Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Moving house lads. Need broadband. Eir or Sky? Both the same price but free Eir sports with Eir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Stheno wrote: »
    Moving house lads. Need broadband. Eir or Sky? Both the same price but free Eir sports with Eir

By September Eir Sports probably won't have anything worth watching other than the world cup. It looks set to lose the Pro14 and Heineken Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

troyzer wrote: »
    By September Eir Sports probably won't have anything worth watching other than the world cup. It looks set to lose the Pro14 and Heineken Cup.

Wait, why is Eirsport losing the Pro14 - they signed a 3 year deal last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Sky. Eir tv interface is awful.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sullivlo wrote: »
    Sky. Eir tv interface is awful.

Ah this is just broadband. Sky tv are installing in the new house for free as we've been with them so long.

• Advertisement

Do you get the eir sport channel through sky tv? Seems like a no brainer to go for the freebie

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Inlaws moved from sky to eir. They say the quality of support has plummeted. Unless you're getting fibre from eir, avoid.

Do you get the eir sport channel through sky tv? Seems like a no brainer to go for the freebie

No it's extra. I was thinking it's a no brainer as well we've eir for bro asdband on a business contract in our current place and have had very few issues in 10 years.

Both of us work from home regularly and do a lot of Skype calls (up to four hours a day) so unless sky was amazing I'd stick with Eir

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Someone sent it on to me, I hadn't realised at the time that the account was churning our videos like that. I still wouldn't believe that the comments are legitimate from different Irish people with one account each though.

if you were to read Donald Trumps Tweets without knowing who's account it was, you'd probably assume it's a bot. There is a lot of crazy out there and even more stupid.

dregin wrote: »
    Inlaws moved from sky to eir. They say the quality of support has plummeted. Unless you're getting fibre from eir, avoid.

It's fibre and both of us have mobile broadband with our work akso

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

errlloyd wrote: »
    troyzer wrote: »

Wait, why is Eirsport losing the Pro14 - they signed a 3 year deal last year?

Not the Pro14 sorry, my bad. Just the Heineken Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Ah this is just broadband. Sky tv are installing in the new house for free as we've been with them so long.

Same service pretty much. All runs on the same Fibre/DSL infrastructure.

Eir customer support is brutal as it's outsourced, but they also control the lines. If you've a line fault you'll get an eir engineer out, and in general Eir tend to prioritise their own customers. Although BT and Sky will tell you different but it's true.

Have a look at Vodafone, they tend to be a little cheaper than both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I switched to Eir last year for all the rugby. Their broadband is brutal compared to Virgins. WiFi is atrocious and my wired desktop's Internet drops for no reason far too often. Fairly sure I'm going to switch again when my 18 months are up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

stephen_n wrote: »
    if you were to read Donald Trumps Tweets without knowing who's account it was, you'd probably assume it's a bot. There is a lot of crazy out there and even more stupid.

Yes. And those crazy people write the content that is being posted by bots

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Synode wrote: »
    I switched to Eir last year for all the rugby. Their broadband is brutal compared to Virgins. WiFi is atrocious and my wired desktop's Internet drops for no reason far too often. Fairly sure I'm going to switch again when my 18 months are up

I’d been having that issue too, but did the obvious thing lately that I’d never bothered trying (because it never worked before) and ran the diagnostic. There was some IP address issue that the diagnostic resolved and it’s all good since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It's worth noting that Eir and Sky fibre broadband will probably be identical. (unless it's eir gigabyt). Same cable, same ****ty copper to the exchange, same throttling. So if the price is the same your choice is free pro14 and world cup with eir. Or better customer service with sky.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

errlloyd wrote: »
    It's worth noting that Eir and Sky fibre broadband will probably be identical. (unless it's eir gigabyt). Same cable, same ****ty copper to the exchange, same throttling. So if the price is the same your choice is free pro14 and world cup with eir. Or better customer service with sky.

I should have been clearer. I meant their gigabit offering (I'm reading the lower case 'mb' on the linked site as bit, not bytes as you say, but I could be wrong) - https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Synode wrote: »

I've signed up recently to eir, only required a 12 month contract, so might plan on changing before the price is hiked up post-12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It takes a special breed to like musicals. I'd rather have my ears chopped off.

There's no valid excuse for replacing a dialogue scene with a song.

Go see Blood Brothers the next time it's on near you. I guarantee you'll be converted.

• Advertisement

Go see Blood Brothers the next time it's on near you. I guarantee you'll be converted.

Definitely. Wouldn't be a huge musical fan either, but Blood Brothers is brilliant

Anyone used any of those sleep tracking apps? Or are they just BS?

Anyone used any of those sleep tracking apps? Or are they just BS?

Yeah I find them handy, I can track where Thomond is sleeping any night of the week.

Yeah I find them handy, I can track where Thomond is sleeping any night of the week.

Some lovely hedges he's chosen over the past while in fairness.

I mean those sleep cycle tracking things. Some sh1te about 'light sleep' etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The fitbit one seems to be fairly good, but admittedly I'm basing that on my own anecdotal evidence, but if you have one, recommended. I tried one or two just on the phone before I got it, but they seemed ... open to inaccuracies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The fitbit one seems to be fairly good, but admittedly I'm basing that on my own anecdotal evidence, but if you have one, recommended. I tried one or two just on the phone before I got it, but they seemed ... open to inaccuracies.

How could a phone measure your sleep? :confused:

Zzippy wrote: »

You're supposed to leave it down on your mattress near your head and it uses the mic and other sensors to monitor your breathing and any movements etc.

Absolutely no idea if it works though, I'd imagine there's a heap of things that would cause it to not get correct readings.

I look at my post count and I feel like I sleep in Boards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I look at my post count and I feel like I sleep in Boards...

To the rest of us it just feels like you never sleep... jeez! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You're supposed to leave it down on your mattress near your head and it uses the mic and other sensors to monitor your breathing and any movements etc.

Absolutely no idea if it works though, I'd imagine there's a heap of things that would cause it to not get correct readings.

I get all the data it collects but what do you actually do with it? If you have a habit of going into a light sleep at 4.30 a.m the phone can't do anything about that.

mfceiling wrote: »
    I get all the data it collects but what do you actually do with it? If you have a habit of going into a light sleep at 4.30 a.m the phone can't do anything about that.

It's supposed to detect if you're in a light sleep within half an hour of your alarm and wake you up or something.

I don't understand all this stuff about light sleep and circadian rhythms, I just know my sleep cycle's in a heap lately.

Zzippy wrote: »

Apple Watch doesn’t have a sleep tracker in it, so it uses third party apps on the phone. Tried several of them, all crap. The Apple Watch wasn’t mine btw :o I borrowed one to try track my sleep (waste of time).

The Fitbit seems fairly accurate, though as it uses movement it can be a thrown if like me you jump and twitch when going asleep overly tired. Most weekends when I get in from work it has me awake for about 2 hours, even though I’ve no recollection of being awake long after getting in.

It can help you identify patterns that disturb your sleep. Say eating late at night, watching tv or whatever. You need to achieve certain percentages of deep sleep and REM sleep every night. If you’re not doing this then you need to figure out what you can change i.e. no caffeine after 5 o’clock, no TV or phones in your room. It gathers data, it doesn’t fix anything for you though :)

Can ye recommend a particular app?

This whole data breach from the hospitals of the information of women who've either enquired about abortion services or have had them carried out, is absolutely fúcking insane. There's people out there pretending to be medical professionals, contacting women and trying to lure them into false locations, and there seems to be a seriously blasé attitude to it from the government and the gardai.

• Advertisement

This whole data breach from the hospitals of the information of women who've either enquired about abortion services or have had them carried out, is absolutely fúcking insane. There's people out there pretending to be medical professionals, contacting women and trying to lure them into false locations, and there seems to be a seriously blasttitude to it from the government and the gardai.

It's not a major surprise to me sadly. There's some truly disturbed people out there, who think their actions are good.

It's not a major surprise to me sadly. There's some truly disturbed people out there, who think their actions are good.

The surprise is that there's actual medical professionals or someone who works with the data who have to be deliberately leaking it. I think more disturbing.

The surprise is that there's actual medical professionals or someone who works with the data who have to be deliberately leaking it. I think more disturbing.

Yeah for me the most scary/disturbing part of it is that there's someone employed by our national health service who is handing sensitive data like this over to someone who's using it for these methods.

And it's not the first occasion either, it happened out in Drogheda where the details of the first abortion procedure to be performed at the hospital were leaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

This whole data breach from the hospitals of the information of women who've either enquired about abortion services or have had them carried out, is absolutely fúcking insane. There's people out there pretending to be medical professionals, contacting women and trying to lure them into false locations, and there seems to be a seriously blasé attitude to it from the government and the gardai.

The Blase attitude you refer to is sadly endemic here and as a result there are zero ramifications for failing to uphold professional ethics and individual responsibility. The gardai are the last people to be looking to for a moral compass. You can include the failing judiciary with their separation of powers claptrap and their colonial wigs. While the british parliament is peopled by uneducated fops ( Eton doesnt count as education ) who who spend most of their time with their feet in their mouths, at least resignations actually happen when they fail to uphold standards , unlike the political classes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

But its the arrogance that people think that their ideology (based on religious beliefs or otherwise) should supersede someone else's that annoys me more than anything.

• Advertisement

Don’t think the government or HSE have been blasé tbh. They are investigating which is probably the correct thing to do. Wait till the facts emerge and then respond. As with the case in the Coombe, things aren’t always exactly how the first present.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I find it abhorrent but I do not find it surprising in the slightest. 40 general practitioners walked out of a GP conference in December. There is a vocal minority within the medical field who objected to the abortion services proposal.

There would be a significant number of staff who would have access to records and not just those who work purely on the medical side of things. We're told repeatedly how archaic the Irish medical system is and still hasn't transitioned to electronic. All it takes is one person to be able to read and take a snap/photocopy of a document. It will be near impossible to catch them, I'd imagine.

As with the case in the Coombe, things aren’t always exactly how the first present.

Whatever happened there in the end? Two TDs bring some hefty allegations forward in the Dáíl, the board completely refutes it and then nothing but silence since?

Don’t think the government or HSE have been blasé tbh. They are investigating which is probably the correct thing to do. Wait till the facts emerge and then respond. As with the case in the Coombe, things aren’t always exactly how the first present.

Yes but the issue at hand isn't just the fact the data has leaked, it's that someone's actually acting on the data and contacting women to try and lure them to different locations under the pretence that they're a legitimate abortion clinic.

A HSE investigation could take matter of months (especially given the current issues with strikes/other ongoing investigations like the cervical check scandal).
    Buer wrote: »
    Whatever happened there in the end? Two TDs bring some hefty allegations forward in the Dáíl, the board completely refutes it and then nothing but silence since?

Yeah nothings come out since the board refuted it a couple of weeks ago, radio silence.

It will be near impossible to catch them, I'd imagine.

Most likely, yeah.

If someone is caught, then I hope that for once there's some sort of professional accountability and that person or persons never works in that field again.

... and has their name leaked. Goose, gander, etc.

Most likely, yeah.

If someone is caught, then I hope that for once there's some sort of professional accountability and that person or persons never works in that field again.

I should have added that it will be hard to catch them unless the main perpetrator volunteers the information which is a possibility.

They didn’t refute the allegations, they just said it wasn’t the board that makes those decisions. The rest is is still under investigation by both the hospital and HSE.
    Yes but the issue at hand isn't just the fact the data has leaked, it's that someone's actually acting on the data and contacting women to try and lure them to different locations under the pretence that they're a legitimate abortion clinic.

A HSE investigation could take matter of months (especially given the current issues with strikes/other ongoing investigations like the cervical check scandal).

Yeah nothings come out since the board refuted it a couple of weeks ago, radio silence.
    It has to be established first where the data came from. So far all that is known is the woman was contacted by a number the HSE has warned about. She didn’t answer and the well woman say they are confident they didn’t have a data breach. So that suggests the hospital/HSE. Without investigation though what can be done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Tinder?

Tinder?

you spelt Grindr wrong

Apps IMO are useless, you need something actually connected to you. Most of the fitness trackers contain this function. Fitbit is obviously the best, but if you don't fancy shelling out €150 (understandable). There are more entry level ones that are affordable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement