Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

Zzippy wrote: »
    I haven't time to read everything that's happening. Care to give us a synopsis?

IdealIlliterateFoxhound-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

troyzer wrote: »
    Brexit.
    Is.
    ****ed.

It certainly seems that way when you're queuing almost 2 hours to exchange your NI driving licence for a ROI one and there's still 30 people ahead of you in the queue. FML.

I haven't time to read everything that's happening. Care to give us a synopsis?

Basically she came back from Brussels with a claim of a breakthrough. The EU haven't given her anything that they hadn't already offered.

The British Attorney General claims that the "changes" aren't enough for him to issue legal advice stating that the UK has the right to unilaterally withdraw from the backstop.

So basically we're back where we started and the DUP and hard right Tories said they're going to vote it down. They will only accept a deal that lets the UK tear up the backstop.

She's going to get battered in this vote much like the one in January. So much time wasted on nothing.

Hilariously, Jacob Rees Mogg asked the Attorney General if Britain can simply withdraw anyway and screw international law.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

This will end in either a no deal or a general election. I’ve no idea what would happen to Brexit in the event of the latter. I’m assuming May would need to request an extension to enable a new Government to be formed and to choose their direction. It’s such a complete mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

So driving to the Ulster Leinster QF. Now Brexit may be delayed but if it isn't that will be Brexit Day 1. Therefore will I need one of these greencards to drive in RoI? Without it will I be insured?

Also I read of plans for border protests on the 30th...potential for issues getting to the match!!

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    This will end in either a no deal or a general election. I’ve no idea what would happen to Brexit in the event of the latter. I’m assuming May would need to request an extension to enable a new Government to be formed and to choose their direction. It’s such a complete mess.

A general election may be what is needed to convince the EU to agree to an extension.

Tonight will be great TV...watching Sky News...never thought I'd say that

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

will a general election not just mean a guaranteed no deal brexit???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Good start to the week. up €40 and if last goes my way it'll be great start to the week
    Anyone else got tips for the week?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    will a general election not just mean a guaranteed no deal brexit???

Well there could be an extension to A50.

Nobody knows, we might get a clearer picture tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

bilston wrote: »
    Well there could be an extension to A50.

Nobody knows, we might get a clearer picture tonight.

Looking more and more like a hard Brexit. I'd say there's little appetite for an extension in the EU, especially considering the UK has had 2 years to decide what it wants but is unable to. What would an extension achieve?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Good start to the week. up €40 and if last goes my way it'll be great start to the week
    Anyone else got tips for the week?

Are you following the threads in horse racing?

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you following the threads in horse racing?
    kind of. i watch racing quite a lot so based on that and then have some friends who're very big into the horses so take tips off them

So driving to the Ulster Leinster QF. Now Brexit may be delayed but if it isn't that will be Brexit Day 1. Therefore will I need one of these greencards to drive in RoI? Without it will I be insured?

Also I read of plans for border protests on the 30th...potential for issues getting to the match!!

Even now supply chain in many areas is starting to run into trouble, the nearer we get to the deadline the greater amount of supply chain is going to be held back. A director of sales I know for a fairly big fmcg told me yesterday that we're around a week away from some pretty dramatic headlines in the papers. It's not just going to go bang on the day. Insurers are already sending out notices about coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Even now supply chain in many areas is starting to run into trouble, the nearer we get to the deadline the greater amount of supply chain is going to be held back. A director of sales I know for a fairly big fmcg told me yesterday that we're around a week away from some pretty dramatic headlines in the papers. It's not just going to go bang on the day. Insurers are already sending out notices about coverage.

Insurers are still holding off on issuing green cards, even though customers may need them on March 30th. Apparently they usually take 4 weeks to issue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

And it's a no again

Insurers are still holding off on issuing green cards, even though customers may need them on March 30th. Apparently they usually take 4 weeks to issue.

Insurers can make up the rules themselves on March 30th. French insured truck crashes in Southampton? French insurer has just decided that it's the French legal system which they want to litigate under because now there is no supervisory court. They refuse to pay unless it's litigated in France as this is beneficial to them.

This is the immediate basic reality of no-deal Brexit. A System that requires a vast amount of rules will suddenly have no rules.

Insurers can make up the rules themselves on March 30th. French insured truck crashes in Southampton? French insurer has just decided that it's the French legal system which they want to litigate under because now there is no supervisory court. They refuse to pay unless it's litigated in France as this is beneficial to them.

This is the immediate basic reality of no-deal Brexit. A System that requires a vast amount of rules will suddenly have no rules.

So basically the French truck driver is considered by the UK to be driving without insurance, and his truck is impounded? Insurance companies are leaving customers in the lurch with this carry-on, they could easly issue green cards in case of a no-deal Brexit to permit their customers to continue with their business, but instead customers don't know what's going on and if they will be able to drive across the border in 17 days time.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

There's to be a grace period for Northern Irish drivers in the south, but not the other way round - https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0307/1034888-green-cards-qa/

dregin wrote: »
    There's to be a grace period for Northern Irish drivers in the south, but not the other way round - https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0307/1034888-green-cards-qa/

The UK is to unveil its plans for the border tomorrow so maybe there will be mention of this.

The UK is to unveil its plans for the border.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The Cleveland Browns will be fun to watch next September.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The Cleveland Browns will be fun to watch next September.

What’s that got to do with Brexit?

stephen_n wrote: »

Absolute nothing.

It just looks like the Browns finally have their offense.

They're based in Newry but play their home matches in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Odell Beckham Jnr. had some extemely outspoken positions regarding the backstop and any unilateral withdrawal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Odell Beckham Jr is a member of the DUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Buer wrote: »
    Odell Beckham Jnr. had some extemely outspoken positions regarding the backstop and any unilateral withdrawal.

Is that one of David Beckham’s kids? Surprised he’d be outspoken, more soft spoken you’d think, unless he takes after Posh Spice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ugh...tore my ACL skiing.

Paris marathon in 5 weeks looking a smidgen unlikely...

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Ugh...tore my ACL skiing.

Paris marathon in 5 weeks looking a smidgen unlikely...

I've torn my MCL before, it's horrible. I can only imagine how bad an ACL tear is.

• Advertisement

Can someone explain the appeal of horse racing to me

$$$$$$$

Oh, and $$$$$$$.

Some of my mates have booked the week off work and are going to the pub all week. While I can obviously see the appeal of spending the week in the pub, I wouldn't want to waste my time off work on only that.

Speed/power of the horses combined with the betting, craic if you go racing.
    Think ive worked at 10 of the 26 courses in Ireland in the past 12 months in one role or another and would have went racing quite a bit on top of that

Speed/power of the horses combined with the betting, craic if you go racing.
    Think ive worked at 10 of the 26 courses in Ireland in the past 12 months in one role or another and would have went racing quite a bit on top of that

Hmmm. You're either a barman, a bookie or one of those "hustlers" doing the 3 card tricks for 50 quid a go...

Hmmm. You're either a barman, a bookie or one of those "hustlers" doing the 3 card tricks for 50 quid a go...
    :D
    Bit of all 3...
    Spend all my time betting, in bars, at concerts all "working"..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

Some of my mates have booked the week off work and are going to the pub all week. While I can obviously see the appeal of spending the week in the pub, I wouldn't want to waste my time off work on only that.

My idea of hell... just posted elsewhere this very thought!

My idea of hell... just posted elsewhere this very thought!

One day of it sounds like heaven. Chilled out pints, a few bets, craic with the lads. After that, no thanks...

Wife calls this morning and tells me she got a tip from a lad in work (he would be a horse mad fellow). Top Of The Game...Told her to stick the mortgage on it...Just checked there and it won at 4 to 1!!

I didn't back it.

FML.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Wife calls this morning and tells me she got a tip from a lad in work (he would be a horse mad fellow). Top Of The Game...Told her to stick the mortgage on it...Just checked there and it won at 4 to 1!!

I didn't back it.

FML.

She keeps the winnings and spends it all on a new handbag?

She keeps the winnings and spends it all on a new handbag?

She doesn't know how to bet. Asked me to go to the bookies and put 50 quid on for her. I forgot all about it.

• Advertisement

She doesn't know how to bet. Asked me to go to the bookies and put 50 quid on for her. I forgot all about it.

Uh oh. Have you gone home yet?

I've torn my MCL before, it's horrible. I can only imagine how bad an ACL tear is.

It is surprisingly not remotely painful. Like standing on ****ing jelly though.

Uh oh. Have you gone home yet?

Here from 4!!

Here from 4!!

She must be fierce tolerant

Podge_irl wrote: »

It is surprisingly not remotely painful. Like standing on ****ing jelly though.

That's what I meant. You just have no confidence in it. It does occasionally sting a little but could be going up the stairs, twist your knee a certain way and all of the strength goes out.

You're so self conscious and overthink everything. I can only imagine what it's like for a pro athelete going back after a long lay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So what do you want?

I can tell you what I don’t want.

Yes, but what do you want?

Well not those things over there.

So what do you want then?

Not what we agreed to.

Such a complete clusterf***. It’s actually more embarrassing than Trump at this stage.

molloyjh wrote: »
    So what do you want?

I can tell you what I don’t want.

Yes, but what do you want?

Well not those things over there.

So what do you want then?

Not what we agreed to.

Such a complete clusterf***. It’s actually more embarrassing than Trump at this stage.

The Malthouse compromise says it all. The name suggests it's a proposed compromise between the UK and the EU. It's not. It's a compromise between the remain and Brexit wings of a single political party.

They still think this is about them and their own ****. The EU is standing there telling them that the Tories can agree to it amongst themselves all they want but the EU won't go for it.

It would be like me and my girlfriend getting a bill for our dinner. The waiter stands there waiting for us to pay whilst we agree between us that neither of us will pay. Sheer lunacy.

That's what I meant. You just have no confidence in it. It does occasionally sting a little but could be going up the stairs, twist your knee a certain way and all of the strength goes out.

You're so self conscious and overthink everything. I can only imagine what it's like for a pro athelete going back after a long lay off.

Yeah, its disconcerting. Going down the non-surgical route for now so let's see how it goes. Alas that means my chances of making it as an international rugby star are probably over.

she got a tip from a lad in work

:eek:

:eek:

Calm down Venjur. Just the tip...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement