get done. Chrome plating requires a hell of a lot of polishing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

There's a metal polish you can buy from motor factors (can't remember the name). The motorbike lads use it to polish the exhausts on the bikes. Brings them up like new. Cheap way to clean up the metal.

www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-cleaning/shampoo-polish-wax/autosol-metal-polish-75g

Nice sentiment as well though with the cot.

I've heard it claimed that a bottle of coke will clean up manky metal. Just leave it sitting in it for a while. No idea whether or not it works.

dregin wrote: »
    I've heard it claimed that a bottle of coke will clean up manky metal. Just leave it sitting in it for a while. No idea whether or not it works.
    Yeah, it will de-oxidise metal. But bad rust may be beyond the Coke treatment. Especially if it's plated metal and the plating is lifting.

If we don't get snow here I'll be sad. :(

If we don't get snow here I'll be sad. :(

Look outside!!

Lads if you're not confident driving in poor conditions then stay at home. That was a treacherous drive into work!! Saw a lad in a bmw jump on the brakes and slide into a large amount of snow and get bogged (rear wheel drive is a disaster in this weather).
    Apparently it's to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Up since 5.00 thanks to my old friend insomnia.
    Consoled by watching the snowfall here in Waterford.
    My 8 year old should be waking up any minute...this'll be her first proper experience of snow here.
    Combined with no school, I'm looking forward to seeing how big her grin gets!

Everything closed in South Dublin, official snow day.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement