Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

stephen_n wrote: »
    He might be coming here this weekend for the Union Cup.

I think that would be exceptionally unlikely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,723 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Can't imagine he'd risk it considering he likely wouldn't be able to get past passport control seeing as he has no legal status in the UK at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I liked the captain stepping in during the interview:

"What impact will it have on you to be sent home?"
    "It's not his home, Kenya is not his home, they UK is his home"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Would not mind seeing them.some time but I have to see the Cure.

Fair enough. I've never been a fan of The Cure. I think a couple of their songs are alright. I was probably prejudiced against them due to a few Goths I went to school with, who were complete dickheads.

Metallica on the other hand are one of my favourite bands. Seen them twice before and they are awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Is that real?

That is amazing.

It's real though it happened 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Is that real?

That is amazing.

I have no idea, but it is definitely very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Can't imagine he'd risk it considering he likely wouldn't be able to get past passport control seeing as he has no legal status in the UK at the moment.

Yeah I suppose, hadn’t really thought of that, can’t risk traveling while that’s ongoing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Metallica at Slane was phenomenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Were you in the pit? Muddy?

kuang1 wrote: »
    Were you in the pit? Muddy?

No, front of Zone A so just behind it.

A bit muddy but nothing too bad. Thankfully the rain stayed away for the most part. I can imagine how awful it can be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

yeah unbelievable. Great gig to work at as well.

Great gig. Really enjoyed it. Don't know why people complain about Slane, I was home having a snack and a whiskey about an hour after Enter Sandman finished. I imagine it's not very pleasant in the pouring rain but same can be said for any outdoor concert, match or event.

Crazy game in Kilkenny, cards everywhere!

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Great gig. Really enjoyed it. Don't know why people complain about Slane, I was home having a snack and a whiskey about an hour after Enter Sandman finished. I imagine it's not very pleasant in the pouring rain but same can be said for any outdoor concert, match or event.

How did you get home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

How did you get home?

Helicopter

How did you get home?

Car. The missus drove. We parked in the VIP carpark so the walk was about 10 minutes. The whole VIP set up was very good. Worth the extra money.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Car. The missus drove. We parked in the VIP carpark so the walk was about 10 minutes. The whole VIP set up was very good. Worth the extra money.

Yea, when you fork out for VIP it’s not bad. Try it with the mere mortals next time.

What were the canapés like? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

VIP was great craic. Enjoyed it there only downside of evening for me was staff buses were held back so late in leaving afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Wicked the musical is unreal.

Not a musical fan by any means but I really enjoyed it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Wicked the musical is unreal.

Not a musical fan by any means but I really enjoyed it

Yeah it’s fantastic.

awec wrote: »
    Yea, when you fork out for VIP it’s not bad. Try it with the mere mortals next time.

What were the canapés like? ;)

They were very tasty. So were the prawn sandwiches. The champagne selection was good but there weren't enough varieties of hipster craft beers. That was disappointing. 😂

I'm too old (and grumpy) to deal with crowds and queues so if there as an option to avoid that, I take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'd pay the extra no bother for that at this point of my life. I recall on Slane gig many moons ago where I didn't get home until almost 4am. By the time we got out of the venue, all the buses were gone. We just walked until they came back to pick up those left behind. It was like a scene from The Walking Dead. We had no idea if they were even coming back. I'd say we covered about 10km before we were on a bus.

We had to walk an hour to the bus but we only queued for ten minutes before leaving. It was very well organised from what I could see.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Very well run. Enjoyed the day, but the lack of proper screens was very frustrating. Will defo be getting at least gold circle tickets next time round. I bailed around 10:30 and was back in Dublin by 12.

dregin wrote: »
    Very well run. Enjoyed the day, but the lack of proper screens was very frustrating. Will defo be getting at least gold circle tickets next time round. I bailed around 10:30 and was back in Dublin by 12.

Those screens were definitely designed for night-time! The graphics for One in particular were phenomenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Has anyone tried the beers from McGargles Brewery in Co. Kildare? To be recommended?

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the beers from McGargles Brewery in Co. Kildare? To be recommended?

I think that's the one Aldi sells, it's pretty good yea

I like them, they do nice IPA's. My only reservation is that they are a bit strong in terms of alcohol content. If you had 3 - 4 during a game you would be sh1t faced.

• Advertisement

I like them, they do nice IPA's. My only reservation is that they are a bit strong in terms of alcohol content. If you had 3 - 4 during a game you would be sh1t faced.

You have to be careful with craft beer in general. You could pick up a nice looking bottle and realise that it's like 8% when you open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Craft generally isn't brewed to be consumed the way we traditionally would consume drink. 4 pints in 2 hours wouldn't be unusual for the likes of the Carlsbergs etc. For a lot of crafts that would be too much. Found an off license in the UK that does an impressive array of crafts. Left Field Beer. Have a shipment on the way and can't wait to try some of it.

They're ok. The big banging IPA weighs in about 8%...Lift your lid off. The regular IPA is about 5% and is ok.
    If you can pick up any beers from the Trouble Brewing brewery in kill co.kildare....they are very good. The Ambush IPA is very nice.
    Whiplash brewery are knocking out some deadly beers - Rollover IPA, Northern lights micro IPA and Bone Machine are well worth trying.
    Even though Beavertown have "sold out" by letting Heineken invest in them, their core range are still good solid beers.

I like craft beers.

The one out of that place in Kildare town is very nice imo

Hard to believe the same town that produced Cill Dara could produce that beer, real diamond in the rough

As Molloy says craft beer aren't really beers for skulling 8 or 10 pints of. More to be enjoyed in small quantities.
    Lads in work laugh at me spending maybe 15 or 20 quid on 4 or 5 cans but it's absolutely great beer that tides me over on a Saturday and Sunday night.
    They want to get at least 18 bottles for 20 quid...Of the blandest p*ss you can imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

mfceiling wrote: »
    As Molloy says craft beer aren't really beers for skulling 8 or 10 pints of. More to be enjoyed in small quantities.
    Lads in work laugh at me spending maybe 15 or 20 quid on 4 or 5 cans but it's absolutely great beer that tides me over on a Saturday and Sunday night.
    They want to get at least 18 bottles for 20 quid...Of the blandest p*ss you can imagine.

You are beautiful, no matter what they say. Words can't bring you down. <hug>

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

mfceiling wrote: »

Depending on which night of the weekend has a match on the box, my routine is to put the kids to bed, get dinner fixed and then drive up to one of the decent off licences and pick up 5 bottles of craft beer for myself. It's one of the few indulgences I have left. I don't see the point of going to the off license and getting 20 bottles of alcoholic sparkling water.

Kinnegar, Black Donkey and Hope (a local brew; some of their new beers are great) are all regulars for me. Brewdog, Trouble Brewing and Sierra Nevada are always reliable too if nothing new or interesting is on the shelf. Had this on Saturday for a change, tasty but wouldn't be drinking more than one or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Currently ten days into 'Dry June'. This thread is killing me right now. The temptation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Currently ten days into 'Dry June'. This thread is killing me right now. The temptation.

June is a terrible month to go dry :pac:

Buer wrote: »
    Depending on which night of the weekend has a match on the box, my routine is to put the kids to bed, get dinner fixed and then drive up to one of the decent off licences and pick up 5 bottles of craft beer for myself. It's one of the few indulgences I have left. I don't see the point of going to the off license and getting 20 bottles of alcoholic sparkling water.

Kinnegar, Black Donkey and Hope (a local brew; some of their new beers are great) are all regulars for me. Brewdog, Trouble Brewing and Sierra Nevada are always reliable too if nothing new or interesting is on the shelf. Had this on Saturday for a change, tasty but wouldn't be drinking more than one or two.

Will have to give that one a shot. I'm all about some good nitro stouts atm. Tough to find, but when you get one they're lovely. But even non-nitro can be great. Had this one a few weeks back and it tastes like a dark chocolate bounty.

https://www.leftfieldbeer.co.uk/store/p307/Death_By_Coconut.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

molloyjh wrote: »
    Will have to give that one a shot. I'm all about some good nitro stouts atm. Tough to find, but when you get one they're lovely. But even non-nitro can be great. Had this one a few weeks back and it tastes like a dark chocolate bounty.

https://www.leftfieldbeer.co.uk/store/p307/Death_By_Coconut.html

And still alive to tell the tale...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hard to believe the same town that produced Cill Dara could produce that beer, real diamond in the rough

Still better than those blue and whites ;)

For those of you that watched Chernobyl on Sky or HBO, the companion podcast is worth a listen. It's Craig Maxim discussing the decisions made during the making of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Buer wrote: »

Met the head brewer of black donkey a year or two ago and managed to trade some goods and services for a couple crates of mixed beers, best deal I've ever made!! Really like the variety of stuff they do.

Getting pretty bored of IPAs to be honest, grand for one or two but that's enough for me. Shame that the vast majority of craft stuff (and definitely the stuff in the pubs) seems to be pretty much only IPAs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Bazzo wrote: »
    Met the head brewer of black donkey a year or two ago and managed to trade some goods and services for a couple crates of mixed beers, best deal I've ever made!! Really like the variety of stuff they do.

Getting pretty bored of IPAs to be honest, grand for one or two but that's enough for me. Shame that the vast majority of craft stuff (and definitely the stuff in the pubs) seems to be pretty much only IPAs.

Kinnegar do an extremely varied range with plenty of saisons in there. They also aim to keep the ABV down. My favourite brewer. O'Hara's still do the best stouts, though.

Saison?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I stopped drinking in the last year but miss the taste of a beer every now and again so I've tried nearly every non alcoholic one out there. Has anyone had any good experiences? Stiegl-Freibier has been the best I've had so far

dregin wrote: »
    Kinnegar do an extremely varied range with plenty of saisons in there. They also aim to keep the ABV down. My favourite brewer. O'Hara's still do the best stouts, though.

Would be a big fan of Kinnegar too. I love rustbucket and the yannaroddy is ultimately the drink that got me into stout. The White Hag stouts (White Sow and Black Sow) were great when they were nitros. Don't think they are nitros now though and aren't as good as a result. They're getting harder and harder to find too.

Am I only one here who likes mass produced commercial lager? As long as it's cold.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Am I only one here who likes mass produced commercial lager? As long as it's cold.

Yes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement