Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Yeah, I think people just misunderstand the concept.

They didn’t just sit there for over a month listening to the same statement on repeat.

I'm open to correction but none of the articles have alluded to any other evidence.

It's also hard to imagine what evidence there could be, it happened over 20 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

troyzer wrote: »
    I'm open to correction but none of the articles have alluded to any other evidence.

It's also hard to imagine what evidence there could be, it happened over 20 years ago.

Ok

Ok

Alright, apologies if this is a sensitive topic for some. A close family member was affected by something similar and I probably shouldn't have brought it up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

troyzer wrote: »

There would be circumstantial evidence that could be used to corroborate as many statements of the witness as possible. A lot of crimes get prosecuted without the "hard" evidence people might expect.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    There would be circumstantial evidence that could be used to corroborate as many statements of the witness as possible. A lot of crimes get prosecuted without the "hard" evidence people might expect.

Hmm, interesting. I suppose I'm coming at this from the persective of seeing other cases with loads of hard evidence go down in flames in different legal regimes.

I work in science as well so I'm coming at it from a different persective when it comes to evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Personally I'd say Nice, you've day trips to Antibes/Juan Les Pins or Cannes further west, and then Monaco to the east.

Nice is a good spot to base oneself in relation to surrounding areas and transport links. But I have to say, I was very underwhelmed with Nice itself. I found it to be extremely bland. I feel if someone was dropped in the middle of Nice without being told where they were, there's no guarantee that they'd realise they were in France, let alone Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Thinking of getting a hotel or AirBnB down the south of France for a week or two in September, myself and the girlfriend.

Anyone got any recommendations for what city to go for/in around?

I've heard Marseilles is a bit dodge, but any one spent much time down around that area?
    Stay in Aix-en-Provence. I can't recommend it enough and it's a half hour bus from Marseille. Definitely go to Marseille for a day trip or two to the Vieux Port and Notre Dame de la Garde.

You've the pick of places to go on the Cote d'Azur and surrounds really. Avignon is worth a day trip as well.

If you're going to Aix, Hotel Negrecoste might be worth a shout. It's on the Cours Mirabeau which is the main street of the town. It was an old hotel when I stayed there five years ago but a look on the website suggests it's been renovated since.

If you end up around that region, drop me a PM if you need to know anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Buer wrote: »
    Nice is a good spot to base oneself in relation to surrounding areas and transport links. But I have to say, I was very underwhelmed with Nice itself. I found it to be extremely bland. I feel if someone was dropped in the middle of Nice without being told where they were, there's no guarantee that they'd realise they were in France, let alone Nice.

Yeah basically Nice is a misnomer.

Savage Supermarkets though if you want every sort of alcohol known to man at cheap prices.

Think Montpellier is nicer myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Buer wrote: »
    swiwi_ wrote: »
    Yeah basically Nice is a misnomer.

Savage Supermarkets though if you want every sort of alcohol known to man at cheap prices.

Think Montpellier is nicer myself.

Yeah I guess I can see where you're coming from, I stayed further out in Cagnes Sur Mer with family every year for a few years and found Nice to be nice enough.

Depends what you're looking for I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Depends what you're looking for I guess.

I realise you weren't asking, but generally, looking for a nice relaxing holiday, not go too crazy visiting places, chill in the evenings with some wine and cheese with decent weather and surroundings.

Not that we won't be going around visiting places just it won't be an action packed city break where we have to see everything on offer in a short time period. Might actually divvy it up, one week near/in one city, another somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ah lads I thought Nice was very "nice". Good to base yourself there though and head off to Vence, St Paul de Vence, Moulins, Cagnes sur Mer, Tourettes Sur Loup etc. Even a train ride down to Monaco or Menton is a great way to spend a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

It’s like a summers day out there at the moment. If I’d known it was going to be this nice I’d have gotten some booze and meat for the BBQ!

molloyjh wrote: »
    It’s like a summers day out there at the moment. If I’d known it was going to be this nice I’d have gotten some booze and meat for the BBQ!

It's stunning out. Shorts and tshirts weather.

I find it almost as unnerving as I do pleasant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I can see the college bar from my office window. B@stards sitting out having beers when they should be in lectures. Bah humbug!

This date 15 years ago Kiwi became Swiwi. It was -4, sunny but white from snow, and in typical Swiss style we got 2 sides of the family through the photos in half an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

This date 15 years ago Kiwi became Swiwi. It was -4, sunny but white from snow, and in typical Swiss style we got 2 sides of the family through the photos in half an hour.

Never got the 'sw' part of your nick. Happy anniversary!

You'd be out on parole by now for murder. Happy anniversary!

Zzippy wrote: »

You'd be out on parole by now for murder. Happy anniversary!

In Ireland? You'd have been out by now, released, committed another murder and be halfway through your second sentence by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

You should have gotten married the following day. Then you'd only have to get her a gift every 4 years.

Revealed: Facebook’s global lobbying against data privacy laws

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/mar/02/facebook-global-lobbying-campaign-against-data-privacy-laws-investment?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Enda Kenny happy enough to side with Facebook's desire to bypass those pesky privacy laws we have in Europe.
    The more I hear about Fakebook the happier I am that I deleted my account years ago. How much more information do they need on people?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I know someone in the data commissioners office and they have said they would never have a FB account :)

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I know someone in the data commissioners office and they have said they would never have a FB account :)

I wouldn't doubt it. I read a few weeks ago that they have "predictive algorithms" that are so accurate they can pinpoint where and when the next high school massacre will take place based on user behaviour!! Of course that cannot be shared with the relevant authorities....The irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

sydthebeat wrote: »

Yeah but that's the data commissioner. They're always going to say that. It's like when someone who works in aircraft maintenance says they'd never fly commercial because the mechanics are lazy, or a doctor says they'd never get treated in a hospital because its germy. I've met people who work in the central bank who are so confident that every bank is ****ed they wanna keep cash in their mattress.

I'm not saying any of them are wrong. I'm sort of saying that the world is held together by string.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

mfceiling wrote: »
    Revealed: Facebook’s global lobbying against data privacy laws

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2019/mar/02/facebook-global-lobbying-campaign-against-data-privacy-laws-investment?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Enda Kenny happy enough to side with Facebook's desire to bypass those pesky privacy laws we have in Europe.
    The more I hear about Fakebook the happier I am that I deleted my account years ago. How much more information do they need on people?

But that’s the simple thing about Facebook, don’t like what they do, don’t use it. There’s nothing new in that article really, everyone knows that all corporations lobby politicians for their interests. Everyone knows governments bend over and take it in the ass to secure FDI and the jobs it will bring. Everyone moans about their data being used. The data they freely gave to use a service.

stephen_n wrote: »
    But that’s the simple thing about Facebook, don’t like what they do, don’t use it. There’s nothing new in that article really, everyone knows that all corporations lobby politicians for their interests. Everyone knows governments bend over and take it in the ass to secure FDI and the jobs it will bring. Everyone moans about their data being used. The data they freely gave to use a service.

Great so long as they are only recording, acquiring and selling data from people with active Facebook accounts

Great so long as they are only recording, acquiring and selling data from people with active Facebook accounts

Is there evidence to the contrary?

Is there evidence to the contrary?

Yes absolutely. Zuckerberg was questioned about it in congress. Facebook themselves have written engineering blog posts about the process.

They’re by far the least trustworthy and most dangerous of the big SV companies.

Yes absolutely. Zuckerberg was questioned about it in congress. Facebook themselves have written engineering blog posts about the process.

They’re by far the least trustworthy and most dangerous of the big SV companies.

I will look that up so, didn’t think they extended beyond their own platforms.

It always strikes me as funny in all these discussions how easy a ride google gets in this though.

I will look that up so, didn’t think they extended beyond their own platforms.

It always strikes me as funny in all these discussions how easy a ride google gets in this though.

Google have generally had a far, far better record in these matters. So they get an easier ride.

And though they've started straying from good conduct, we've seen a raft of very senior engineers resigning over it

Non-Facebook users get what's known as a shadow profile.

• Advertisement

Google have generally had a far, far better record in these matters. So they get an easier ride.

And though they've started straying from good conduct, we've seen a raft of very senior engineers resigning over it

Is it worth using duckduckgo? Does it save one from ads for something you showed a vague interest in following you around the internet?

Is it worth using duckduckgo? Does it save one from ads for something you showed a vague interest in following you around the internet?

Duckduckgo's search algorithm is horrible, it'll drive you back to Google fairly fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Fairly heavy snow in Dublin CC now. I walked to work in a T Shirt on Wednesday.

I've my default browser set to Firefox Focus and its default search engine to DuckDuckGo.
    DDG is fairly pants unless you throw quite a bit of information into the query, but it gets me what I need most of the time.
    Firefox Focus clears all browsing history, cookies etc. every time you leave it. Has a big bin icon in the bottom right to clear the current session. It's pretty great.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Stay in Aix-en-Provence. I can't recommend it enough and it's a half hour bus from Marseille. Definitely go to Marseille for a day trip or two to the Vieux Port and Notre Dame de la Garde.

You've the pick of places to go on the Cote d'Azur and surrounds really. Avignon is worth a day trip as well.

I live in Aix. If you need any info, recommendations or even a house to rent give me a shout.

Google are responsible for the retargeting ads, which I suppose is less nefarious than the Facebook use of data, but bloody annoying.

Always wondered why people would share their contacts with Facebook. Even when I signed up to Facebook when it was starting out, there was no way I was doing that. Collecting IP address’s is a bit concerning to be honest, especially when they freely admit they’re not using them for advertising.

Collecting IP address’s is a bit concerning to be honest, especially when they freely admit they’re not using them for advertising.

Every single website you access collects your IP. And stores it against an access record. Including your location and internet provider.

Every single website you access collects your IP. And stores it against an access record. Including your location and internet provider.

But they’re collecting it from other peoples websites, if not for advertising then it must have some purpose. Given what their algorithm’s can do, they could build a profile of you based simply on what sites your IP address shows up on. That’s radically different to individual sites recording your IP address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

God bless cookies

• Advertisement

That is not inherently true. It’s just likely. And a lot of smaller sites, I.E. SMEs or hobby sites, won’t keep access logs for a particularly long time or use that kind of data in any business logic.

But they’re collecting it from other peoples websites, if not for advertising then it must have some purpose. Given what their algorithm’s can do, they could build a profile of you based simply on what sites your IP address shows up on. That’s radically different to individual sites recording your IP address.

Did anyone else go "oh, sh1t" when reading this?

Just me? Yeah right, lads!

I wonder how accurate these targeted ads actually are. I started using instagram about 18 months ago. I don't post very much but I follow various different things which interest me.

The last few days have been sponsored ads for a gym in raheny (I live in terenure) and t-shirts from a shop in Ukraine. WTF?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi all, just dropping by to let you know that we have just started an AMA with Sean Farrell, rugby journalist from The42.ie. If you have any Six Nations or general rugby related things you'd like to pick his brains about, you'll find the thread here. Thanks!

Does pornhub have a like Facebook symbol? Asking for a friend.

Hi all, just dropping by to let you know that we have just started an AMA with Sean Farrell, rugby journalist from The42.ie. If you have any Six Nations or general rugby related things you'd like to pick his brains about, you'll find the thread here. Thanks!

Someone should ask about Zebo and get him banned from the rugby forum :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The Farrellisation of rugby has to stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

It's the Dunnes stores car park, on a grey drizzly Monday evening, what possible f*cking reason could you have for taking a selfie

I remember when Beverly Hills 90210 was THE series to watch on TV.

In the days when the TV took 5 minutes to warm up and you recorded episodes on a video cassette recorder.

RIP Dylan

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Still reeling from Keith Flint.

Not that many in Ireland would put Flint and Perry alongside one another but that's two major icons of 90s culture gone in the space of 8 hours.

:mad:

FFS.

EU banning daylight savings.

I see you guys have to vote on the issue. No doubt the government will recommend option A, you will all vote option B, there will be a small tweak to the referendum, and you will all vote option A a few months later.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement