Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Buer wrote: »
    Glad you're ok, Stephen. I can only imagine that was a rather scary experience. I would imagine that a lot of us would be similarly stubborn and dismissive to the point where we would drive ourselves to the hospital (if at all).

I've generally had excellent experiences with the health system in the past even with non-critical issues. I previously went to my GP with a lump (turned out to be benign) but within 48 hours I had been seen by a consultant in his clinic, booked in for surgery and was sitting in hospital recovering. I had to spend the bulk of a day on a trolley but so be it.

Any time I have had to bring a child to Temple Street or D-Doc, I have had exceptionally smooth and quick service. When I call D-Doc, I have a phone call back from a nurse within 5 minutes. I have an appoointment with an on call GP within another hour and my child is home having been seen with a prescription within 2 hours of making the initial phone call.

I know there's a huge amount of bitching and moaning about the health service but, in the grand scheme, it's light years ahead of most other nations.

I’m probably the luckiest unlucky person in the world. I had cancer when I was 28 and similarly once I was diagnosed, everything happened extremely quickly and I was treated very quickly, efficiently and honestly with great care. If I had the misfortune of being born in America, my heart attack would have cost me $50,000 and the cancer would have been another $100,000. I’ve no medical insurance, could never afford it. All this was done publicly, I’m alive due to our public health system, because I was lucky enough to be born in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

stephen_n wrote: »
    I’m probably the luckiest unlucky person in the world. I had cancer when I was 28 and similarly once I was diagnosed, everything happened extremely quickly and I was treated very quickly, efficiently and honestly with great care. If I had the misfortune of being born in America, my heart attack would have cost me $50,000 and the cancer would have been another $100,000. I’ve no medical insurance, could never afford it. All this was done publicly, I’m alive due to our public health system, because I was lucky enough to be born in Ireland.

Christ that's a rough rap sheet. Are there any lifestyle changes they're recommending to you? If you're going to the gym at 46 it stands to reason you'd be healthier than most of your peers. Are you eating lard by the tub load or are you just really unlucky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Glad to hear all is ok Stephen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Glad you're alright! Definitely will heed that reminder to get checked - on my to-do list now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

God bless you Stephen. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Wow!! Glad that you're still with us Stephen. Your health is your wealth.
    As Buer says for all the flaws of our health system it's actually pretty damn good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Mike Oxlong

Glad to hear you're doing well Stephen... very sobering thought for some of us in the same age bracket.

I'll try my best not to rise your blood pressure with my posts for a while ;)

Glad to hear you're doing well Stephen... very sobering thought for some of us in the same age bracket.

I'll try my best not to rise your blood pressure with my posts for a while ;)

If Ireland didn’t manage that on Saturday no one will :D serene as the Buddha :)

Glad you are ok Stephen - mind yourself and hope the tan is coming along nicely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Good man Stephen - Driving to the hospital when having a heart attack!!
    Tough out
    Feed those birds!

• Advertisement

Good man Stephen - Driving to the hospital when having a heart attack!!
    Tough out
    Feed those birds!

In retrospect not the cleverest thing I’ve ever done.

In retrospect not the cleverest thing I’ve ever done.

Someone I worked with had a heart attack as he was flying a microlight...managed to land it and was taken to hospital :)

Someone I worked with had a heart attack as he was flying a microlight...managed to land it and was taken to hospital :)

Now that would be scarey :eek:

Father's best mate had a heart attack while out fixing a milking parlour. Drove himself to the hospital (where all the mid Ulster ambulance services are based which was lucky for him). They gave him some kind of medication/injection to increase the blood flow to the heart. He feels grand so gets out of the bed to go back to work. Doctor nearly has a fit...Get back into bed cause you're going for surgery asap!! Treble bypass later and he's back on his feet. Met him recently and he's still smoking like a chimney!! Fool.

Now that would be scarey :eek:

I was in the HARI with the missus at the time doing ivf...he rang asked could I cover for him..said no...he rang again the next day to day he was going in for a triple bypass :)
    He was a lucky lad...think the clotbuster drug saved his Life when he got to the hospital

I was in the HARI with the missus at the time doing ivf...he rang asked could I cover for him..said no...he rang again the next day to day he was going in for a triple bypass :)
    He was a lucky lad...think the clotbuster drug saved his Life when he got to the hospital

Yeah getting to the hospital and getting the blood thiners as quick as possible is vital. Luckily they had given me that with 30 minutes of it starting.

Hope the IVF worked out for you.

Yeah getting to the hospital and getting the blood thiners as quick as possible is vital. Luckily they had given me that with 30 minutes of it starting.

Hope the IVF worked out for you.

That was the 7th attempt and it did...i have an 11yo daughter from it all

I've never accepted the reality that a no-deal Brexit could happen and presumed that at some stage the grown ups would step in and some politically sensible option would surface.

I actually think the UK could be on the verge of doing something really very damaging here and highly consequential for the decades ahead.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I've never accepted the reality that a no-deal Brexit could happen and presumed that at some stage the grown ups would step in and some politically sensible option would surface.

I actually think the UK could be on the verge of doing something really very damaging here and highly consequential for the decades ahead.

Ya think?????

There's literally nothing I would surprised with at this stage.
    The Tory party are in the middle of an existential crisis and don't seem like being able to get their sh!t together to prevent a no deal exit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

It's dreadful to watch but I can't look away. May's speech last night was nothing short of disgraceful and she needs to be removed immediately. I really can't understand her strategy thus far, especially her unwillingness to work on getting some type of cross party consensus on how to move forward. The whole situation isn't helped by Corbyn being totally incompetent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Synode wrote: »
    It's dreadful to watch but I can't look away. May's speech last night was nothing short of disgraceful and she needs to be removed immediately. I really can't understand her strategy thus far, especially her unwillingness to work on getting some type of cross party consensus on how to move forward. The whole situation isn't helped by Corbyn being totally incompetent

And replace her with who though? Ministers are already coming out and saying they'll resign if Johnson takes over, and Raab is an idiot as well who will drive them towards a hard Brexit with no mercy at the cost of the people.

molloyjh wrote: »
    I’d been having that issue too, but did the obvious thing lately that I’d never bothered trying (because it never worked before) and ran the diagnostic. There was some IP address issue that the diagnostic resolved and it’s all good since.

Just tried to run the diagnostic on the modem and it's saying no issues. Wired internet speed often drops drastically for a short period of time while the WiFi is fine. It's driving me up the wall. Every time I try to ring them they say my expected wait time is 30 minutes + and I never bother hanging on.

Edit: I know your post was weeks ago but it popped into my head while cursing Eir :pac:

I saw one reporter on Twitter calling for a no deal Brexit, because the EU 27 would’nt allow the UK in the room, while they discussed an extension. Brexit is literally Britain asking not to be in the room and he wants to spit the dummy when he gets it :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

I saw one reporter on Twitter calling for a no deal Brexit, because the EU 27 would’nt allow the UK in the room, while they discussed an extension. Brexit is literally Britain asking not to be in the room and he wants to spit the dummy when he gets it :confused:

Very timely.

https://www.economist.com/bagehots-notebook/2019/03/22/britain-must-get-used-to-being-outside-the-room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Glad nobody spoiled Alan Partridge because I just watched it yesterday and cried I was laughing so hard

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Are people watching Fleabag? On an hour after Partridge and, apart from last week's highpoint for Partridge, a significantly better show.

dregin wrote: »
    Are people watching Fleabag? On an hour after Partridge and, apart from last week's highpoint for Partridge, a significantly better show.

Watched the first series last year and enjoyed it. I only series linked it last week so think I've missed a couple of episodes. Was that episode 3 on Monday?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

discovered Burts Guinness crisps yesterday ........ yummy !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

the irish consulate in san fran is on the 33rd floor :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

I'm watching it too, this weeks episode was great. Reckon it's improved on the first season. Not your typical one dimensional comedy characters

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's fantastic. Her comic timing is unreal and the chemistry with Andrew Scott is amazing.

It's all over the sports newsfeeds. A certain mma fighter from Dublin may be charged with sexual assault!
    This fighter announced his retirement yesterday.
    If true, this man is a gob****e.

Dubinusa wrote: »
    A certain mma fighter from Dublin is a gob****e.

FYP

What is wrong with him? My God, he's got kids at home.
    He's acting like a corner boy gangster!

What is wrong with him? My God, he's got kids at home.
    He's acting like a corner boy gangster!

You can take the boy out Clondalkin but....

What is wrong with him?

If he has actually sexually assaulted someone then I'd say there is a lot wrong with him.

Regarding his general behaviour I'd say he has too much free time and money on his hands, he has no boundaries and isn't mature enough to set his own ones.

He's basically a rich child surrounded by negative influences, quite a recipe for self-destruction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

New York Times named him. I can see him getting a mistrial.

Anyway, if the rumours are true its a lot worse than sexual assault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Am I allowed to say I didn’t really like Fleabag...even if it costs me hipster points?

It's bizarre his swift fall from grace!
    If he's guilty, they should lock him up. If it's true, he's a disgusting specimen.
    I do recall reading about it in Dec. Had no idea who it was?
    That poor woman. Good God she must have been terrified. What a plonker, if true?

The guadian had a great take on the train wreck that is currently British parliament this morning :D

D2s0mPkXcAIAaGV.jpg

• Advertisement

Irexit starts here :rolleyes:

Jesus, that twitter account.

I really hope we're better than this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

They had a website where the 'candidates' they were saying they were putting forward for election were all stock photos.

I think it's all just a really elaborate piss take.

I'm sure UCD are thrilled to have a professor of science so publicly linked with the group...

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wouldnae worry about it lads.

But honestly....NO POLITICS

I know most of you don't like house music, or many probably don't know what it is. Though I think the last time it came up there were a few who did. For those who do, you may like this. Something I did to ease the boredom.

Feel Good House

Let me show you - K-Klass
    Can u feel it - CLS
    Sugar is Sweeter - CJ BolandArmand Van Helens’ Drum N Bass mix)
    Deeper Love - Clivilles & Cole
    man after midnight - ABBA )Ziggy Phunk Remix
    Hold that sucker down - OT Quartet
    You’re Sunshine - Weiss
    Imagination - Gorgon City
    Hideaway - De’Lacy
    Music sounds better with you -Stardust
    I want your soul - Armand Van Helden
    feel good house - Mall Grab
    Feels so Good - Boots n Kat
    Coma Cat - Tensnake
    Real Life - Duke Dumont & Gorgon city
    my my my - Armand Van Helden
    World Power - I’m happy

That K Klass song is one of my all time favourite tunes as is Hideaway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Some bangers there. Think I mentioned last time that there was bit of an an emergence of tropical house (house with proper musical instruments) in the charts recently.

mfceiling wrote: »
    That K Klass song is one of my all time favourite tunes as is Hideaway.

Hideaway is definitely one of mine, lot of happy memories.

• Advertisement

Some bangers there. Think I mentioned last time that there was bit of an an emergence of tropical house (house with proper musical instruments) in the charts recently.

Yeah there’s loads of good new stuff about, where producers are working with musicians rather than just creating it electronically.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement