Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

stephen_n wrote: »
    They didn’t refute the allegations, they just said it wasn’t the board that makes those decisions. The rest is is still under investigation by both the hospital and HSE.

I should clarify, the allegation made in the Dáil was that the woman was approved by two medical professionals for an abortion but the board of the Coombe overruled them.

Coppinger:
    “One doctor, her consultant and another consultant was brought in who said yes, it is a fatal foetal abnormality but a week later, it went to the board, and the board over-ruled that,”

Coombe statement:
    “The Board of Guardians and Directors of the Coombe Women & Infants University Hospital has no role whatsoever in certifying a termination of pregnancy,” a statement said.

“Insofar as recent media coverage has stated that the board has had a role in determining whether or not the criteria for certification have been met, those reports are untrue.”

So, whilst it would appear the abortion did not proceed, the details are very unclear and the details that were claimed in the Dáil were almost certainly inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Buer wrote: »
    I should clarify, the allegation made in the Dáil was that the woman was approved by two medical professionals for an abortion but the board of the Coombe overruled them.

Coppinger:

Coombe statement:

So, whilst it would appear the abortion did not proceed, the details are very unclear and the details that were claimed in the Dáil were almost certainly inaccurate.

Given the source in the Dail that's hardly surprising. However it doesn't seem to be disputed that the woman was approved by two medical professionals and the abortion didn't proceed. That's what is being investigated I think. Which is still a very serious issue.

It's that which makes me think it's better that these things are investigated properly (as long as the findings are fully public), before the lynch mob comes out.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Apps IMO are useless, you need something actually connected to you. Most of the fitness trackers contain this function. Fitbit is obviously the best, but if you don't fancy shelling out €150 (understandable). There are more entry level ones that are affordable.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/activity-trackers/mi-band-3-3679574/

the xiaomi mi band 3 is an excellent budget alternative

im a huge xiaomi fan

sydthebeat wrote: »

im a huge xiaomi fan

That's pretty amazing for that price, it's great what you can achieve when you steal ip :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Is there a boards.ie fantasy league? Can't see a thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Sangre wrote: »
    superbru. people who played last year and/or in 'boards.ie' club on superbru have invites. Search on site for boards.ie and you'll find it

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

That's pretty amazing for that price, it's great what you can achieve when you steal ip :pac:

you can get for as low as €25 on aliexpress

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Sangre wrote: »
    The Irish Times one is utterly bizarre. No limit on players per country, no selecting the kicker, so I've 3 in my team.

dregin wrote: »
    The Irish Times one is utterly bizarre. No limit on players per country, no selecting the kicker, so I've 3 in my team.

Up to last year it didn’t have positions, just forwards and backs. It’s getting there, though I thought last year they’d limited it to 5 per country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Up to last year it didn’t have positions, just forwards and backs. It’s getting there, though I thought last year they’d limited it to 5 per country.

The last two years they've had positions and a budget.

The year before last it was mathematically impossible to pick an overbudget team, so the budget was just for show effectively.

Last year it was almost mathematically impossible to pick an under budget team that were all starting, until they got a rake of complaints and changed it just in time for the start of the season.

This year they have made it a free for all. I like it the most, because the stats you get points for are transparent. Fantasy Rugger etc magic would happen and a player would get a score. But IT are really all over the place. Not sure how you can select 3 goal kickers though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

sydthebeat wrote: »

im a huge xiaomi fan

Wow!! I was wondering if this was any good. It's being bought now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

mfceiling wrote: »
    Wow!! I was wondering if this was any good. It's being bought now!!

I got one too.

errlloyd wrote: »

This year they have made it a free for all. I like it the most, because the stats you get points for are transparent. Fantasy Rugger etc magic would happen and a player would get a score. But IT are really all over the place. Not sure how you can select 3 goal kickers though.

I have Para and Sexton in mine if I picked 1/2p (though he's not fit) I'd have 3 kickers (assuming Para is kicking).

It's strange though I picked Ringrose and he has an average score of 0, so does Para but I assume that's cause he didn't feature at all last year.

I have Para and Sexton in mine if I picked 1/2p (though he's not fit) I'd have 3 kickers (assuming Para is kicking).

It's strange though I picked Ringrose and he has an average score of 0, so does Para but I assume that's cause he didn't feature at all last year.

I've the three of em and Hogg for the craic.

Also, no harm to him, but Caolain Blade is not 600k better tham Morgan Para. They're having a banana.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Apps IMO are useless, you need something actually connected to you. Most of the fitness trackers contain this function. Fitbit is obviously the best, but if you don't fancy shelling out €150 (understandable). There are more entry level ones that are affordable.

The Nokia Withings ones are fantastic. They just look like quite nice analog watches but with all the functionality.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    The Nokia Withings ones are fantastic. They just look like quite nice analog watches but with all the functionality.

A lot of watches are nor incorporating fitness trackers, so you can get a nice looking watch that’s functional. Though most of the one’s I saw were €300+

Starting off my Six Nations day with the following:

Buckwheat & banana pancakes served with Greek yogurt, fresh berries, pomegranate, toasted pecan nuts, honey and almond butter.

May you all enjoy a pleasant day.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Buckwheat & banana pancakes served with Greek yogurt, fresh berries, pomegranate, toasted pecan nuts, honey and almond butter.

That’ll keep you regular all right.

Better than bacon & cabbage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Someday I too hope to cook a recipe from The Irish Times Saturday magazine

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Someday I too hope to cook a recipe from The Irish Times Saturday magazine

Me? Cook?
    I get one of the hoi polloi to cook it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

awec wrote: »
    That’ll keep you regular all right.

Thomond watching the game later...

Man%20watching%20TV%20while%20on%20the%20toilet.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I went to Dillinger's in Ranelagh...

I had a packet of chocolate buttons and a bottle of club orange.

#thuglife

I went to Dillinger's in Ranelagh...

Top choice. Their Huevos Rancheros is class. Had that to settle the nerves before popping the question to the missus in the park beyond Nick's coffee. Highly recommended.

Had 4 enchiladas myself. Heading over early... not sure how long they'll last me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Top choice. Their Huevos Rancheros is class. Had that to settle the nerves before popping the question to the missus in the park beyond Nick's coffee. Highly recommended.

Each to their own. I had a bottle of whiskey... :P

Could you be anymore hipster?

Superbowl tonight! I can't see past the Patriots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Does anyone have any idea what professional rugby players score on the beep test?

I'm coming back from a fractured clavicle and an MCL sprain. Nevertheless, in spite of these excuses, my current efforts are pretty pitiful (just about reaching level 7, although the knee is definitely hindering me - Itoje will be out minimum 5 to 6 weeks if my experience is anything to go by). I've set myself the goal of level 9 to 10, which for a 40 year old amateur sportsman would be respectable.

The top level is 21, but I've heard impossible to obtain, Sebastien Coe got to 17, and from what I've found on the net, Neil Back and Martin Johnson were level 13.

Historically, Richie McCaw would always win the AB one, but they do the yo-yo test, which is a variant, and he would be in the 19s. I could easily imagine Josh VDF having the best Irish result.

Does anyone know what your average pro rugby player would achieve?

• Advertisement

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea what professional rugby players score on the beep test?

I'm coming back from a fractured clavicle and an MCL sprain. Nevertheless, in spite of these excuses, my current efforts are pretty pitiful (just about reaching level 7, although the knee is definitely hindering me - Itoje will be out minimum 5 to 6 weeks if my experience is anything to go by). I've set myself the goal of level 9 to 10, which for a 40 year old amateur sportsman would be respectable.

The top level is 21, but I've heard impossible to obtain, Sebastien Coe got to 17, and from what I've found on the net, Neil Back and Martin Johnson were level 13.

Historically, Richie McCaw would always win the AB one, but they do the yo-yo test, which is a variant, and he would be in the 19s. I could easily imagine Josh VDF having the best Irish result.

Does anyone know what your average pro rugby player would achieve?
    Neil Back was 17 apparently https://www.topendsports.com/testing/records/shuttle-run.htm

Don’t think it’s used as much anymore.

There are so many variations on it I am not sure you can really compare scores.

Not sure if I'd believe any rugby player could get a 17 on the standard beep.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There are so many variations on it I am not sure you can really compare scores.

Not sure if I'd believe any rugby player could get a 17 on the standard beep.

POM beat the beep test yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

POM beat the beep test yesterday.

Sinckler: I can
    POM: You can’t

That’s what I heard anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Crazy, Dillingers, Nicks and that park are all pretty special between me and my OH too. Congrats anyway (if it was recent, even if not, congrats anyway)

This is a bizarre Superbowl. Defenses are utterly dominant in a league where offenses are putting up record scores. 3-3 in the fourth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭BAM! uhavechlamydia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That's the way the current climate is. Just look at the Liam Neeson situation.

Any white van men on here?

Do all "normal" vans have a height under 2metres?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Define normal white van. If it's something like a Kangoo or Berlingo then yes.

If it's something like a Transit or Sprinter then no.

Some of the "bigger" vans are under 2 metres (transits, transporters etc)... You'd want to check it first though...You'll see some of those vans in underground car parks. The higher roof models like Sprinters, Crafters, Luton Box vans are a good bit bigger.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Some of the "bigger" vans are under 2 metres (transits, transporters etc)... You'd want to check it first though...You'll see some of those vans in underground car parks. The higher roof models like Sprinters, Crafters, Luton Box vans are a good bit bigger.

Even with the Transits you'd need to check, because they've got SWB which is shorter than the LWB by nearly two foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

What are the in between rounds changes like in fantasy leagues other than the Irish times one? Myself and a few mates have always done the times one for a casual laugh but every one of us has ended up with more players dropped/injured than there are trades available this year after round 1...

Discriminating against African American van men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

How do you put someone on the ignore list on mobile?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭BAM! uhavechlamydia

troyzer wrote: »

You don't reply to them....

You have to switch to the desktop site. Buttons down the bottom of the mobile one.

You have to switch to the desktop site. Buttons down the bottom of the mobile one.

Got it, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Sadly you can't ignore yourself though...

The Denver Broncos have just traded for Joe Flacco.

Which now means that they have two ****ty Quarterbacks on the roster for a combined salary of just under $50m. Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement